A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 A8 camera retrofit pursuit...

Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 06 A8 camera retrofit pursuit...

Hello all,
06 and 07 with back up camera people, please let me know what do I have back here? What are these connectors?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wrong address. You should address this question to people with satellite radio.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Never thought of satellite radio... It wasn't installed in -06 A8? It must be an option. On my Q7, it was standard.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM RADIO

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Never thought of satellite radio... It wasn't installed in -06 A8? It must be an option. On my Q7, it was standard.

Thanks,

Louis
MY 2006 A8 HAS XM RADIO IF THATS WHAT YOU MEAN BY SATELITE RADIO.
LOGO IS ON RADIO BUTTON
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default SAT was an option in 2006: XM or Sirius; wiring more generally...

You could get either one, or neither. It became standard a year or two later, but not as of 2006. BTW, the boxes also changed over time so if you put it in, be sure you get the right rev. box for the connectors you have. Sirius and XM boxes both fit the wiring. The first owner of mine flipped it from Sirius to XM actually--has XM now but build sticker said Sirius as ordered.

The SAT wiring is there because it was a dealer installable option. Don't just assume that in trying to retrofit stuff though. Remember D3 wiring harnesses are custom to the car build/VIN so its not like the old days with a bunch of connectors left around for options that weren't put in, or not used in U.S. models.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7

Thanks,

Louis

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-29-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Finished researching... looking for parts. I don't think it's too much problems.

Johnny, did you get your parts yet?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I did.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Johnny,
After reading the MMI system, I believe it's not that complicated to add the camera onto our A8L system.
I believe we don't need TV tuner.
I believe we only need the camera control box.
I believe we have to run the wire from camera control box to the MMI control box in the glove box regardless unless we have the TV tuner, which we don't.
Now, I'm going to use wireless camera since I don't want to run wires from trunk lid to the trunk and the Q7 license plate doesn't have they key lock with the camera installed, unless we can try this guy, but I'm not sure how to fit all locks and handle in one.
<a href="http://car-solutions.com/en/tailgate-handle-rear-view-camera-for-audi-a4-a6l-q7-allroad.php">rear camera license plate with lock</a>
So all we need is to connect the Can+ & Can- (from camera control box) to the parking control box - use vag-com to turn on the camera option. This one will overlay the camera and the graphic mode with the safety area of the camera from Audi every time we put in reverse.
Here is the kicker - we need 2 sets of wireless receivers and transmitters-
1. 1 go from the license plate to input of camera control box-
2. 1 go from the output of the camera control box - the MMI control box in the glove box.

These sets are only $17 each on Amazon.
Or we can run the wire for #2. and keep the wireless for #1.
All we need is to get <a href="http://compare.ebay.com/like/160887707225?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar">Fakra connectors cables</a> to run.

I'm waiting for a guy from Germany to confirm the shipping on the camera control module, I'll check my MMI control box Gateway.

BTW, the 4L0 907 468 B is in my car which is the same as the one on my Q7 that has the camera option, so it should work fine.

Now, if anyone who's already done this on an A8, please help.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 04-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who is we, we ,we

Louis.
I am confused at your post, YOU address it to me "Johnny" and you keep stating "WE" need this or that.

"I believe we don't need TV tuner"

I never said a "TV TUNER" was needed for retrofitting a OEM RVC, I installed the TV Tuner for a totally deferent reason, to be able to install two Audio Video inputs into the 20 pin red connector of the TV Tuner, and then add a 2 in / 1 out video switcher for a total of 3 A/V inputs, so I could insert my OEM RSE 6 disc DVD player into the TV Tuner, which in turn now plays DVD Video on all three screens, and also allows for DVD player audio to be inserted into the Bose system, instead of just having DVD audio only for rear passengers with headphones on, my setup also allowed for the rear passengers the have rear view camera on their screens, so RVC on all 3 screens.

One of the added benefits of adding the TV Tuner was the fact that I could input any Audio Video device via RCA plugs, So a after market Sony CCD RVC was also fitted and tied into reverse light for 12 volt trigger of video switcher to display RVC when in CD/AUX External AV Source 1 and selected reverse gear, it worked fine for a while, but after the second replacement of said waterproof RVC failing, and the fact that I would have to set CD/AUX button to External AV source 1 to view RVC, I am now going all OEM RVC, But my TV tuner still serves it purpose for inputs like a home A/V receiver does, and I am now updating to the Digital TV Tuner.

"I believe we only need the camera control box"

You will also need the MMI Control Head unit # 4E0 035 729 A The "A" signifying FABS input for the video input to MMI, Being your vehicle did not come with TV or RVC, you will have no FBAS input on your MMI CH, Therefore no VIDEO INPUT.

"I believe we have to run the wire from camera control box to the MMI control box in the glove box regardless unless we have the TV tuner, which we don't"

YES I do, and even if you had the TV tuner and the RVC control unit, the wiring is like this, the TV FBAS output goes to RVC control unit's FBAS TV input, the rear camera FBAS output goes to the RVC control unit's camera FBAS input, then the FBAS output of the RVC control unit goes to the front of vehicle to the MMI control head's FBAS input.

"Here is the kicker - we need 2 sets of wireless receivers and transmitters-
1. 1 go from the license plate to input of camera control box-
2. 1 go from the output of the camera control box - the MMI control box in the glove box"

I don't need any of this nonsense, the FBAS cable is so easy to run, anything else is just lazy.
Attached Images      
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you use the original back up camera from Audi? No lines? How do we know if we have the 4E0 035 729 A, we have to open it up?

Thanks,

Louis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 A8 camera retrofit pursuit...