A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt tension

Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argh, I put 50 miles on the car today and came home to a pending P0022. Everything's still lined up perfectly under the valve cover

I thought I'd get out of this w/o having to buy a new adjuster. What a bummer

it's driving pretty nicely though, definitely have to replace some control arm bushings but I'm happy to report that the transmission seems to have no issues. I did 3-4 WOT pulls from 0-45 trying to get some slip out of it but it seems fine

I will definitely have to replace those rims too. Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff to fix before the cosmetics =)
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I probably should not admit this here but I went for the $150 ebay adjuster and it actually seems to be working very well. I'll keep this topic updated if I have issues with it - I didn't see a lot of info on the net about people using the aftermarket ones.

I followed the procedure outlined in the bentley manual and gave it 1/2 hour to settle after de-tensioning it. It took about 5 seconds of cranking to start it the first time (a little more than normal) and it made a disgusting chain noise once it fired but it's been perfect ever since. Even passed inspection today!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fn_42
So I probably should not admit this here but I went for the $150 ebay adjuster and it actually seems to be working very well. I'll keep this topic updated if I have issues with it - I didn't see a lot of info on the net about people using the aftermarket ones.

I followed the procedure outlined in the bentley manual and gave it 1/2 hour to settle after de-tensioning it. It took about 5 seconds of cranking to start it the first time (a little more than normal) and it made a disgusting chain noise once it fired but it's been perfect ever since. Even passed inspection today!!!
I have a Chinese adjuster (under $140 including shipping) sitting on the shelf right now that I fully intend to install (bank 2) eventually...I have no fear of it functioning anything but correctly.

When I swapped out my bank 1 adjuster (bargain priced OEM adjuster, but still about $375), having learned from past similar repairs, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine with the starter for about 5 total minutes (in 30 sec increments) to pre-oil the motor...start-up was quick, smooth and rattle-free.

Please keep us posted...most posters on this and other forums have been "scared" (for no proven reason) to order the cheap adjusters and paid near full price ($550-$750) for OEM replacements.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the $150 replacement tensioner is done for, sadly! It's giving me a chain rattle on startup now if it sits overnight.

I had someone else start the car today while I listened under the hood and I'm 95% sure it's coming from bank 2

There's 850 miles on this tensioner by my count. Debating whether or not I should try to warranty swap it or just get a new OEM one
Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fn_42
I think the $150 replacement tensioner is done for, sadly! It's giving me a chain rattle on startup now if it sits overnight.

I had someone else start the car today while I listened under the hood and I'm 95% sure it's coming from bank 2

There's 850 miles on this tensioner by my count. Debating whether or not I should try to warranty swap it or just get a new OEM one
This very reason is why I buy genuine audi parts, especially for labor intensive jobs... not worth it to do the job twice.

-Richard
Old 11-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audinutt
This very reason is why I buy genuine audi parts, especially for labor intensive jobs... not worth it to do the job twice.

-Richard
I've already done it twice haha, I was about to do a timing belt anyway so I'm not that upset

I ordered an OEM one, for the same price as a new set of tires (ouch)... Fingers crossed that this is the last of the big repair jobs since they'll be a lot tougher in the winter