A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Don Nguyen | Vinyl roof wrapping, tail light tinting, black out chrome trim install

Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is another old customer of mine that is had me do some vinyl work on his new car. I typically do not make house calls, but being that he was an old customer and also lived down the street from me in Irvine/Orange County, I made an exception. For his white E92 328i coupe, he had me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material and also black out the chrome/brushed aluminum window trimmings in gloss black as well to give it the shadow line look that's offered from the factory for BMW. The car was brand new and stock, but these two changes and modifications to the car really changed the look of the car without making it look out of place or too modified.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor

This was one of the first cars that I did when 3M came out with the di-noc matte carbon fiber finish, which was about 4 years ago. The owner of this silver Subaru WRX STI came by to have me re-wrap his roof with the same 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. I took some close ups of the before to show you guys how the material looks like and holds up over time. The carbon fiber weave and all of the details are there, but it had started to lose some of its luster, which was why the owner of this car came back to have me redo the roof for him.

In the pictures with the vinyl removed, that was how the paint looked like right after removal and no or very minimal clean up was done at that point. I took pictures of the paint/roof right after the vinyl was removed to show you guys what the condition of the paint looks like that has had vinyl installed on a roof for roughly 4 years, which is probably going to be longer than most own people own their cars.

The lighting wasn't very good, since it was overcast that day, so I did my best to try and take some pictures to show you guys how the old material looks like compared to the new material. Hopefully you guys are able to see the details and differences in the up close pictures.

Before w/ old vinyl:

Old vinyl removed:

After w/ new vinyl installed:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor

I had this brand new white Mercedes Benz CLA 250 come in to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car. We went with gloss black vinyl finish for his roof over the matte black or carbon fiber, to give it that factory panoramic look. The owner of this car was from around Irvine / Orange County and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to have the work done. I think the gloss black roof added a lot of character to the car, for such a simple change. The other thing I could have suggested to do on this car was to black out the chrome around the windows too, but that comes down to preference and depends on what type of look you're going after.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Former Vendor

I had this brand new white Mercedes Benz CLA 250 come in to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car. We went with gloss black vinyl finish for his roof over the matte black or carbon fiber, to give it that factory panoramic look. The owner of this car was from around Irvine / Orange County and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to have the work done. I think the gloss black roof added a lot of character to the car, for such a simple change. The other thing I could have suggested to do on this car was to black out the chrome around the windows too, but that comes down to preference and depends on what type of look you're going after.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How easy is it to apply and remove? I like the look of the light tint on the headlights and tail lights.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor

It's fairly straight forward, imo.

Here's pictures of one of the cars that I did on one of my norcal vinyl wrapping trips up to the bay/San Jose area. I make these trips once or twice a year, depending on how my schedule is like down here in socal/orange county. The owner of this white BMW E92 335i coupe had me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material and also lightly tint/smoke his tail lights as well. He opted to not have the side roof rails wrapped, so these pictures will help those who were thinking about if they should get their rails wrapped or not.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

I think many would not think about it, but even this black Mercedes Benz S63 AMG looks good with the chrome blacked out. Even with the brighter colored/finished wheels, the blacked out chrome/brushed aluminum trim still goes with the look of the car very well and actually makes the car look very sleek imo. In addition to the window trim, I also blacked out the lower door chrome pieces that run the length of the car. I also tinted the headlights and turn signal reflectors with my light tint/smoke film. For this car, we went with my gloss black vinyl finish to match the already gloss black vertical pillars and overall the gloss black just suited this car better than matte black would have. The owner of this car brought his car up to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County from San Diego to get the vinyl work done.

Before:

During (note driver side headlight and mirror turn signals are tinted, while passenger side is stock)

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Former Vendor

I had this white Mazda MazdaSpeed3 come in to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. As you can see from the pictures, the carbon fiber weave is more noticeable at certain angles and depending on how the light hits it. In some pictures it'll look like just a matte/flat black roof, while in other pictures you can really notice the carbon fiber weave/pattern, which gives it a very cool effect.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor

This is kind of a bigger picture post than usual, but I had multiple requests for more up close pictures and of certain areas that are pictured below. The owner of this white Audi RS5 had me vinyl wrap the roof and also black out the brushed aluminum/chrome window trim on his car with my gloss black vinyl material. The gloss black roof tied in quite nicely with the large sunroof of the car, to give it a full/complete panoramic roof look. Also, just blacking out the chrome around the windows also changed the look of the car quite a bit, even though the mirrors are still silver. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County from Los Angeles to get the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

***Note - This is a darker shade that is a completely different and a lot darker shade than all of my other tinted tail light pictures, this is not the standard shade I use***

The owner of this black Maserati brought me his car to tint/smoke the headlights and tail lights of his car with a very dark vinyl film. He was basically going for the blacked out look. This is not a typical shade/darkness that I use, which is always a very light shade. The owner of this car was also in Orange County and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. Light out put is going to be definitely affected by going this dark, but if you're trying to achieve a completely blacked out or murdered out type of look, then this would be it.

Before:

During:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **Don Nguyen | Vinyl roof wrapping, tail light tinting, black out chrome trim install