A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand suspension arms should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand suspension arms should I buy

2000 A8 4.2 120k
One of my front upper suspension arms needs replacing and so I am looking at doing the whole lot as others have suggested. Problem is I am in New Zealand
and my choice is either Audi stealership or a cheap alternative of unknown brand. From what I read here there is a couple of brands available in USA either separately or kit form. I keep my cars for quite a few years so am happy to use quality parts.
Can anyone recommend the best brand, should I use steel or aluminum arms.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe steel arms were ever available. Lemfoerder and TRW were used as OEM and have gone down in price a bit lately in the U.S. I believe regulations in the U.S. require auto manufacturers to supply parts for each model for at least 10 years, so ususally OE parts suppliers are not constrained by contract to Audi after the last of a model rolled off the line 10+ years ago.

On the Lemfoerder arms I bought, you can literally see the spot where they simply ground off the AUDI four rings logo.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 10-29-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ratbag
2000 A8 4.2 120k
One of my front upper suspension arms needs replacing and so I am looking at doing the whole lot as others have suggested. Problem is I am in New Zealand
and my choice is either Audi stealership or a cheap alternative of unknown brand. From what I read here there is a couple of brands available in USA either separately or kit form. I keep my cars for quite a few years so am happy to use quality parts.
Can anyone recommend the best brand, should I use steel or aluminum arms.
Hey! Long time no read, William. We exchanged posts (including my love of your country from my past visits) a few years back on Bentley forums (nearly dead forum there..next to zero activity)...I was "Titanium" over there.

Lemfoerder and TRW have many years and many users backing them as the best and longest lasting...Top choice of those in the know.
Avoid standard Meyle and OCAP, pure crap.
One VERY questionable poster and totally unreliable source here ("Walmart Tireboy Skippy"..something like that) says Meyle HD's are great, but there's absolutely no proof or any other poster to back up this claim and Meyle's long term reputation with early failing control arms is SO bad, I would never trust them with any new claims.....stick with Lems or TRW and you can't go wrong.

Good to see you here, but check out Quattroworld, too...a MUCH better forum than here, with infinitely more expertise in the membership...Audiworld stupidly ran off much of it's best talent years back.

Here >> quattroworld.com Forums: D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by silverd2; 10-28-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey Sam, I thought I had been reading your replies to others. Yep, still here and still have the 1992 '100 although usually parked up. New Zealand is still a great place to live.

Thanks heaps, I was tempted to go with Meyle but pretty obvious to go Lems or TRW, my next step is to buy a set. I looked on 'AUTOHAUS' website but they don't appear to have a complete set of Lemfoerder arms. On 'Parts Train' site they have TRW but no lower arms. What the hell should I do.
Thanks again, William.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ratbag
Hey Sam, I thought I had been reading your replies to others. Yep, still here and still have the 1992 '100 although usually parked up. New Zealand is still a great place to live.

Thanks heaps, I was tempted to go with Meyle but pretty obvious to go Lems or TRW, my next step is to buy a set. I looked on 'AUTOHAUS' website but they don't appear to have a complete set of Lemfoerder arms. On 'Parts Train' site they have TRW but no lower arms. What the hell should I do.
Thanks again, William.
William,
Don't know why, but I've never seen TRW or Lem's as a complete set. I have seen all for sale at the same supplier, but not as a set...and not sure who ships internationally. For example: PartGeek.com has all eight of the TRW arms, but sold separately.

The sets I've seen have all been brands I wouldn't buy...most commonly OCAP brand, who claim to be an OE "supplier"(?)..of what, I don't know...certainly not Audi OEM control arms. Many have purchased these sets for "convenience" ( sorry, I don't get that...I buy what I feel good about, set or not) and have driven to regret it...same with standard Meyle.

You may already have this info, but correct part #'s make shopping much easier. ETKA shows these as the correct #'s for all country's 2000 4.2 A8.

Hope this helps >>>

Upper front: left "rear" 4D0 407 509 J
right "rear" 4D0 407 510 J
L & R "front" 4D0 407 505 H (x2...same on both sides)
Lower front: left "rear" 8E0 407 693 AG
right "rear" 8E0 407 694 AG
L & R "front" 4B3 407 151 K (x2...same on both sides)

Cheers,
Sam
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone tried the "FCP" brand ones?

Audi VW Control Arm Kit Front Lower Rear (A4 A6 A8 Passat) - FCP AUDIFLRKT | FCP Euro
Old 10-31-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Sam,

I was able to cross reference the numbers and found a company who listed all of the arms in Lems brand. (Rockauto)
After confirming the order I read the reviews and got a bit of a shock. **** I hope everything goes ok, including shipping it cost me US$1000.00

Cheers,
William
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought the fcp ones and have about 10k on them. Ride is much better than before. I did notice one ball joint boot develop a split, a litte disappointing.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

RockAuto aren't as bad as some of their reviews suggest. My order arrived in good time and
all the arms are new, Lemforder, and correct parts received.
Next job is to put some time aside and get them fitted.
Thanks for all your help
Cheers,
William.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

william,

how did you get on with control arms? what part of NZ are you? im in Auckland. have you had issues with arms here in NZ before?

Quick Reply: What brand suspension arms should I buy