A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is temp outside when this happens. The whining sound you hear? Its not steering related. The reason I ask my steering pump makes a whining sounds then the temps are below 10 f its fine above that.

Trans could be a little low on fluid too.

Last edited by scooterfree62; 02-17-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

It has been super cold out here in NY. But it def sounds like its coming from the trans.

I hear that whine when i turn my wheel alllllll the way to the sides. Its not that same whine
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How many quarts of fluid did you put in? Should have been seven or eight quarts. Depends on how long you let it drain.

Does the trans still whine when it is warmed up?

Sounds like you are sucking air by something.

Low oil level, filter not sealing on valve body, and suction port to trans oil pump. to name a few

New oil is thicker so maybe in this colder weather it is drawing air thru a some what weaker area. which will foam the oil and can make the trans shift funny. not having a dip stick to check the oil for a foaming condition other than removing the fill plug and checking there.

I live in Vermont so yes I understand it has been cold here to -10 to +10 here today.

I hope this might help out or a direction to go.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

As long as you didn't take a long time pumping fluid back in it should be at the correct level.

The flywheel is bolted to the torque converter but has no contact w/ the trans fluid, so there won't be any coating on it. If trans fluid could touch the flywheel you'd qucikly burn the transmission up because it would POUR out the two holes on the bottom of the bell housing that are open to air.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scooterfree62
How many quarts of fluid did you put in? Should have been seven or eight quarts. Depends on how long you let it drain.
I had the filter changed about a month ago. Car sat on lift for 4 days because I had to wait for new Trans pan bolts. Not sure how many shop filled it with, and it was acting up a little bit so I performed fill procedure myself a few weeks later. Not much came out when we took off fill plug. Then ran it through all gears pumping in fluid to a steady overflow in each gear, yada yada. Put it in park and let it suck up more to overflow then capped it off.

Does the trans still whine when it is warmed up?
Yes but not anywhere near as much as when it is first started after sitting for a bit

Sounds like you are sucking air by something.

Low oil level, filter not sealing on valve body, and suction port to trans oil pump. to name a few
Hmmmmm... how would I check if there is air or a suction problem.

I live in Vermont so yes I understand it has been cold here to -10 to +10 here today.

I hope this might help out or a direction to go.
I would love to figure this problem out as oppose to getting rid of the car.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default trans level

Okay I think when you finish topping the fluid off while the trans is still cold. You run the trans thru all the gear ranges Then you run the car at a idle and this is what Audi manual said:
If the ATF level is correct, a small amount of fluid will come out at the ATF inspection plug when the ATF temperature is between 30° and 45° C → Note. (the fluid level will rise slightly as the temperature increases).

You may have over fill it. if you didn't let the trans get to proper temp before installing the fill plug. Over filling could cause foaming of the oil too if the oil level gets high enough.

also if the trans temp was to high when adjusting the level could cause oil level to be lower when cold.

Also the car must be level. while checking the fluid level.

To check for fluid foaming open the fill plug see if there is a lot of small bubbles in the oil.

Here is some more info in Audi repair manual about oil level

Note:
The ATF level will vary according to the temperature of the ATF.
Checking the ATF level when the temperature is too low will lead to overfilling.
Checking the ATF level when the temperature is too high will lead to under-filling.
Overfilling or under-filling the ATF impairs the function of the transmission.
The ATF temperature is read from -VAS5051- or -VAG1551-.

Hopefully this helps out. The above items are possible to cause issues you are having. not sure if they are only problem.