Slipping Clutch? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion

A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Slipping Clutch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member

Default Slipping Clutch?

So I had a rebuild done on my D2 S8 transmission about 20k miles ago and it seems like its slipping??

From a stop, if anything more than very casual acceleration it revs with no movement then thumps into first most times. If you grandma it and let roll first then get on the gas, its fine. Reverse takes a second or two to engage as well. No codes being thrown, checked with VAGCOM, and all other shifting seems fine.

Is it really possible that this thing is going out on me again? I had a filter and flush done a little over a month ago because I first got the longer hard engagement into reverse. Seemed a little better after fluid and flush, then when making a 3pt turn it did it for reverse and first and made me worried. I performed a re-fill procedure this weekend making sure to keep it just barely spilling from the fill hole and running through the gears, etc etc. However it seems its getting worse and not any better.

Any thoughts on this one?
'01-S8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member

Does this only happen after it's warmed up?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, but I think this is a slipping clutch A. Can't say for the reason. My car did this a couple of times (I mean twice) and the transmission died within two weeks (500 kms).

Wish I had better news.
dreamhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nossisnave View Post
Its tough to say. I performed the refill procedure from A8pages on Saturday around noon. Once completed I drove about 10 miles and had a clunking first about halfway in. If went super easy it was fine.

I have drove about 20 miles since Saturday and now. I just went out for lunch and had no issues from work to bank to deli and home. Even gave it a good push from two stop lights and had no issues.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Dref seems worse after it's been warm for a while. Why do u ask?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member

Just trying to compare to what I experience w/ mine recently. It's winter here and when I'd first start the car the transmission would be fine. After drivig only a few miles it would slip and act like it was coming out of gear. We finally pulled it out and replacing the O-ring inside the A clutch because it was in pieces. I'm pretty sure tho gears 1-4 are one clutch housing and 5 and Reverse are another. Mine didn't have any trouble w/ Reverse. Hmmm
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member

If it only happens after it's warmed up it would seem to indicate a similar issue as mine.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Just trying to compare to what I experience w/ mine recently. It's winter here and when I'd first start the car the transmission would be fine. After drivig only a few miles it would slip and act like it was coming out of gear. We finally pulled it out and replacing the O-ring inside the A clutch because it was in pieces. I'm pretty sure tho gears 1-4 are one clutch housing and 5 and Reverse are another. Mine didn't have any trouble w/ Reverse. Hmmm
Did yours last long before your repair? Mine gave up so quickly I thought I hit a pothole before realizing it was in limp mode. The couple of times it slipped the transmission was fully warmed up. The first time it went into limp mode was also after warm-up.

From what I gathered, there're 3 'clutches', 3 'brakes', and one 'low sprag' (or 7 clutches):

P: F
R: CF
N: F
D1: AL
D2: AE
D3: AD
D4: AB
D5: BD
M1: AFL

The problem I have is with A. Yesterday I drove 40 km to the transmission shop in 5th on hilly French roads - very stressful.
dreamhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member

Dreamhope, not sure how long it had been slipping. I didn't investigate enough before purchasing the car; it did it the first day I put it on the road. My fault for not checking it thoroughly. I think it was probably doing it for the previous owner and he just passed it on to me.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member

So I have obviously been driving her around because she is my daily at this point, and she has been much better it seems. Reverse takes a second to engage but starts have been thump free and smooth. I have obviously not been pushing her hard at all but if i do give her a push, she moves right along.

One thing I did notice however is upon startup, You can hear what sounds like the flywheel spinning and whining quite loudly. I say flywheel because of 2 things, its whining even in park, and it varies with rpm speed.

Does anyone know what the cause of this may be? Is it possible that it is low on fluid and its not coating the flywheel and thats why Im hearing it?

We followed the A8pages procedure to a T.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member

What is temp outside when this happens. The whining sound you hear? Its not steering related. The reason I ask my steering pump makes a whining sounds then the temps are below 10 f its fine above that.

Trans could be a little low on fluid too.

Last edited by scooterfree62; 02-17-2014 at 05:42 AM.
scooterfree62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
AudiWorld Member

It has been super cold out here in NY. But it def sounds like its coming from the trans.

I hear that whine when i turn my wheel alllllll the way to the sides. Its not that same whine
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member

How many quarts of fluid did you put in? Should have been seven or eight quarts. Depends on how long you let it drain.

Does the trans still whine when it is warmed up?

Sounds like you are sucking air by something.

Low oil level, filter not sealing on valve body, and suction port to trans oil pump. to name a few

New oil is thicker so maybe in this colder weather it is drawing air thru a some what weaker area. which will foam the oil and can make the trans shift funny. not having a dip stick to check the oil for a foaming condition other than removing the fill plug and checking there.

I live in Vermont so yes I understand it has been cold here to -10 to +10 here today.

I hope this might help out or a direction to go.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
AudiWorld Member

As long as you didn't take a long time pumping fluid back in it should be at the correct level.

The flywheel is bolted to the torque converter but has no contact w/ the trans fluid, so there won't be any coating on it. If trans fluid could touch the flywheel you'd qucikly burn the transmission up because it would POUR out the two holes on the bottom of the bell housing that are open to air.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterfree62 View Post
How many quarts of fluid did you put in? Should have been seven or eight quarts. Depends on how long you let it drain.
I had the filter changed about a month ago. Car sat on lift for 4 days because I had to wait for new Trans pan bolts. Not sure how many shop filled it with, and it was acting up a little bit so I performed fill procedure myself a few weeks later. Not much came out when we took off fill plug. Then ran it through all gears pumping in fluid to a steady overflow in each gear, yada yada. Put it in park and let it suck up more to overflow then capped it off.

Quote:
Does the trans still whine when it is warmed up?
Yes but not anywhere near as much as when it is first started after sitting for a bit

Quote:
Sounds like you are sucking air by something.

Low oil level, filter not sealing on valve body, and suction port to trans oil pump. to name a few
Hmmmmm... how would I check if there is air or a suction problem.

Quote:
I live in Vermont so yes I understand it has been cold here to -10 to +10 here today.

I hope this might help out or a direction to go.
I would love to figure this problem out as oppose to getting rid of the car.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member

Default trans level

Okay I think when you finish topping the fluid off while the trans is still cold. You run the trans thru all the gear ranges Then you run the car at a idle and this is what Audi manual said:
If the ATF level is correct, a small amount of fluid will come out at the ATF inspection plug when the ATF temperature is between 30 and 45 C → Note. (the fluid level will rise slightly as the temperature increases).

You may have over fill it. if you didn't let the trans get to proper temp before installing the fill plug. Over filling could cause foaming of the oil too if the oil level gets high enough.

also if the trans temp was to high when adjusting the level could cause oil level to be lower when cold.

Also the car must be level. while checking the fluid level.

To check for fluid foaming open the fill plug see if there is a lot of small bubbles in the oil.

Here is some more info in Audi repair manual about oil level

Note:
The ATF level will vary according to the temperature of the ATF.
Checking the ATF level when the temperature is too low will lead to overfilling.
Checking the ATF level when the temperature is too high will lead to under-filling.
Overfilling or under-filling the ATF impairs the function of the transmission.
The ATF temperature is read from -VAS5051- or -VAG1551-.

Hopefully this helps out. The above items are possible to cause issues you are having. not sure if they are only problem.