A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Pod stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vacuum Pod stuck

Hi all,

The bottom nut that holds the passenger side vacuum pod for the staged intake manifold system is seized on so I cannot remove it to replace the vacuum pod.

I rounded the head after trying a 13mm wrench as well as locking pliers. Quite the mess. Any ideas?

I think since I am replacing the pod, if I could somehow cut the vacuum nipple off of the bottom of the pod, I could access the T14 torx screw that holds the mount for the entire pod, and take the mount out with the pod, and find a better place to set the whole thing on fire until the bolt loosens.

But before I resort to that...
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider this resolved.

Recap: The nut holding the intake manifold flapper vacuum pod onto it's mount is seized and rounded to hell with a 13mm wrench not helping...

Fix:

1) Buy a replacement vacuum pod (you will destroy the existing one in the process)
2) Unhook the vacuum line underneath the pod (helps to push a little with a flathead screwdriver if it doesn't come off easily) as well as the popping the linkage off of the top of the pod if it's still attached (mine was not as the plastic on the pod itself had broken)
3) Get some vice grip locking pliers, and grab onto the vacuum pod anywhere, break the pod away from it's mount, (the plastic will separate from the metal stud that holding it onto it's mount)
4) Now you see just the stud with nut seized on keeping the stud onto the mount which is fastened to the engine block. Undo the mount at the engine block. One Hex head cap screw.
5) go hack the nut and stud apart with a dremel cutoff wheel or anything of that sort.
6) Install mount back in car
7) Install replacement vacuum pod and reconnect vacuum hoses and linkages.

Last edited by Articus; 06-05-2016 at 05:53 AM.