A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strangest problem: Central locking system reversed. Dont know where to start.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest problem: Central locking system reversed. Dont know where to start.

Hi everybody, I'm new here but not new to Audi's. I have had a b5 a4, and currently also have a b7 a4.

On to the question: I picked up a 2001 s8, got a good deal on it and overall seems like a solid car. The issue here is when you try to lock the car, it unlocks instead. And vice versa. So, for example when I push the lock button on either the key fob or with the key whole, the arms activates, interior lights dim, and the horn beers. But the actual doors UNLOCK.

Same when you unlock, alarm disarms, lights come on, but the doors then lock.

Also, when I shut the car off and remove the key from the ignition, it locks me in.

I have no idea where to start, the system seems to work fine, it's just backwards.

I do know the battery was replaced recently with an oem one, if that helps.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smsayler
Hi everybody, I'm new here but not new to Audi's. I have had a b5 a4, and currently also have a b7 a4.

On to the question: I picked up a 2001 s8, got a good deal on it and overall seems like a solid car. The issue here is when you try to lock the car, it unlocks instead. And vice versa. So, for example when I push the lock button on either the key fob or with the key whole, the arms activates, interior lights dim, and the horn beers. But the actual doors UNLOCK.

Same when you unlock, alarm disarms, lights come on, but the doors then lock.

Also, when I shut the car off and remove the key from the ignition, it locks me in.

I have no idea where to start, the system seems to work fine, it's just backwards.

I do know the battery was replaced recently with an oem one, if that helps.

Thanks!
One of two things have happened.
1) someone replaced the pump integrated in the unit and the polarity is reversed...
2) the vacuum lines are connected backwards (doubtful) different sizes

or 3) I am wrong

-Richard
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audinutt
One of two things have happened.
1) someone replaced the pump integrated in the unit and the polarity is reversed...
2) the vacuum lines are connected backwards (doubtful) different sizes

or 3) I am wrong

-Richard
Thanks Richard.

I have a buddy who is going to plug her in and try to reprogram the codes first and see if that fixes it. Other wise I'll pull it apart and see if the polarity is backwards.

Also worth mentioning, my car has the common clogged a/c drain issue so the floor has been wet. I removed all the matts and vacuumed it dry and iys currently airing out.

Any chance electronics getting wet could have caused this?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, first off you're going to need an old priest and a young priest, then get about a gallon of Holy water. Let us know when you're ready to begin.

:P

Seriously though, what a strange issue. I wish I could help but I'm in for the answers.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So my buddy fixed it... Changed a couple of the coding options for the locking system and then changed it back. Problem solved. BTW he is what some would call an "expert".
Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by smsayler
So my buddy fixed it... Changed a couple of the coding options for the locking system and then changed it back. Problem solved. BTW he is what some would call an "expert".
What exactly was the fix. I appear to have the same problem on my A4 b5.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDevon
What exactly was the fix.
VCDS and an 'expert' apparently!

If you've got VCDS, try changing central locking coding to something different, then change it back to what it was (or you want).

This is assuming your B5 has factory remotes (mind didn't, had aftermarket system installed)
Old 04-24-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DoubleDevon
What exactly was the fix. I appear to have the same problem on my A4 b5.
I honestly don't know, he plugged it in to vag com and played around with it and fixed it. Are you in Minnesota?