A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission replaced, A8 lives again

Old 03-14-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission replaced, A8 lives again

August 2014, my reverse stopped working. I was devastated. I have owned this car since 2005 and it has a special place in my heart. It looked to be a huge expense and I needed to do some research. My car was always maintained and there was nothing else wrong with the car so I knew I would repair at some point. I just needed to choose what I felt was the right repair for my car. There were cheap options like used transmissions from a junk yard but not knowing the condition of the transmission meant it wasnt an option for me. Finding the right mechanic to do the repair at a price I could justify was the other issue.

I think I found the perfect combination. I chose to purchase the transmission from Eriksson Industries (ZF Parts Eriksson Industries). After a lot of research, I didnt find any negative comments but found a lot of recommendations. The transmission looked great ( see pictures ) and based on the information they provided on what is done in the rebuild, I should have many years of trouble free service.

I also had a mechanic that I found last year who did my timing belt service. He is located 30 minutes from where I work and has the background of having worked for an Audi dealership. Chris from Fourward Motors did such a good job on the timing belt service and at an amazing price that I felt confident he was the right choice for the transmission. Chris doesnt rush. He takes his time to make sure the job is done right and doesnt nickel and dime you.

I had all this done for less than $4,000 out the door....thanks Chris.

It feels great to have the car back and at 100%.
Attached Images