A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100k miles, need to change transmission oil??

Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100k miles, need to change transmission oil??

Hi guys,

I have 07 with 100k miles, engine is nice and smooth. No problem with gear slipping or hard shift. Just because of 100k miles, do I really need to do transmission oil change? I've been doing some researching and some people having problem after the transmission fluid change. I definitely don't want to create problem.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

If it works, enjoy it...

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you want the gearbox to live a nice, long, happy life I would absolutely change it.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Never heard of an issue after the change. If your changing the fluids to another type it will be more expensive than just a standard flush and refill. Unless yours is a W12 you have the standard, cheaper A8 fluid. Can be done at any reputable tranny shop IMO.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I have 196,000 miles on mine. Still the original fluid.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very controversial issue and I wish I could get some clarity on it. There have been many post. I asked the dealer, and for my 2005 they told me not to change if it is working fine. They brought a special guy out to talk to me and he asked me what issues I was having. When I told him none, he said they recommend doing nothing unless there are issues. I had 100K at the time and now have 118K. Still no problems, smooth shifting.

What troubles me is that there is a filter and gasket sold. It seems to me that any transmission fluid breaks down and gets contaminated with metal filings over time. Dealer also recommends no fuel filter change, but we know what that does to the lifespan of the fuel pumps.

I think at some point it should be changed out, but not sure 100K, maybe 125 or 150 even if trouble free, but still seems logical to me that you would want to change it. I flushed my power steering out at 100K because it had lost the green color and turned black, and I am sure it was less than ideal at performing it's job. I think the same thing applies to the transmission.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DA8
This is a very controversial issue and I wish I could get some clarity on it. There have been many post. I asked the dealer, and for my 2005 they told me not to change if it is working fine. They brought a special guy out to talk to me and he asked me what issues I was having. When I told him none, he said they recommend doing nothing unless there are issues. I had 100K at the time and now have 118K. Still no problems, smooth shifting.

What troubles me is that there is a filter and gasket sold. It seems to me that any transmission fluid breaks down and gets contaminated with metal filings over time. Dealer also recommends no fuel filter change, but we know what that does to the lifespan of the fuel pumps.

I think at some point it should be changed out, but not sure 100K, maybe 125 or 150 even if trouble free, but still seems logical to me that you would want to change it. I flushed my power steering out at 100K because it had lost the green color and turned black, and I am sure it was less than ideal at performing it's job. I think the same thing applies to the transmission.
You're exactly correct here. There's a filter in there for a reason, and yes, it's meant to be changed. Also, despite all the marketing BS of "lifetime fluid," there is no such thing.

You want to drop the pan, clean the magnets (and yes, you'll find very, very fine metallic wear particles here), replace the filter, and re-fill. If changing fluid types, you will need 3 drain/ fills to ensure better than 90% total fluid exchange.

On a modern automatic, I'd say ideal would be a change by 75k, then another at 125k, then another at 175k.

Keep in mind, unless you do multiple drain and fills, or use one of those hydraulic flush machines, you're getting about half the fluid out during a change.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My .02 on it is this. The car depreciates so much its crazy, that's just point 1. On my 05 I only flushed because I had to, to rid the hoot noise I was experiencing. On my W12 I probably would/will around 120k or so just because of the caliber of the car. Going back to my 05, having a trade in value of roughly 8-10k, it just isn't worth the cost to me. Not sure how much a standard flush is on these cars now but I know that flushing it on a normal car is right around $100. I just want to run any car I have into the ground and I don't see it beneficial dumping $xxxx into a trans flush when it should be fine without it, especially with what the car is worth now.

Others might say yes the engine will last forever.. yatta yatta, I agree. This is also after dumping thousands upon thousands into repairs. After owning two of these beasts I have dumped a very large amount of money into preventative maintenance and an extremely large amount in standard repairs to things that should have never broken in the first place (or as early as they did). Perfect examples of this are control arm bushings, struts, noises/creaks from suspension, temp sensors, and faulty electrical items (bluetooth module/nav/mmi) as well as any other stupid thing that breaks. Sorry for the rant I just wish owning the car was as fun as driving it (when it works 100%)! For the record I absolutely love my A8's and I think/know it is the best car I have driven for overall satisfaction to drive. While I am starting to see as I grow up a bit and follow my finances better; I start to realize these cars are one to own when you have quite a bit of cash stashed away for repairs and maintenance.

Last edited by Brozee; 09-17-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bmwm750
You're exactly correct here. There's a filter in there for a reason, and yes, it's meant to be changed. Also, despite all the marketing BS of "lifetime fluid," there is no such thing.

You want to drop the pan, clean the magnets (and yes, you'll find very, very fine metallic wear particles here), replace the filter, and re-fill. If changing fluid types, you will need 3 drain/ fills to ensure better than 90% total fluid exchange.

On a modern automatic, I'd say ideal would be a change by 75k, then another at 125k, then another at 175k.

Keep in mind, unless you do multiple drain and fills, or use one of those hydraulic flush machines, you're getting about half the fluid out during a change.
I just had mine changed at 81k when I do feel a uncomfortable "hit" during the shift between 2nd-3rd gear.
I discussed with my local mechanic and finally decided to change the trans. fluid along with the filter and gasket.
Will, after the fluid changing, the symptom is still there however the "hit" feeling do shrink a little bit and the whole gear shift feeling do become better.
So..I think I will keep on changing the trans. fluid to prevent my trans. from getting worse @@

Does anyone else on this forum have the same or similar problem on their trans. ? (Shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear will have a obvious "hit" feeling..)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arnoldsunny
I just had mine changed at 81k when I do feel a uncomfortable "hit" during the shift between 2nd-3rd gear.
I discussed with my local mechanic and finally decided to change the trans. fluid along with the filter and gasket.
Will, after the fluid changing, the symptom is still there however the "hit" feeling do shrink a little bit and the whole gear shift feeling do become better.
So..I think I will keep on changing the trans. fluid to prevent my trans. from getting worse @@

Does anyone else on this forum have the same or similar problem on their trans. ? (Shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear will have a obvious "hit" feeling..)
Mine hits from 2nd to 3rd occasionally. It happens when it is doing a high torque low rpm type of mid range between gears low power/speed shift. It doesn't happen under normal shifts like when accelerating, just when there is moderate load type thing in between gears like 20-30 mph.

It is not a major thunk, more like a minor one. But it is a thunk. And it is unusual for the overall extremely smooth shifting the transmission does in all other shifts.

It sounds like you changed your fluid and the problem is still there, just not as much? Was changing it worth it? Did you have the dealer do it? I hear the fluid has to be upgraded and the transmission needs to have it's firmware upgraded for the upgraded fluid. Is that what you did? I also think due to factors such as cost of fluid, labor, "flashing TCU" it should be done by the dealer and one that does indeed flush it rather than just a drain, change filter, and refill. I don't think it is that simple as just drain and refill like in old cars, there is a very specific process and right way to do it to achieve desired results. I think that is why there are such mixed reviews and varying results from the process. The dealer I talked to was not clear to me on the process at all.

In regard to the conversation about cost and resale value, my position is I plan to keep the car and maintain it well for a low cost of ownership overall. I spent $20k to buy her, another $10 so far in maintenance and repairs, and expect to spend another $10 over the next few years to get 2-300K miles out of her. That is a total of $40K for a car over 5-6 years or more. Considering the quality level and driving experience of this car compared to other cars I think that is a FANTASTIC value. Compare that to a new car you can buy for $40K. There is no comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 100k miles, need to change transmission oil??