A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is my 01 S8 6MT worth?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my 01 S8 6MT worth?

Need some pricing help please. I love this car, but I am thinking about selling for work reasons. Has 144K, pristine condition silver on black sport seats. It has been maintained all its life by one of the best Audi Denver techs Tufty. He also did the 6mt conversion last year using all genuine Audi parts. No accidents, bone dry underneath, always garaged, everything works. Two sets of wheels/tires, uper super clean with all records sold by a long time member here. What's it worth?

Last edited by pbarrow; 07-07-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, any pictures?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here are some pics from the 6mt conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/Yik4ZDV6yn8yaATC7

Here are some general pics beforehand:
https://goo.gl/photos/FMHhQ6cc8C4TinF78
Old 06-02-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $12k-14k

Just wait for the right buyer.
Originally Posted by pbarrow
Need some pricing help please. I love this car, but I am thinking about selling for work reasons - feel like I need something newer for clients. Has 148K, pristine condition silver on black sport seats. It has been maintained all its life by one of the best Audi Denver techs Tufty. He also did the 6mt conversion last year using all genuine Audi parts. No accidents, bone dry underneath, always garaged, everything works. Two sets of wheels/tires, uper super clean with all records sold by a long time member here. What's it worth?
Old 06-03-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Need some pricing help please. I love this car, but I am thinking about selling for work reasons - feel like I need something newer for clients. Has 148K, pristine condition silver on black sport seats. It has been maintained all its life by one of the best Audi Denver techs Tufty. He also did the 6mt conversion last year using all genuine Audi parts. No accidents, bone dry underneath, always garaged, everything works. Two sets of wheels/tires, uper super clean with all records sold by a long time member here. What's it worth?
What did you spend at S-Line for the conversion? I read up on Tufty, but the pending lawsuit from the guy that had his car stolen there is making me hesitant. I'm thinking about converting my '02 S8. Also silver/black, 77.5k miles. I've been getting bored with the auto, so it's conversion time or time for a new car. Been looking at manual 4.2 S5s, but the carbon buildup (and price of admission) is making me wonder if D2 freshening is the best path forward. Feel free to PM me.

Tozo, what's your going rate for the swap??? I've sent you a few emails but never a reply. PM me if interested in the job.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tozoM8
Just wait for the right buyer.
Thanks Tozo. I guess the classifieds here or quattroworld is probably the best place to advertise? Putting in ebay will not bring the right kind of enthusiast buyer. The hard part will be finding a replacement car that I enjoy driving as much as this one!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S8ilver
What did you spend at S-Line for the conversion? I read up on Tufty, but the pending lawsuit from the guy that had his car stolen there is making me hesitant. I'm thinking about converting my '02 S8. Also silver/black, 77.5k miles. I've been getting bored with the auto, so it's conversion time or time for a new car. Been looking at manual 4.2 S5s, but the carbon buildup (and price of admission) is making me wonder if D2 freshening is the best path forward. Feel free to PM me.
Ask around a little more: hundreds of satisfied customers, one loudmouth. While I would unconditionally recommend Tufty to do the work, last I heard he was forced into semi-retirement by some health issues. I actually think my car was his last big project. With your low miles I would say it would definitely be a worthwhile project. Totally changes the personality of the car and the motor. I honestly am having a hard time finding something I would rather drive for WAY more money. Panamera with a manual would fit the bill, but alas...
Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ask around a little more: hundreds of satisfied customers, one loudmouth. While I would unconditionally recommend Tufty to do the work, last I heard he was forced into semi-retirement by some health issues. I actually think my car was his last big project. With your low miles I would say it would definitely be a worthwhile project. Totally changes the personality of the car and the motor. I honestly am having a hard time finding something I would rather drive for WAY more money. Panamera with a manual would fit the bill, but alas...
That's my big issue! What would be as fun to drive, for at least near the price of course?!! I've also been looking at M Roadsters/Coupes. My father owned a '00 Roadster, and that car was the most fun I ever had with a manual, but a drop of rain or snow on the ground and it'd sit in the garage...very tail happy. And it's loud, and not terribly comfortable. Along with the 4.2 carbon hoarding S5s, a buddy of mine is trying to convince me on a 996TT. He swears it is right now the best bang for the buck. However, mid-$30k admission price. Apparently pretty bulletproof though (no IMS issues like the NA 911s of the time), and AWD. It could be my perfect car. I've never "needed" a 4-door, yet always have had one. The D2 is paid off, another plus. I don't know that I'd like to part with a chunk of cash to make up the difference.

Over the years, I've become pretty handy in the garage. We just finished building our Lemons race car last weekend. Everything was out of the car: motor, trans, every suspension bushing, and so on. It took 5 of us 2 months to do all the work, so my wife would KILL me if I tried to take on a tranny project on my own. The choice of tool on the race car is a hammer; I'd like someone with a lighter touch to work on the S8. Sounds like Tozo is the guy, if he ever writes me back! I'd also consider letting 3Z3 do the work, but they'll charge an arm and least one leg.

To be continued.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S8ilver
a buddy of mine is trying to convince me on a 996TT. He swears it is right now the best bang for the buck. However, mid-$30k admission price. Apparently pretty bulletproof though (no IMS issues like the NA 911s of the time), and AWD. It could be my perfect car.
I have to agree with your friend. I had a tuned 2007 WRX STi for years, but I drove it less and less even though it was a blast in the canyons. I sold it back in Fall 2014 after doing the research on the 996 Turbo.

I bought a 44K mile 3 owner seal gray 2002 996TT during the holidays, so about 6mo ago. CA car in very clean condition so pricing was mid 40s, not mid 30s, but PPI came back very clean and car is rock solid. Bought in San Diego, drove home to SF...

I have since added Kline exhaust, 1 bar tune, shifter, and Forgestar wheels. It's not a daily driver for me (nor is my S8) so just a fun toy for sunny days when I have time. I also added a forward facing child seat to the rear so I can take my 2 year old for short cruises, he loves it!

While the S8 is a great companion car to the Porsche Turbo, it isn't worth much these days. As much as I love my S8,apparently scarcity and value have no correlation with this car.

Last edited by Road King; 06-04-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I knew 911s were small, but seeing one next to a D2 really puts it into perspective! Love those wheels! Yesterday I was pricing new wheels and tires already; may be a sign of what's to come. Gray/black or silver/black is what I'm looking for. I'll never like the 996 headlights, but I guess they make conversion kits if they never grow on me.

No car I get will be a daily driver. I take a train to work 4-5 days/week. Thank goodness, as we had quarter-sized hail in Denver last night. I've never seen so much hail. It was off and on (mostly on) for an hour and a half! I would hate to do the 6spd swap on the S8 and then get stuck in a storm. The weather usually doesn't worry me, but it was the 3rd hail storm in the last week. The odds aren't in my favor. Maybe I'll just Rhino-line my Bronco and drive that year round. Ha! NOT!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is my 01 S8 6MT worth?