A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappearing Trip Computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappearing Trip Computer

Hey guys,
I'm finally experiencing a problem in my 2001 D2 S8 that has not yet been described here (I think). Up until now, this forum has been extremely helpful with DIY fixes to minor (and major!) problems.
Well, here's a new one I haven't found any information on. My battery recently got very low after the car sat for a few days, and the car would not turn over. Instead, the area where the trip computer is rapidly flashed, along with ignition clicks. After getting a jump, the car started back up and ran perfectly well, but with one exception -- the area where the temperature and 'miles to empty' previously was had disappeared, replaced by a black void. The P N D 4 3 2 is still on the bottom of the screen, and the warning lights are still visible at the top. When I open a door, or before I put the car in gear, messages are visible across the whole LCD, so it's not the panel. What could be the problem, and how would I go about remedying it? I surmised I could pull the positive off the battery for a few minutes to fix it, but wondered if there was another way (that wouldn't reset everything). Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The middle part of the display can be toggled on and off by design. The button that toggles it is on the bottom of the wiper control stalk (towards the end). Just press that button and the display will light up again. Press again and it will go off.

I remember having that "oh no!!" moment before I learned about this.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, what he said!
Its in the owners manual if you're not sure which button.

The problem I have with the DIS is the auto brightness. The sensor sits between the Tacho and warning light grid right down the bottom of the dash cluster. I have tinted windows and my garage doesn't get much sunlight during winter, so I often drive off with a virtually unusable display.
If I want to use tip, I can't see which gear I'm in!
Very frustrating...

I want to see if the base level backlight can be adjusted via VCDS and bost it up a bit.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, for the info. I'm guessing the button you are referring to is the 'Reset' button on the right hand stalk (I bought the car without an owner's manual, unfortunately). I tried holding this down, but I'll try giving it a quick press to see what happens.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, this issue has been solved. You guys were right, a quick press of the button took care of the problem. However now, I'm being presented with more electronic gremlins. The cabin light (main) is staying on all the time, even when the switch is in 'doors open' mode (I had to turn it completely off). Even more troubling, the hazard lights will spontanously come on while I'm driving the car, and I am unable to turn them back off by pressing the button until I kill the engine. Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Yeah, what he said!
The problem I have with the DIS is the auto brightness. The sensor sits between the Tacho and warning light grid right down the bottom of the dash cluster. I have tinted windows and my garage doesn't get much sunlight during winter, so I often drive off with a virtually unusable display.
Very frustrating...

I want to see if the base level backlight can be adjusted via VCDS and bost it up a bit.
I think I have the same problem you are describing; however I don't think it's anything to do with the auto-brightness-sensor (in my case) and seems to be temperature related; i.e. the colder the temperature the dimmer the display is. In the winter time it's completely unreadable (black) until the interior of the car starts to heat up. During the summer months it's fine - it lights up right away.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Very frustrating...
I have tinted windows and have no problems seeing the display. My issue is when I wear polarized sunglasses; the display tends to vanish and I find myself pulling my sunglasses down to read it.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harris498
Well, this issue has been solved. You guys were right, a quick press of the button took care of the problem. However now, I'm being presented with more electronic gremlins. The cabin light (main) is staying on all the time, even when the switch is in 'doors open' mode (I had to turn it completely off). Even more troubling, the hazard lights will spontanously come on while I'm driving the car, and I am unable to turn them back off by pressing the button until I kill the engine. Any ideas?
Just a wild guess, but check for moisture around the front passenger's floor and upright footboard...the central electric panel is behind there and the AC evaporator drains get clogged on these cars and often overflow into that electric panel.

Worth checkin