A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A8 23k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I take it this wasn't about my reply?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dan87951
One oil change in 10 years is enough? I'm speechless...
Also not reading carefully.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the oil was changed that infrequently. If one buys a new car from Audi, especially the A8's you constantly receive reminders for service. It would seem these cars were not brought in for service of any type which would be amazing itself.
I don't know anything about the dealership he dealt with but the two I have purchased cars from send me mail and email reminders, even call me and ask if everything is ok with the car. I have always purchased lifetime oil changes with my cars so this has never been an issue. Plus sooner or later you have the front end alignment checked, at least where I live you do. (The roads suck in Alaska)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TFT
I find it hard to believe that the oil was changed that infrequently. If one buys a new car from Audi, especially the A8's you constantly receive reminders for service. It would seem these cars were not brought in for service of any type which would be amazing itself.
I don't know anything about the dealership he dealt with but the two I have purchased cars from send me mail and email reminders, even call me and ask if everything is ok with the car. I have always purchased lifetime oil changes with my cars so this has never been an issue. Plus sooner or later you have the front end alignment checked, at least where I live you do. (The roads suck in Alaska)

Don't know what to tell you, it is what it is. The dealer ran the service reports and only had two oil changes on file in 10 years. Good news is there are plenty of nice examples still left!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

What if the owner of the vehicle changed his own oil, like I do? There is no record of that other than what I write in the maintenance book.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What if he made those 23K in two years and car was sitting in a garage since than? 23K A8 is almost brand new. Only thing I would think about is price.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:08 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd make an offer on the car based on the result of a service. Have the dealership change the oil and filter and get their opinion.Oil can be analyzed. If its good, buy the car.

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com
Old 10-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gotta love all these "What if's..." The original owner is who I spoke to. He told me all service was done at one local Audi dealer and no where else. I asked him about the oil changes on several occasions and he knew this was a concern of mine and he replied with thats what Audi recommended. Obviously the car was driven very little and its first oil change was done 6 years later at just under 5k miles. Either way I decided to pass as it doesn't exactly inspire confidence it was treated well. I'm one of those who rather spend more on a car with a good service history than simply shop by "price" alone...

Last edited by dan87951; 10-03-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
What if the owner of the vehicle changed his own oil, like I do? There is no record of that other than what I write in the maintenance book.
He didn't change it himself.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dan87951
Gotta love all these "What if's..." The original owner is who I spoke to. He told me all service was done at one local Audi dealer and no where else. I asked him about the oil changes on several occasions and he knew this was a concern of mine and he replied with thats what Audi recommended. Obviously the car was driven very little and its first oil change was done 6 years later at just under 5k miles. Either way I decided to pass as it doesn't exactly inspire confidence it was treated well. I'm one of those who rather spend more on a car with a good service history than simply shop by "price" alone...
No offense, but you own a Aston Martin DB9 and you're in the market for a 2004 A8?? The A8 is an amazing machine but if you're so worried about oil changes at low miles and the time duration why not purchase a newer A8 with low miles? I would be worried about it as well but it isn't like the owner beat on the car and never changed it. Also to Mister Bally, I've done 75% of the oil changes on my A8 personally since I got it so if you had a report run it would show that no oil changes were done in the past 70k; even though they were by me.

Last edited by Brozee; 10-03-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Audi A8 23k miles