A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A8L Turn Signal Problem - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 A8L Turn Signal Problem - HELP

My turn signals were working fine before today's car wash.
After my car wash:

I signal left: - Nothing happens, no clicking sounds

I signal right:
- Nothing happens, however on rare occasions the left signal will turn on (Yes the opposite signal) without no clicking noise, then few seconds into the indicator being on the clickers chime in.

Hazards: - Work perfectly, clicking sounds and everything.

This problem occurred directly after the car wash.

I am a novice at best when it comes to fixing the car on my own, but I do not want to go to the dealer and have to pay a 100 BAJILLION dollars.

So if anyone knows anything as to how I should go about this, please let me know. I do NOT have a VagCom I googled my surrounding areas and no one else seems to have one as well.

Please any help is appreciated.

Thank You
Old 02-14-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't help you from a distance, but night in a warm garage might cure your problem.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Can't help you from a distance, but night in a warm garage might cure your problem.
Hey Mishar,

Alrighty I'll give that a try. Did you end up buying a new A8 yet?
Old 02-14-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeK1D
After my car wash:

I signal right:
- Nothing happens, however on rare occasions the left signal will turn on (Yes the opposite signal) without no clicking noise, then few seconds into the indicator being on the clickers chime in.

I am a novice at best when it comes to fixing the car on my own, but I do not want to go to the dealer and have to pay a 100 BAJILLION dollars.

So if anyone knows anything as to how I should go about this, please let me know. I do NOT have a VagCom I googled my surrounding areas and no one else seems to have one as well.

Thank You
It won't be close to 100 BAJILLION dollars. Worst case at a United States dealer; likely less than $2000.00 .Canada, $3k as parts cost more to "land" there.

If mishar's idea works, consider using the money you just saved and buy the proper interface from Ross-Tech. It is worth its' weight in gold.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 02-14-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fixed! I got back into the vehicle, signaled left and the opposite indicator kept flashing. For about 30 seconds I kept on playing back and forth with the turn signal lever and eventually the right turn signal showed sign of life where it blinked once, then again, and then again. Bam, back in business, all indicators work properly now, I guess the water dried up all on its own (kind of what Mishar was referring to).
Old 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
It won't be close to 100 BAJILLION dollars. Worst case at a United States dealer; likely less than $2000.00 .Canada, $3k as parts cost more to "land" there.

If mishar's idea works, consider using the money you just saved and buy the proper interface from Ross-Tech. It is worth its' weight in gold.
Yes you are right Mister Bally, that tool is an absolute must with this vehicle, I will track down a distributor tonight.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes you are right Mister Bally, that tool is an absolute must with this vehicle, I will track down a distributor tonight.
Just buy it straight from Rosstech. Any reliable distributor will charge as much or a bit more. There are made in China ones that are cheaper, but they don't offer full functionality quite often, if they work at all.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After my car wash:

I signal right:

Thank You
You may want to check for water ingression in the trunk by the battery and under the dash, which may be caused by clogged plenum drains. The reason I say this is because you said the problem popped up after a car wash and from the pictures shown below. One thing I am not going to include below is module J667 which is the module attached to the back of the headlight directly and has an input or output for the turn signals. It should be easy to check. Just pop the hood and poke around. Turn Signal Diagrams with controlling modules that should be checked (highlighted):

J393 is located in the trunk behind the battery, J519 is located behind the drivers foot well, and J690 is the tail light itself. So just give the whole car a look over in those locations since you don't have vag-com yet to provide a specific location for possible water ingression and/or bad modules. Also while checking the plenum drain, in the engine compartment, check the surround area for pooling water if they have never been cleaned before. Sorry if this is overkill but I hate the thought of water ingression and electrical issues. I also included the module that is directly attached to the turn signal stalk, it may just be a coincidence that J527 started acting up right after a car wash and decided to sort itself out eventually.

Last edited by jlbell; 02-14-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlbell
You may want to check for water ingression in the trunk by the battery and under the dash, which may be caused by clogged plenum drains. The reason I say this is because you said the problem popped up after a car wash and from the pictures shown below. One thing I am not going to include below is module J667 which is the module attached to the back of the headlight directly and has an input or output for the turn signals. It should be easy to check. Just pop the hood and poke around. Turn Signal Diagrams with controlling modules that should be checked (highlighted):

J393 is located in the trunk behind the battery, J519 is located behind the drivers foot well, and J690 is the tail light itself. So just give the whole car a look over in those locations since you don't have vag-com yet to provide a specific location for possible water ingression and/or bad modules. Also while checking the plenum drain, in the engine compartment, check the surround area for pooling water if they have never been cleaned before. Sorry if this is overkill but I hate the thought of water ingression and electrical issues. I also included the module that is directly attached to the turn signal stalk, it may just be a coincidence that J527 started acting up right after a car wash and decided to sort itself out eventually.
Outstanding! Thanks for the extremely thorough response, this is likely how I'll be spending tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for all the info, I don't know where you got it all from but may the lord bless your soul ahaha.

I do think that the water is pooling somewhere in the engine bay as about 3 car washes ago one of the foglight bulbs blew right after a car wash.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Just buy it straight from Rosstech. Any reliable distributor will charge as much or a bit more. There are made in China ones that are cheaper, but they don't offer full functionality quite often, if they work at all.
Yes I came across a lot of the vagcom copies on Ali Baba and Ebay. Will likely dish out the money at Rosstech.

Quick Reply: 2005 A8L Turn Signal Problem - HELP