A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line

Hello, I have a 2006 A8 with the 4.2 that has a vacuum leak, I am wondering if any of you may know what is supposed to attach at this location. It as the back side of the intake manifold just forward of the throttle body. I currently have the line just capped which made the car run better, but I suspect that the line may be supposed to connect to something elsewhere. Sorry, I don't know how to make this picture bigger.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Welcome, my guess would be to the "combi valve" (EGR valve) which gets really hot as it's right above the cats (there are two combi valves). Do a search or maybe someone has a pic?

-Tom

PS I clicked on your photo and it got big.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures always help:

The empty "outlet" you have pictured is suppose to have the hose my index finger is gripping. The last image shows it running towards the passenger side of the car.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe ?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will check on my passenger fender area, that hose that's disconnected is what I was using as a cap lol I wish it were that simple! Thank you guys, I'll see if I have any luck here
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay, so apparently there has been some misrouting here. I just bought the car and they engine was freshly changed due to the previous one jumping time. So the yellow should go from that vacuum line to the purge valve, but where does the purge valve go to? The person who changed the engine hooked the purge valve to the fuel rail return, so I'll run a new hose for the return line, but now I need to determine where the purge valve exit should route to. Sorry for so many questions lol this is what I get for buying someone's failed project

click image upload
Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The original engine didn't "jump time"; the timing belt failed destroying the engine. So the million dollar question is, did they just change the engine or did they change the timing belt on the replacement engine before they installed it? If the intent was to throw an engine at it just to sell the car, then I suspect that the timing belt needs to be changed.

I have seen what happens when the timing belt fails. It isn't pretty. The last one I saw took out, both heads, one piston, and scored a cylinder. In short, the engine went from good to scrap in less than a second.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

He claimed the engine was changed, it does run very well so I am inclined to believe that the engine was indeed replaced. I am going to replace the timing belt on the engine as a preventative measure. I did get all the fuel lines figured out, now i just need to address the front bumper electronics. Do you by chance know what the small sensor is that is mounted above the passenger side horn?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakecostello
He claimed the engine was changed, it does run very well so I am inclined to believe that the engine was indeed replaced. I am going to replace the timing belt on the engine as a preventative measure. I did get all the fuel lines figured out, now i just need to address the front bumper electronics. Do you by chance know what the small sensor is that is mounted above the passenger side horn?
The missing line appears to be the blue line shown in my pictures. I have searched all trough ElsaWin and came up with these files that maybe helpful. There isn't much information with regard to the routing of the lines, it just gives a warning stating to take pictures or draw diagrams to avoid confusion when finishing a service. I would avoid driving the car until you find where to proper hoses and locations are. From what you pictures show the return fuel line is improperly connected. I am not sure what issues can arise, but best to play it safe as you don't want fuel going down the wrong line more than it already has. Here are the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gx3mhvjqz...ULzX-7Bya?dl=0

Finally if you don't mind waiting a few days I can get my car on a lift (might be able to today) and take a plethora of pictures to help you properly route the hoses.

Last edited by jlbell; 01-13-2017 at 01:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
target39 (09-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would really appreciate that, but certainly don't feel like you need to go out of your way. I am thinking yellow should route to charcoal canister, white is correct currently as a fuel supply line, so now I have to get the blue to return excess fuel to the tank. I suspect that the line to the charcoal canister is for some reason missing or misrouted. I feel bad being new to the forum and having you guys do all this work for me lol

Quick Reply: 2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line