A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 needing timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default I used to think that...

Yes, I used to trust given brands, or what I thought were such. Realistically, I probably didn't value my own time as much either as I do now, since I am a DIY'er.

What has become a real problem for me is the quality of aftermarket. IF you can find it from a legit longtime supplier, and IF it isn't counterfeit, it may still work fine. But unfortunately in the last five years or so a lot of low quality stuff has crept in to the broad aftermarket in general, often with Euro sounding brand names in the case of European cars. But in fact, it often isn't these days, if you can even find the legally required country of origin on the part. And because Audi specifically is now also manufacturing and selling a lot of vehicles in countries like China it is even more of an invite for increasing issues. Some of the legit top tier suppliers like Mann are also manufacturing in places like China, so (unless counterfeit) it may essentially be the legit/accepted part. A higher end vehicle like an A8 is still rare there so local demand for parts modest, but as soon as a part crosses to the A6, that is commonly sold. It can happen from Eastern Europe too, but then in the next breath some of those legit suppliers are in either or both geographies.

On timing belt stuff specifically, I too have been burned by that, in my case the tensioner on the C5 A6 4.2. Should have gone with the dealer one to start with, instead of the seemingly okay one via AutohausAZ for "less than half" the money. Within 2 years and about 30K miles, when I pulled the head again for an unrelated issue, I could see the belt wasn't running squarely relative to the now somewhat off angle tensioner. So I essentially paid 1 ½ x discounted dealer price in the end, since the aftermarket one had to go in the trash can at ridiculously low miles.

I tend to agree with you on the belt itself, and will buy a Conti or a Gates as examples. The problem tends to be a lot of the other related parts are not well branded, marked or really even known who are the suppers underneath, and a failure of any one of those in the timing belt drive can be catastrophic. And even the serp belt issues are no fun and often involve a breakdown and/or tow. Even on water pumps there are questions, and that goes all the way back to my crappy C1 40 years on, then my first timing belt car 30 years on, the 5000S.

On the same 2000 A6 as another example, the front upper control arms sold via Blau that lasted a few tens of thousands of miles before problems became apparent far more serious than the ones that were removed originally at much higher mileage. Thus, no more no name suspension parts (or faux Euro sounding--Meyle in that case) for me either, unless it is intentional like the Bilstein's on the A6, or the KYB's on the Mini S.

I have to live with the same D3 suspension bits we all have, but honestly any time I curse some (occasional) tight clearance issue on the W12, I am also honestly glad to have put timing belt hassles, maintenance costs and nagging worries of when to bite the bullet interval wise behind me.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dan87951
Man... seems like a lot of people say use OEM or else. I have used timing belt kits from Gates, Dayco, and Continental and all of them make a very good kit. Actually, I bet one of these manufactures probably supplies the idlers and belts to Audi. I know Ferrari uses Dayco, Porsche uses Gates and Continental. IMO, if you buy quality parts with a proven track record they will be just as good as OEM. Don't forget the mechanic is probably the most important part of the equation. If the mechanic does a **** poor job, it doesn't matter how good the parts out.
Read my post a few above yours for my water pump story. Blau's slick marketing gave the illusion that their water pump was OEM. Their serpentine belt was junk as well. As far as them later changing serpentine belt suppliers; too little too late. They should have attempted contact with their customers and sent a new belt.

Their timing belt itself would have let go ruining my engine with far fewer miles than the original belt lasted. This is why I posted for the OP's benefit. Even if he has a shop do the work, if you are relying on your car to last a long time and drive it at high speeds (170 mph/270+kph) from time to time, you want the best components there are.

