A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 BOSE Amp Replacemnt

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 BOSE Amp Replacemnt

Hi, I just bought a replacement amp from BOSE automotive and plan to install tonight. Any pictures or tips? Any suggestions on where I can buy a manual that would detail this operation? Most of the previous threads that I have found are thin on details.

I am really excited about this because then my MMI will come back to life and I can set my jacking mode and do the brake job that I have been dreaming about, stoked!!

Thanks so much,

Pat
Old 02-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello powens,

It's plug and play, remove and replace, but I have a question, being that this is your first thread and post and you did not post a scan or any other information, did you do a full scan and the optical bus diagnostic test, I have not seen an amp cause the MMI to completely go out, but have seen them cause the loss of sound.

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you will find the to be component protected
Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE=powens;24772665] Any pictures or tips? Any suggestions on where I can buy a manual that would detail this operation? /QUOTE]

Listed in the sticky at the top of the Audi A8 D3 thread. The one that says: " New Posters to this Forum; PLEASE READ THIS "
Old 02-04-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I understand the 08+ models had a more powerful Bose amp. Has anyone tried to replace with the superior version? More power is always a good think in audio.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Done and done.
Good read.
Thanks
Pat
Old 02-04-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Understood, something about a protection bit. I will work on that.
Thanks
Pat
Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Hello powens,

It's plug and play, remove and replace, but I have a question, being that this is your first thread and post and you did not post a scan or any other information, did you do a full scan and the optical bus diagnostic test, I have not seen an amp cause the MMI to completely go out, but have seen them cause the loss of sound.

Very helpful. I will purchase a VAG COM system and get on it.

My "diagnosis" is based on reading about other D3 bose amps going down and "breaking" to MOST loop chain, resulting in the MMI being taken down with it? Just what I have read.
and....
6 months of listening to my audio system progressively degrade, noted by, snaps, crackles and pops.
finally...
my audi shop "confirmed the bose amp was the cause.

The shop did not feel comfortable using the replacement amp that I had sourced from bose automotive for $350. And I did not feel comfortable buying the AUDI replacement bose amp for $1,500 (damn I am cheap).

So I, admittedly over my head, especially trying to fix things that aren't smoking or broke in half. Am going in.

The other interesting symptom, is that there is a clicking /relay type noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side (right side/battery side) of the trunk. Right now I need to get a manual to pinpoint exactly where the bose amp is located.

Thanks for the support, please keep any useful information coming,

Best,

Pat
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by powens
Very helpful. I will purchase a VAG COM system and get on it.

My "diagnosis" is based on reading about other D3 bose amps going down and "breaking" to MOST loop chain, resulting in the MMI being taken down with it? Just what I have read.
and....
6 months of listening to my audio system progressively degrade, noted by, snaps, crackles and pops.
finally...
my audi shop "confirmed the bose amp was the cause.

The shop did not feel comfortable using the replacement amp that I had sourced from bose automotive for $350. And I did not feel comfortable buying the AUDI replacement bose amp for $1,500 (damn I am cheap).

So I, admittedly over my head, especially trying to fix things that aren't smoking or broke in half. Am going in.

The other interesting symptom, is that there is a clicking /relay type noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side (right side/battery side) of the trunk. Right now I need to get a manual to pinpoint exactly where the bose amp is located.

Thanks for the support, please keep any useful information coming,

Best,

Pat
Get VCDS scanner before you waste too much money by trial and error method. Scan will direct you in the right direction and save it's price right away. It will also help people here to help you.

Besides that get a fiber optic loop and bypass amplifier. If it is faulty clicking will stop and the rest of MMI will work.

Amplifier is in the trunk, left side. Just behind the left rear wheel.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, I appreciate the help. My other cars are 300CDs and they are pretty my tech minus the vacuum systems.

I'm picking up a bently as well.

Pat

Quick Reply: 2004 BOSE Amp Replacemnt