A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A8L ENGINE WONT SHUT OFF !!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8L ENGINE WONT SHUT OFF !!! HELP

HEY I WENT PARKED MY CAR HAD IT STARTED WITH THE START BUTTON WITH KEY IN MY POCKET.I PUSHED THE ENGINE STOP BUTTON AND AS USUAL ALL THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF AND MMI SCREEN WENT DOWN WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR I NOTICED THAT THE ENGINE DID NOT TURN OFF. I PRESSED THE ENGINE STOP BUTTON ONCE AGAIN AND STILL TO SHUT OFF. I STUCK MY KEY IN THE IGNITION TURNED IT ON AND OFF STILL NO ENGINE SHUT OFF. I HAD NO ERROR CODES ON THE DASH OR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. THE LIGHTS INSIDE TURN ON AND SO DOES THE A/C BUT NON OF THE DISPLAY FOR THE HEAT CONTROLS OR DASH GO ON. I SHUT OFF THE POSITIVE TERMINAL AND STILL THE ENGINE RAN. CALLED FRIEND WAS TOLD TO SHORT IT BY TOUCHING THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL WITH THE POSITIVE WIRE. THAT SHUT OFF THE ENGINE. LET THE CAR SIT A BIT RECONNECTED THE WIRE TO THE BATTERY AND STILL GETTING NO START AND NO SCREEN SLIDING UP. CHANGED MY BATTERY IN MY KEY AND STILL NO USE . ANY THING YOU GUYS CAN HELP WITH .

IF I DO GET IT TOWED HOW CAN I PUT IT IN TOW MODE WITH THE MMI SCREEN NOT SLIDING UP.

YOU CAN PLEASE TEXT ME 917-579-5134 SO I CAN GET A FASTER RESPONSE.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Again with the all caps. That's hard to read. Start with checking the fuses, I wonder if you had a short somewhere. Do you have a VAG COM cable to read the computer? You won't get an idiot light for every code.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Wow...

Originally Posted by NYCA8L
... I SHUT OFF THE POSITIVE TERMINAL AND STILL THE ENGINE RAN. CALLED FRIEND WAS TOLD TO SHORT IT BY TOUCHING THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL WITH THE POSITIVE WIRE. THAT SHUT OFF THE ENGINE. LET THE CAR SIT A BIT RECONNECTED THE WIRE TO THE BATTERY AND STILL GETTING NO START AND NO SCREEN SLIDING UP. CHANGED MY BATTERY IN MY KEY AND STILL NO USE ...
Yeah, I bet that shut off the engine! That's going to take a whole lot more than a key fob battery if I understand this right. Say, like basically a new electrical system, alternator, and who knows what else. If this is for real, almost might as well have taken an ax to it. If you are extremely lucky, you just did something like burned one of the heavy fusible links back in the electrical panel above the battery. Might have cost some electronics along the way though. Get a manual plus VCDS to scan (if it is even alive). Or given what I'm reading here, better to get it to a shop that knows the car and Audi electrical in general.

Meanwhile, if car was actually in gear (or the electronics thought it was in gear) when this mess started you would have had to hold down the stop button for several seconds to shut it off. Better move than the ridiculous battery short advice would have been to either hold down the stop button, or to shift it in and out of park if it wasn't reading the gear shift correctly. I would have done that and many, many other things before even remotely thinking of anything involving shorting terminals with a running motor...and used to work (and no fun to remove) thousand dollar water cooled alternator... Wow.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-17-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mother of God, I missed the "short the battery" bit. Was your friend trying to get you to set the car on fire or toast all the electrics?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 or +2

Don't ever listen to that friend's advise. He has no clue.

Just disconnecting battery and reconnecting it while engine is running can burn your alternator. Shortening it most likely did it. As MP said, if you are extremely lucky it could be big fuse burned, bur with your knowledge level it would be the best to take it to the shop. Forget the towing mode. You may need to shift it to neutral. Take the ashtray out. There is a small hole close to the middle of the bottom. press there to release the shiftier.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default HOLY CRAP!!!!!

I have nothing more to add other than get it recovered to a shop/dealer before you cause more damage. And that friend of yours....never ever get any car advice from him again.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
+1 or +2

Don't ever listen to that friend's advise. He has no clue.

Just disconnecting battery and reconnecting it while engine is running can burn your alternator. Shortening it most likely did it. As MP said, if you are extremely lucky it could be big fuse burned, bur with your knowledge level it would be the best to take it to the shop. Forget the towing mode. You may need to shift it to neutral. Take the ashtray out. There is a small hole close to the middle of the bottom. press there to release the shiftier.
you could have easily pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and cut off the fuel to the engine...which would have taken less time and caused less issue than what the OP did. This form of engine kill most likely did a lot more damage than any good, sorry to say.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Might as well have tried shoving a broomstick or big-a$$ screwdriver ihrough some of the pulleys to stop it.

NOTE: The above comment was a joke to emphasize another silly way to stop an engine.

If it happened to me, I'd let it idle until it ran out of fuel or try removing the oil cap to see if it would stall like my older Audi's would do. Pull off the air intake hose between the MAF and engine using the screwdriver in the trunk, etc.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
...If it happened to me, I'd let it idle until it ran out of fuel ...
Pulling the 20 amp fuel pump fuse would yield the same results and save you the cost of a fill-up and the time waiting for it to actually run out of fuel.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the consensus is that shorting the battery is a bad move. Two things can be taken from this.
A. Be careful whose advice you listen to, there are a lot of idiots.
B. Don't rush to find a solution, and in your hurry make things worse. Taking a moment to use common sense might have allowed the thought that intentionally shorting the electrical system is about the worst way to try to solve the problem.

Quick Reply: 2006 A8L ENGINE WONT SHUT OFF !!! HELP