A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line

Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakecostello
I would really appreciate that, but certainly don't feel like you need to go out of your way. I am thinking yellow should route to charcoal canister, white is correct currently as a fuel supply line, so now I have to get the blue to return excess fuel to the tank. I suspect that the line to the charcoal canister is for some reason missing or misrouted. I feel bad being new to the forum and having you guys do all this work for me lol
I said a plethora, and I only needed to take 2. Oops. Here they are:

It would appear that you car is different then mine, unless whenever whoever changed the engine they completely forgot to put back the blue hose. This just adds to the mystery. I think it might be in your best interest to find out what fuel injection system you have, and/or bring it to someone who has experience with these cars.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
... my guess would be to the "combi valve" (EGR valve)...
Danm, I thought you meant the little, hard line at the left! The big line, I dunno!? Where does the other end go?

Originally Posted by jlbell
...it just gives a warning stating to take pictures or draw diagrams to avoid confusion when finishing a service...
Haha good advice!

It would appear that you car is different then mine...
That reminds me, what is the engine code of your car?? It's stamped on the front top surface of the right head IIRC. Mine is BFM as are all 2004s in US but they could've replaced it with a newer one (although it appears you have the "old style" PCV/crankcase vent valve so = 2004=BFM); let us know which engine they put into your car please.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not really sure where I should be looking? I see a spot that looks like a lift point, but the top surface of that is smooth
Old 01-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so from google searching, I think you may have cracked the case here on what prompted the problem. My car is a 2006 which from pictures online appears to not have a fuel supply return line? But this engine may be the 2004 style as you mentioned, which does have a return line. So I suppose I could try to find a 2006 style fuel rail, or I could try to figure out a place for excess fuel to return to the tank
Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Apparently my fuel filter has a built in pressure regulator. I think I can probably block the return fuel line off and maybe I'll be good. I hate that this car has been messed with and isn't straight forward
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not really sure where I should be looking? I see a spot that looks like a lift point, but the top surface of that is smooth
My mistake; that's on my 1.8T. There are the smooth spots corresponding on the 4.2 but below is from Bentley. Just hope your engine matches the code from the vehicle data plate (located near the spare tire and in owner's manual; take a pic of it you may need it in the future). 2006s had either BFM or BGK engines.

...My car is a 2006 which from pictures online appears to not have a fuel supply return line? But this engine may be the 2004 style as you mentioned, which does have a return line....
That would suck.

Apparently my fuel filter has a built in pressure regulator...
Never heard of that, but I don't know everything.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line-screenshot_20170116_130853.png  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mistake; that's on my 1.8T. There are the smooth spots corresponding on the 4.2 but below is from Bentley. Just hope your engine matches the code from the vehicle data plate (located near the spare tire and in owner's manual; take a pic of it you may need it in the future). 2006s had either BFM or BGK engines.

That would suck.

Never heard of that, but I don't know everything.
The engine code is just the code for the engine. The fuel/intake system has another code to my knowledge. Also if you want to find the code easier just look in the wheel well in the trunk. The sticker will be placed on the box where the jack is placed. I just uploaded another file to the dropbox where it mentions that some BFM engines and MPI fuel system can not have a fuel return line. Weird! I am going to check one more source and upload that to the dropbox as well. Ok I uploaded a file that will finally answer if you should or should not have a fuel return line. Pull the luggage compartment lining out and follow the PDF labeled Checking For Fuel Return Line. If you car is designed for a fuel return line then you will have three ports going to the right side pump cap thing, it is described better and clearly laid out in the pdf that is uploaded. Hopefully this will end the mystery! Also upload pictures of what you find in the trunk, I am curious to see what is there, since I am to lazy and have no need to do it myself.

Last edited by jlbell; 01-16-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

...the code from the vehicle data plate (located near the spare tire and in owner's manual; ...
The engine code is just the code for the engine. The fuel/intake system has another code to my knowledge. Also if you want to find the code easier just look in the wheel well in the trunk. The sticker will be placed on the box where the jack is placed. .
Some cars have no box, there's always a sticker on the right sheetmetal of the car, near the spare. The box is also near the spare. Easiest is owner's manual, if you have the one from the cat (matching VINs).

BGKs have no FPR.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line-screenshot_20170116_162811.png  

Last edited by aTOMic; 01-16-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

PS You're right; there IS a fuel filter with internal regulator for cars with no return line!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya that's a pretty sweet design. I capped the return line, haven't driven the car yet but hopefully it'll run fine like that. It seems that I am slowly working all the bugs out of the car. I wish there was one local I could look at for reference. Seems that the A8 is relatively rare

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 A8 4.2 intake manifold vacuum line