A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8L 4.2 Won't Start Tries, just not quite there.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

did you resolve? If so, what was the issue? May help others down the road.

TIA
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, thank you for all of your responses.

IGL!!! ...(I Got Lucky)

was fiddling around and took r.r. cover off of pump in trunk.
Started to see how difficult to disassemble pump after watching some U Tubes.
started to take off gas line, must have been high pressure side, as began spraying gas immediately. After cleaning up gas in trunk...
Figured pump working, lol...try starting again.

This time placed key in ignition...(MMI button kept shutting down the starter motor).

"06 sounded like getting closer and closer to start, so held key/starter for 5 or 6 secs and to my joy she started up!? Kinda harsh at first, and almost shut her down, but thought wth, see what happens. Smoothed out after 5-10 secs of very rough idle. (Never touched gas pedal during shaking, spitting, and coughing of engine.)

Now starting like new again, runs like she always has.

who knows, maybe loosened a piece of debris in line when opened under pressure, or forced dirt thru injector while starter being "forced". One thing certain, if i'd have trailered to dealer, they would have replaced pumps, n voila car would've run, just like she does now! w/o spending $,$$$'s

****NOTE: Not recommended **** I Got Lucky!!! sooooo much could've gone wrong.

helps to have my '99 a8 running as a backup She's now my workhorse/truck. Thinking of taking the back seat out.
Any good Roof racks out there for the old girl?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

but there is no way that fixed it. With that mileage it's either the fuel pump or crank position sensor. CPS will do exactly that, sometimes work and then sometimes not. Eventually it will leave you stranded. If you're planning on keeping the car, I would replace that first followed by the fuel pump.

In the grand scheme of things, not that expensive and relatively easy to change. I proactively changed the pump on mine (the one on the pass side) but barely made it home on bad Crank sensor.

Last edited by A8CT; 02-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Glad it was that "easy", and that you posted the cure, (and that you didn't blow up)!

Originally Posted by Sir Thomas
...helps to have my '99 a8 running as a backup She's now my workhorse/truck. Thinking of taking the back seat out.
Any good Roof racks out there for the old girl?
You got a Sawzall? Might consider an A8Camino, like this crazy basterd (sic) in Wisconsin who made one out of a 600-class Mercedes Pullman... He's not actually crazy, the car was unfixable and if anyone would know, he would!

Anyone complaining about A8L parts availability and price should read that article... $11,200 for a (hydraulic) window switch...

Last edited by aTOMic; 02-20-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Re it will leave you stranded: If the fuel filter was completely occluded, relieving the pressure as you did may have dislodged some dirt, allowing the fuel to flow. Did you previously do a flow test or change the filter?
Just trying to connect the dots.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2006 won't start

Thank you, thank you, aTOMic for both of ur responses!
Thank you, thank you A8CT for ur response!

aTOMic...
I must admit that i was just piddling around when "playing" with the rear pump/lines. I did not do a fuel flow test or change the filter. My "brain" said, jeez, it's so close to actually starting/running it just might catch!? My father taught me to listen to the engine as a diagnostic. Sounded soooo close! So I took a chance. I have learned in my 15+years with Audi, that Audi's are not ur fathers old "Buick's ", by any stretch, but a cars parts are still just nuts n bolts n parts, to a degree.

As to the Camino isng of my 99 a8 4.2, history tells me that the Camino was both a lousy car, and an even worse truck. lol. So cutting the top off, and customising the suspension will be the "final frontier" for her. I would, however, like a quality roof rack for her! Plywood etc.!!!

I did enjoy the 600 MerCamino photo!!! lol Doubt my 99 A8 will reach that much of and undignified end.

A8CT ... Thank you for the CPS information!!! I am with you that I did not
"fix" the problem, and have only temporarily gotten '06 to continue running!?
With that, I must say that she "sounds" like my girl of old!? If she strands me in the future, I will attack the CPS and or fuel pumps and sing ur praises.

Love this web site..."Sir Thomas"
Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My A6 4.2 acted quite the same. It would crank but not start. Then after letting it sit a while it started. This happened quite a few times. It also would run real rough and then smooth out. Finally it quit while driving home and would not restart. I had it towed to the local Audi dealership and it turned out it was the fuel pump. They replaced both the pump and the filter and its been running fine ever since.
I'd make sure I have my AAA card in my wallet if i were you.
Cars rarely heal themselves.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

These cars use a duel fuel pump setup with both coming on when started.
This builds pressure quickly and then the secondary pump shuts off after about 30 seconds.

Since the secondary pump works 1/3 of the time rarely will both pumps fail at the same time.

The car will start and run on just the secondary pump, as my main pump is dead and I have required the secondary pump to take up the slack while waiting for parts.

So I would check the filter for the fuel and then possible vacuum or ignition issues.

I have changed a crank angle sensor but the car will throw codes if it is that. It will also crank without firing and then the starter will time out. Usually if the engine is bone cold the crank sensor will still work and not when any temp is in the motor.

Mike
Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well it was a fuel supply issue. Need a pressure reading on the rail (s)

I'm with the crew here, things don't fix themselves. You can back-flow a fuel filter and purge them, that does happen. Ive done it - the dirt that comes out is outrageous!

You can also run fuel cleaner to destroy certain elements that can clog. But ultimately the real problem should be located with a proper diagnostic, otherwise there is risk of being stranded when you least expect it.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is now June 2018 and the old girl is still starting like a champ. Have had no issue with 2006 A8l starting or running!?
IGL ...( I Got Lucky )

now having D2s drivers side head lamp issues ... see D2S headlamp trouble thread