A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 needing timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I used a top notch independent to do mine.

Originally Posted by wildwilly1
have 79k on the car getting ready to order a kit and have a mechanic replace. where is a good place to order the complete kit from and what is a fair price for the actual mechanics bill to replace there are a couple of places in lex ky that do this just would like to get your guys opinion on the price so I will know what is fair and reasonable thx
He used OEM parts and charged a little less than 1800.00. It seemed like a lot. But car was done in one day and has been trouble free.
I think 1500.00 is a good price. 2000.00 is a high price to pay. But getting it done right is the important thing.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

if its good enough for mishar good enough for me
I really hope that it is good enough for me.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Online discounted OEM kit at a dealer comes over $1000 and should be the best choice. Anything less than $450 must be low quality if containing all parts. Answers that may come here are rarely based on a relevant experience. There is only one guy here who had negative experience that counts. He will kick in for sure. There is/was another whose mechanic damaged his timing belt and he was angry about belt manufacturer. Positive experiences with any kit are mostly irrelevant since they are not based on enough long time. All kits will work fine when they are new. So go for reputable supplier and keep your fingers crossed.

Replacing takes about 8 hours to a guy who knows what he is doing, has all special tools and follows necessary procedures. That comes around $650. Cutting corners can save a bunch of time but can be costly too. There is a video on YouTube that should be named "how it should not be done".
Hmmm; I wonder if Mishar is talking about me?

To the original poster, please see this thread < https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2852871/ >> and read from beginning to end. Click on each link for the full story. Photo links too.

Bottom line, buy OEM from a dealer. You can find one on line if necessary. Be sure everything comes in VW/Audi packaging. Everything as any one failure could cost you an engine or at least all of the valves.

Of course you will need some special tools to do the job yourself. I even discuss the tool rental "deal" one of the suppliers of garbage parts offers. So not worth it I bought all of the tools myself for the second time I replaced my timing belt and everything.

Please read all of the links and make an informed decision.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 09-18-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: classified
Old 09-18-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you do everything while it's torn apart. I'm talking timing belt, all tensioners, pulleys, water pump, and THIS THING http://www.ebay.com/itm/261324657410?item=261324657410&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a price yesterday from a indy in lexington. they are doing a complete job everything you guys mentioned that needs done. $1180 plus tax . they use oem parts from audi for everything. comes with a 15 mnth 15k mile warranty on p&l . i thought this was pretty good. taking it in tuesday be done that day. the company has a a plus rating with the bbb . they only work on vws and audis and have been in business since 1987. sounds like a pretty good deal to me what do you guys think. i am going to call the local audi dealership today and just get a price just to see what they would charge
Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyone like to guess what the stealership want for this service? totally ridiculous.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 1200 -1300 is a very low price

got a price yesterday from a indy in lexington. they are doing a complete job everything you guys mentioned that needs done. $1180 plus tax . they use oem parts from audi for everything. comes with a 15 mnth 15k mile warranty on p&l . i thought this was pretty good. taking it in tuesday be done that day. the company has a a plus rating with the bbb . they only work on vws and audis and have been in business since 1987. sounds like a pretty good deal to me what do you guys think. i am going to call the local audi dealership today and just get a price just to see what they would charge
The pricing is low. Is that a turnkey price?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1180 plus tax out the door
Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I find it hard to believe they are using OEM parts for that price. If I were you, look at all packaging and verify they are genuine. One of the threads I posted in had photos of genuine VW/Audi parts. I fear that they may be using something like the junk I warn against using. If genuine, you are getting a great deal.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Man... seems like a lot of people say use OEM or else. I have used timing belt kits from Gates, Dayco, and Continental and all of them make a very good kit. Actually, I bet one of these manufactures probably supplies the idlers and belts to Audi. I know Ferrari uses Dayco, Porsche uses Gates and Continental. IMO, if you buy quality parts with a proven track record they will be just as good as OEM. Don't forget the mechanic is probably the most important part of the equation. If the mechanic does a **** poor job, it doesn't matter how good the parts out.

Quick Reply: 2006 needing timing belt change