A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up problem

These past few days I felt the car heavy. Every morning I have to crank it 2 to 3 times to get it running. Last problem I had with it was 1 of the tip of the gas line was corroded and caused no fuel to injectors. Anyone have ever had a start up problem like this?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you running an ethanol rich fuel?
Ethanol absorbs water and is great for corroding fuel systems not designed for it.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put super unleaded every time. It seems like it's starving for gas because it'll start up barely then it'll get gong but if I try to give gas it'll just die then I have to crank it again.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
If not it's an easy DIY job. I'd be trying that first.
But otherwise it sounds like the fuel pump may be on the way out, or you have a split in the fuel line preventing the system from properly pressurising
(This happened to me inside the fuel pump assembly - bugger to find).

Symptoms can also be failed fuel pressure regulator (these don't fail that often) or injector leak down (would normally be fine once the car starts).
Old 11-06-2015, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't you have a crank-no-start issue early this year, when you put it up for sale as is?

Did you solve that problem then? ...what was it?
Old 11-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes silver d2. The 1st time was the crank position sensor. Then the 2nd time 1 of my coil packs took a **** on me. 3rd time last year was 1 of the fuel lines being corroded the mechanic said. Now I have to crank 3 times for it to start and when it does it sputters like it's about to cut off n when I give it gas it cuts off. I've changed the fuEl filter, fuel pump, coil packs, the cars computer, naff sensor, crank position sensor within the past 10 months.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How was the fuel pump done - new whole assembly or new pump in the old assembly?
If latter, I'd be checking hoses.

Can you hear any noise (sort of like hearing a hose spray nozzle in a bucket) when you prime the pump (first two seconds the key is turned to Run (not start) on first insertion of key)?

We're sort of stabbing in the dark here, but it seems you're lacking fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure regulators are cheap
How much of the corroded fuel line was renewed (still blocked?)
Has the car been scanned? Cam position sensor? After start relay?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The fuel pump was new with a used assembly. I have like 3 assemblies. It's hard to hear anything. I'm going to see tomorrow I'll have my son turn the key whIle I jump in the trunk. And yes 27 litres it seems like it's lacking pressure. I guess the mechanic got rid of the corroded part only. I'll be calling him to ask which 1 it was so I could check for myself. All this work I've done I know this car like the back of my hand. I'll keep you guys posted. And thank you guys a bunch
Old 11-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Today had my son turn the key on whIle I was in the trunk I could hear the fuel pump priming. But seems like there's no fuel gettin to the engine I have to crank it now more than 5 time to get it started
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dumb question I haven't asked yet:
How full is the fuel tank?
Have you tried chucking a litre or two (couple of quarts) of fuel down the filler neck and seeing how it starts then?

Quick Reply: Start up problem