A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005.5 A8 4.2L - About to do Timing Belt

Old 11-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005.5 A8 4.2L - About to do Timing Belt

Hey everyone, been lurking for a couple years...I search and search but as others can agree, there is so much crap to sort through to get info...

So. I'm about to change out my timing belt, thermostat, water pump (and all the little dampeners, roller and tensioners included in kit)

I'm looking at getting the cam locking bar and the crank lock pin. I fail to see how the other specialty tools are needed as in I can substitute them with other tools. Correct me if I'm wrong please!

Now, I just came across a thread about the oil cooler plastic pipe leaking...is that on my model of 4.2?
All threads I found on it were for D2 and pre-Facelift D3.
While I'm in there replacing TB ect. I would like to change out the pipe and o rings.

Is it a problem on our facelift cars? Or all 4.2 for that matter?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I did it without any of the specialty tools, and believe me that it made the job both riskier and more difficult. The ones you were looking at are the ones I missed the most.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll be sure to grab the cam locking bar and crank lock pin. ..

I'm mostly concerned with this oil cooler plastic pipe...
I'll need the pipe, o rings, a figure 8 oring?, and some gasket?

Part numbers would be a huge help here...
Old 11-29-2016, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Might want to swap out the thermostat while your there. It's only a couple more bolts and if it fails later, it's nearly the full job all over again to get to it.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Might want to swap out the thermostat while your there. It's only a couple more bolts and if it fails later, it's nearly the full job all over again to get to it.
This is what's prompting me to do this job. My car is running at 12:00 middle of temperature gauge and I can smell coolant when I park the car..who knows when it was changed last.

Then I found a post about this oil cooler leaking coolant and Im proactively changing that out while I'm in there.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyst
This is what's prompting me to do this job. My car is running at 12:00 middle of temperature gauge and I can smell coolant when I park the car..who knows when it was changed last.

Then I found a post about this oil cooler leaking coolant and Im proactively changing that out while I'm in there.
An aluminum one that posters have used here. They can chime in on it's merits. I have not used one myself yet since I have not changed one.

Aluminum Audi oil cooler pipe for 4.2L V8 Engine A8, A6, RS6, Phaeton | eBay
Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I just changed my oil cooler pipe this past weekend. What a miserable job for my son & I to do. Be prepared to fabricate a custom tool by cutting off part of an Allen Wrench and using a Box wrench to turn.

For the timing belt; be sure you have a gear puller that pulls straight, not on an angle. Hate to see how much a camshaft pulley would cost...
Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I just changed my oil cooler pipe this past weekend. What a miserable job for my son & I to do. Be prepared to fabricate a custom tool by cutting off part of an Allen Wrench and using a Box wrench to turn.

For the timing belt; be sure you have a gear puller that pulls straight, not on an angle. Hate to see how much a camshaft pulley would cost...

Is this home made Allen bit for the "top bolt" I've been reading about?

Also, what gaskets/o rings did you end up using? Was it a kit? Thanks
Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the link from my signature.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this a couple of weeks ago as well, major pain in the rear compared with doing it on an A6 C5. Just take your time and you will get through it.

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

Search this Thread