I agree that genuine Gates or Conti is great stuff. Neither makes water pumps as far as I know. Be careful who rollers and tensioners are made by as well.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As for China, WABCO, the maker of the A8's ECAS electric air compressor, now has a huge, modern facility in China. Today they primarily make pneumatic brake valves for heavy trucks world-wide. A plant in India makes air brake actuators and heavy truck mechanical drive air compressors. All tooling is either new or transferred from WABCO European plants. All employees are WABCO employees. There were many expat employees setting up the plant and its manufacturing and quality systems. Thus, their stuff is still of excellent quality and design.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a link to there site all factory or oem parts and i also asked him they give a 15month or 15k mile warranty on parts and labor sounds pretty good to me Auto Gallery - Independent VW® and Audi® Service Since 1987
Old 09-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Read my post a few above yours for my water pump story. Blau's slick marketing gave the illusion that their water pump was OEM. Their serpentine belt was junk as well. As far as them later changing serpentine belt suppliers; too little too late. They should have attempted contact with their customers and sent a new belt.

Their timing belt itself would have let go ruining my engine with far fewer miles than the original belt lasted. This is why I posted for the OP's benefit. Even if he has a shop do the work, if you are relying on your car to last a long time and drive it at high speeds (170 mph/270+kph) from time to time, you want the best components there are.

I agree that genuine Gates or Conti is great stuff. Neither makes water pumps as far as I know. Be careful who rollers and tensioners are made by as well.
I don't know anything about Blau's parts. Just curious but do they even list brand names? Gates does make water pumps and makes a kit for the A8 with everything you need. If I end up getting a A8 I plan on using their kit and will report back.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dan87951
I don't know anything about Blau's parts. Just curious but do they even list brand names? Gates does make water pumps and makes a kit for the A8 with everything you need. If I end up getting a A8 I plan on using their kit and will report back.
They mention names and plaster OE all over their website as well as the papers that come with the kit. Here is a current piece of fishwrap from their website for the D3 A8's:
Audi Timing Belt Kit - Audi A8 Timing Belt Kit - Audi A8 4.2L D3

Click on the video link at the top of the page for more bile.

Be sure to report how many years and miles it lasts after the installation. Blau's junk did not even make the 75,000 mile recommended replacement interval which seems too short to me. Considering that the original OEM timing belt, serpentine belt and water pump were good at 125,000 miles for me. I replaced them since the thermostat stuck closed for me and thanks to "Art in Engineering"; the timing belt has to be removed to replace the thermostat.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 09-19-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wildwilly1
have 79k on the car getting ready to order a kit and have a mechanic replace. where is a good place to order the complete kit from and what is a fair price for the actual mechanics bill to replace there are a couple of places in lex ky that do this just would like to get your guys opinion on the price so I will know what is fair and reasonable thx
All-in you're looking at $1200 to $1800. Blauparts seems to be the recurring theme for non-OEM kit (~$500) options, otherwise source an OEM kit ($900-$1000) from an online Audi storefront.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Exact parts required for timing belt A8 D3

Does anybody know the reason behind some kits including different quantities of parts? Here's some differences I've seen:

077109244C - Relay Roller
Blauparts - qty 1
FCPEuro - qty 2
EuropaParts - qty 1

068103085A - Camshaft Seal
Blauparts - qty 2
FCPEuro - qty 4
EuropaParts - qty 4

I've been spending a ton of time figuring out exactly what to replace when doing the 75k timing belt service; maybe it would be a good idea to list out the menu for "required", "highly recommended" and "recommended" parts? At least for me this would be helpful, so I'll take a stab at it now.

I'll gladly come back and edit this list based on feedback regarding categorization, quantity, omissions, etc.

