A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your A/C struggling? Freon recharge tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have always thought of trying r12 in a 134a system.
It should work but would require a full flush and oil change.
r134a requires a larger condensor, 12 would dominate with the size of condensors we have on our a8s.. plus pressures are lower on r12 systems.

Has anyone ever done a reverse retrofit?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audinutt
I have always thought of trying r12 in a 134a system.
It should work but would require a full flush and oil change.
r134a requires a larger condensor, 12 would dominate with the size of condensors we have on our a8s.. plus pressures are lower on r12 systems.

Has anyone ever done a reverse retrofit?
Thats an interesting thought but with the availabilty of R12 and how it's watched by big brother, I'd pass on this idea.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the o-ring on the adapter, and put teflon pipe tape on the male threads on the Suction Pipe/Low Pressure fitting.

Then tighten the adapter on, and leave it in place. (It will seal up this way, and the teflon keeps it sealed just fine, and keeps the alloy threads from galling as you tighten the adapter.)

As for going from 134a to R12? Sure, you would get better performance, but why not use some alternative chemicals that work just as good, if not better than R12, and are not "illegal?"

R12 is, and was great stuff. Works great, and does not deplete the Ozone layer as claimed. But that's not the point. It's not as profitable for DuPont to sell you R12, so they helped to change over to the higher profit 134a.... (And used the "Useful idiots" in the EcoFreak movement to bolster their profits... Now that's Karma... )
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Actually... FWIW

DuPont Chemical lost their patent's to R12 and 'Paid Off' the body politic through the EPA to regain their strangle hold on the public by stuffing a costlier (less effective) product down the publics throat. It's about ripping the pocket off your pants and has nothing to do with "saving the planet".

How a heavier than air refrigerant effects the "OZONE" is a hoax, plain and simple.
Big business "is what it is.." alive and well. It is always about the money.

Spend some time visiting with the people that work for DuPont.
Pasadena, Tx., would be a good place to start.

I worked their doing "turnarounds" for Brown & Root btw.
A most unpleasant period in my life.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just followed the instructions and all worked great until I discovered that the gauge that came with the refrigerant was not working properly! I see on amazon lots of people complying about faulty gauges on these kits, and my kit was the most expensive at the store $44 and $34 on Amazon.

So beware, don't overfill as some folks have supposedly blown a compressor by putting too much R134 in their systems.

I'd be interested in getting a higher quality gauge to measure pressure but don't seem to find a stand along gauge?

This is what I bought and look at all the one start comments - the refrigerant is good but crappy hose and gauge and remember once you stick that on the top you can kiss the can goodbye as there is no swapping it out for another hose / gauge as I discovered

Interdynamics (ACP-100 PRO) Professional Formula R-134a Ultra Synthetic Air Conditioning Refrigerant with Reusable Dispenser and Gauge - 20 oz.

Amazon.com: Interdynamics (ACP-100 PRO) Professional Formula R-134a Ultra Synthetic Air Conditioning Refrigerant with Reusable Dispenser and Gauge - 20 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Interdynamics (ACP-100 PRO) Professional Formula R-134a Ultra Synthetic Air Conditioning Refrigerant with Reusable Dispenser and Gauge - 20 oz.: Automotive
Old 08-17-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and not to start a pissing match here but the heavier than air thing regarding CFCs in a myth -- Myth: CFCs Are Heavier Than Air, So They Can't Reach the Ozone Layer | Science | Ozone Layer Protection | US EPA

I think at the time this was what the science community believed to be true and now, they are saying that they don't fully understand what is causing the depletion so yes perhaps they were wrong - not sure if I want to believe any conspiracy theories although some good lobbying on Du Pont's side probably didn't hurt.

We're buggered anyway so let's just enjoy our A8s and I can't wait to get a used S8 in 10 years or so, assuming we're all still here and Putin hasn't started WW3! 0-60 under 4 seconds for $15k!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would this be the same procedure for a 2000 a8? As far as the port being in the same location driver side top right of the engine bay and 6016 adapter?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct me if I've missed the mark.. but.
It's nice to have a set of gauges but not necessary.
The low side (filler valve) needs a 410(?) adapter. You will need one to avoid loosing freon.
Slowly add freon until the low side line fills and sweats down to (near) the compressor.
You are done.. this is enough freon to get you comfortable (till next year.)
If you are using a 16 oz. (tall can) and have waited until you notice your AC isn't up to snuff, you will use most (but not all) of the can to fill the low side line.
Be patient and slowly service your system. DO NOT OVERFILL. If the low side line sweats halfway between the fill port and the compressor, you are good to go. This is not a big deal or project. pc