A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005.5 A8 4.2L - About to do Timing Belt

Old 11-30-2016, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyst
Is this home made Allen bit for the "top bolt" I've been reading about?

Also, what gaskets/o rings did you end up using? Was it a kit? Thanks
No, the "bottom left" bolt. Buy the correct gaskets from a dealer. The "figure 8" as well as ones for the coolant pipes (five end seals). It's a good idea to have an assortment of metric nuts with different hex sizes and same thread size to help remove the dreaded exhaust manifold stud.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

For the timing service you also want the little tool to tension the cam belt and as Mister Bally said use a good puller when breaking the cam gears loose. I bought the tensioner tool and the correct cam puller when I did mine and I don't think they were very expensive.

For the oil pipe there is some good info in the link below. You definitely want the figure 8 gasket and all new seals for the alternator coolant pipes. Timing belt is easy. Oil cooler pipe is not.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-pipe-2901800/
Old 11-30-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
For the timing service you also want the little tool to tension the cam belt and as Mister Bally said use a good puller when breaking the cam gears loose. I bought the tensioner tool and the correct cam puller when I did mine and I don't think they were very expensive.

For the oil pipe there is some good info in the link below. You definitely want the figure 8 gasket and all new seals for the alternator coolant pipes. Timing belt is easy. Oil cooler pipe is not.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-pipe-2901800/
For the oil cooler pipe, is this one of those that could be / should be rolled into a "while you're in there" when you do the timing belt? Or...does that not factor in there, and the TB does not buy you any additional access/etc?

I'll be doing my TB sometime in 2017 (or maybe over the holidays) so want to know what *else* to plan for.

Last edited by nathanwind; 11-30-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't change my coolant pipe when I did the timing service. I changed it when it broke. Personally I don't think it's that big of deal to put the car in service position. But you never know when/if the pipe will fail. I got lucky and it failed in my driveway at home. If it had failed on a long trip it would have cost some serious money and time to have it towed home.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I just changed my oil cooler pipe this past weekend. What a miserable job for my son & I to do. Be prepared to fabricate a custom tool by cutting off part of an Allen Wrench and using a Box wrench to turn.

For the timing belt; be sure you have a gear puller that pulls straight, not on an angle. Hate to see how much a camshaft pulley would cost...
Depending on allen size, FWIW I can usually pop the allen tips out of a 3/8 socket drive set up and just use them loose; can be a lot easier than cutting through a hardened allen shaft--at least any of the better quality ones.

And yes, to some of the points here and elsewhere, I would only do the job with a gear puller that works for the job. I did one 30 years ago with the old rubber mallet and generic gear puller on one hand, and several times on various motors including on the 4.2 with the proper one. Night and day difference. Cam gears can also bend by the way w/ crap tool approach...BTDT. And since no one has mentioned it, I will label this area (and tool) as one with real personal safety issues. If that cam snaps back (and it will!) and your finger is anywhere near the teeth, it can quickly be a trip to the emergency room, and maybe more than just stitches. Net, working at the cam gear while under valve spring tension load has risks and I would not cheap on that tool.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the replies. honestly this is the most help I've had on a forum haha.

so what I gather for replacing this oil cooler pipe is I'll need 4 o rings that come on it, the figure 8 o ring, o ring for alternator ports (how many?)
and does the oil cooler it self have a gasket to seal it to the block?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Before you dig into it I would recommend finding every post you can about changing it and read them all.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Before you dig into it I would recommend finding every post you can about changing it and read them all.
I've had my note book open all morning lol

I just ordered the aluminum pipe.

now searching for o ring part numbers but vagcat is down again!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This link doesn't show the figure 8 seal.

Online Audi A8/S8 quattro spare parts catalogue, USA market, 2005 model year: engine group, oil pump, oil filter, oil filter bracket, oil dipstick, oil cooler subgroup, Audi VIN decoder, aftermarket, etka online

**Edit** The part# isn't pictured or numbered but it's there. 077198405

Last edited by the_duke; 11-30-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Search this Thread