A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 AMI's and a MP3 CD Changer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 AMI's and a MP3 CD Changer?

I figured out why my AMI would not populate in Media Player 2 modules in VCDS when it was enabled. The CAN bus/power splitter I recieved with my AMI kit a while back was not wired correctly. The merchant wired both male ends the same but one of them needed to have an extra pin grounded on the Media Player 2 end.

I posted about this a month or so ago from reading old posts in a search but no one ever confirmed. The new cable that came in today had the correct wiring and now it populates properly and gives no errors in VCDS.

By the way, both the AMI and CD changer had worked with the old cable even with the CAN gateway coded for just 1 Media Player. They would just fight for Media Player 1 position if you opened that module. I didn't want to keep running like that once I found out since who knows if that had potential to cause problems or not.

Anyways, the point of this thread is I wonder if I can get another AMI for a total of 2 AMI's and a CD Changer? I got verification from an A8 owner/techincian who has 2 AMI's working in his A8. He has one for the Audi Bluetooth music dongle (used for Pandora or other types of streaming) and one for a dedicated iPod with his whole music library. That's what I'd like to do in addition to having the MP3 CD changer.

The CAN Gateway has selectable options for Media Players 3 4 and 5. Splitting into the MOST bus and CAN bus seems trivial, not sure if the single CAN bus plug in the glovebox can handle the load from and additional unit beyond the 2. Also, would the pinout on the 3rd male CAN bus end need to different to be recognized as Media Player 3?

As far as the physical aspect, I think it would be fairly easy to make 2 AMI units fit in the single AMI enclosure and have the cables hang down into the glovebox. I just need to find out about the CAN bus wiring.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you purchase off of Ebay? I am still looking for an AMI for my 04. I miss the Phatbox from my D2, but not sure I want to pay $500. How much was yours?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmhjgh
Did you purchase off of Ebay? I am still looking for an AMI for my 04. I miss the Phatbox from my D2, but not sure I want to pay $500. How much was yours?
Yes from UK eBay merchant and it was right around $500 shipped.

A US seller on eBay his selling one for right around $500 but you get the properly wired CAN bus cable as well as USB and iPod cables and a 2011 Nav DVD.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ModestW12
I figured out why my AMI would not populate in Media Player 2 modules in VCDS when it was enabled. The CAN bus/power splitter I recieved with my AMI kit a while back was not wired correctly. The merchant wired both male ends the same but one of them needed to have an extra pin grounded on the Media Player 2 end.

I posted about this a month or so ago from reading old posts in a search but no one ever confirmed. The new cable that came in today had the correct wiring and now it populates properly and gives no errors in VCDS.

By the way, both the AMI and CD changer had worked with the old cable even with the CAN gateway coded for just 1 Media Player. They would just fight for Media Player 1 position if you opened that module. I didn't want to keep running like that once I found out since who knows if that had potential to cause problems or not.

Anyways, the point of this thread is I wonder if I can get another AMI for a total of 2 AMI's and a CD Changer? I got verification from an A8 owner/techincian who has 2 AMI's working in his A8. He has one for the Audi Bluetooth music dongle (used for Pandora or other types of streaming) and one for a dedicated iPod with his whole music library. That's what I'd like to do in addition to having the MP3 CD changer.

The CAN Gateway has selectable options for Media Players 3 4 and 5. Splitting into the MOST bus and CAN bus seems trivial, not sure if the single CAN bus plug in the glovebox can handle the load from and additional unit beyond the 2. Also, would the pinout on the 3rd male CAN bus end need to different to be recognized as Media Player 3?

As far as the physical aspect, I think it would be fairly easy to make 2 AMI units fit in the single AMI enclosure and have the cables hang down into the glovebox. I just need to find out about the CAN bus wiring.
Hello,

Sorry to bring up an old thread that didn't have much activity to begin with but I can't really find much on the subject with my searches of different forums. Was there any progress made installing a second AMI with a CD changer? I currently have a C6 Allroad that was acquired with only a CD changer. I bought a glovebox with two bays and added an AMI. I've procured a second AMI for the same purpose as the OP, with the Kufatec expansion cables. Last night I attempted to wire the AMI into the component rack in the left rear. I tapped into the power going to the Becker navigation unit and into the optical plug for it too. The AMI doesn't show up, even when I added a second Media player in VCDS, and the car has issues recognizing the first AMI. The radio, CD player, Navigation all seem to work fine.
I was hoping that the OP successfully installed the second AMI or that someone else has.

Thanks for your time,
Alex
Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

68ChevelleSS: You need to update MMI software to a newer version probably. Be sure to get software for the right market, US and EU and JPN etc have different softwares. Software is updated via CD changer with 3 cd discs. You can get it for a few bucks from your dealer, or D/L via torrent etc by seraching AUDI MMI software update etc...
Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
68ChevelleSS: You need to update MMI software to a newer version probably. Be sure to get software for the right market, US and EU and JPN etc have different softwares. Software is updated via CD changer with 3 cd discs. You can get it for a few bucks from your dealer, or D/L via torrent etc by seraching AUDI MMI software update etc...

Hello volvopentaman and thank you for your reply. I don't think that an MMI update would be the solution here. I have the newest MMI version for Europe but the addressing of the device is performed with a wiring modification. I need to figure out which pin that I should ground to keep it off of the same address as the first MMI so that they don't conflict.

I'm going to pull the CD changer out and install the second AMI on that cable to see if the MMI will recognize both similar devices first.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I added the AMI to my A8 I just installed it and it worked. It's been so long but I don't recall having to do anything with VCDS to get it working.

Originally Posted by 68ChevelleSS
Hello volvopentaman and thank you for your reply. I don't think that an MMI update would be the solution here. I have the newest MMI version for Europe but the addressing of the device is performed with a wiring modification. I need to figure out which pin that I should ground to keep it off of the same address as the first MMI so that they don't conflict.

I'm going to pull the CD changer out and install the second AMI on that cable to see if the MMI will recognize both similar devices first.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Petahs
When I added the AMI to my A8 I just installed it and it worked. It's been so long but I don't recall having to do anything with VCDS to get it working.
Petahs,

You are exactly right. When I added the AMI to the MMI in addition to the MP3 disk changer I also didn't have to do anything. The thread is about adding an additional AMI to the setup. The device addressing is performed by certain changes in wiring (i.e. Pin 4 to ground for the AMI). I need to know if the AMI will accept another AMI and which address (how it should be pinned) will be required.

Thanks,