REQUIRED HARDWARE
078109119J - Timing Belt (qty 1)
077109244C - Relay Roller (qty 1)
077109244E - Timing Belt Roller (qty 1)
077109485E - Tensioner Lever/Roller (qty 1)
077109479D - Timing Belt Tensioning Dampener (qty 1)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HARDWARE
077121004P - Water Pump (qty 1)
078121043A - Water Pump Gasket (qty 1)
068103085A - Camshaft Seal (qty 2)
077115147A - Front Crank Seal (qty 1)
079121115N - Thermostat (qty 1)
N90136802 - Thermostat O-Ring (qty 1)
G013A8J1G - Coolant - (qty 6L)

RECOMMENDED HARDWARE
077903137AE - Accessory Belt (qty 1)
077903133F - Accessory Belt Tensioner (qty 1)
077109244F - Accessory Belt Roller (qty 1)
N10238805 - Socket Head Screw With Collar for Lower Crankshaft Pulley (qty 8)
078105229D - Crankshaft Gear Bolt (qty 1)
077198025A - Valve Cover Gasket Kit (qty 2)

Hopefully others find this useful =)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default $2000-$2500/80000 miles = 2.5-3.1 cents a mile - Is it too much?

how much price difference be between aftermarket and OEM belt and water pump? Why nickel and dime ourselves? If the peace of mind isn't worth a few hundred bucks then I don't think we should be driving this car.
All timing belt is made with kevlar insert, it should last a very long time, but the rubber material can be made cheaper (just like cheap tires and expensive tires, more plastic less rubber or vice versa), this is where the teeth wear out or break immaturely. Also, the belt that's sold at the discount place may be stored for many years (same with discount tires).
Again, it's a roll of the dice because we don't know where and how long these belts have been stored or made of. Trust your dealers, they may have newer belts and the quality of the belt is given (supposedly).

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-20-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ltooz, I agree and you bring up a good point. Genuine Audi parts have expiration dates on all parts that have a shelf life. This includes the timing and serpentine belts.

The reason I went with Blau the first time is that they offer tool rental for $50 or so when you buy their kits. I looked into buying the tools at the time (in 2010) and Zelenda, (who I thought was the only source and I have bought special VW/Audi tools from them before) wanted like $800 for the special tools. OEM parts, were over $800 so I was looking at $1600 for parts and tools plus an unknown amount of my time to do the job.

I got a quote from my dealer of $2200.00 for the parts and labor (they have the tools, you pay for them in the labor rate). I figured I would save a lot of money and do it myself using blaus "OEM quality and OEM Genuine" parts along with their tool rental. Well, we all know the lesson I learned.

Since I needed to replace the belt and water pump etc again, I bought all OEM stuff this time for about $900.00 and bought all of the tools from Baum Tools in Florida for about $500.00. I shopped around as Snap On lists them (lower price than Baum) but quoted several weeks to get some of them. Zelenda was more expensive and did not have everything saying "a few weeks".

Others have mentioned things like "if you are worried about a few dollars here or there, maybe you shouldn't be driving an A8" etc to me in the past. As I have mentioned, I am an Audi "demographic reject" and can drive one by watching how I spend my money on certain things. I have said this before. I have posted the facts on what I experienced with what I believe are non OEM quality, not OEM durable yet marketed as being OEM in a very slick way replacement components. I just wanted others to be aware and they can make their own decision. I truly feel that the timing belt, rollers, idlers and water pump need to be OEM only direct from Audi.

Heck, I'll bet there are some who will "be selling it soon" so they will go with the cheapest option and let the next owner have their serpentine belt fly off a thousand miles from home or have their water pump start leaking prematurely or worse yet, have the timing belt snap when they are trying to go 150 + mph.

I got into the how I should spend my argument when the regular vs. premium debate came up as gas was hitting $4.00 for the first time in the US years ago. I finally did an unscientific test that showed the lower fuel economy between regular and premium was worth about 5¢ per gallon, not the 20¢ being charged. Now the price difference is 30¢ around here. Although I did not instrument the car for my testing, I noticed no performance differences in my daily commutes nor the times I would floor it to pass/overtake etc. I'm sure there is a .2 second difference in the 0-60 times but that is not worth it for everyday driving. There are knock sensors to prevent engine damage if the cheaper fuel is being used. Alas, on my 7700 mile road trip a few months ago, I used premium once we hit the mountain states. I thought is was best for that little speed run in Bonneville as well.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 09-20-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 needing timing belt change