Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 226514

Default 2007 A8 Front End Collision

This past Saturday I was in a front end collision with my 2007 A8. I t-boned the drivers side of a car that ran a red light. Everyone was okay.

I am not sure how fast I was moving as I started from a complete stop at a stop light. I figure somewhere between 15-20mph; as I had to cross two lanes to get into the other driver's lane. So, I didn't have that much time to get to the speed limit. But then again, the car can definitely get up to speed pretty quickly.

The front bumper, grill, hood and side panels are all bent. Radiator, condenser, lights, light washer, parking sensors and adaptive cruise control sensors will all have to be replaced. Who knows what else they will find. I attached some pictures.

I estimate the car has a value of anywhere between $17k to $24k. The lower being average to rough valuation per NADA, Black Book, Edumnds and KBB. Car had a prior accident (another owner), so that is why I grabbed rough to average value. The higher would be used car retail price (probably without accidents). Not knowing exactly the methodology the insurance company will use to value the car, but with the range provided, will the insurance company make an attempt to repair or total it? Should I even let them try to repair the car. I have no idea what lies behind the grill and what else could have been damaged. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140322_083914.jpg (78.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 20140322_083919.jpg (76.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20140322_083924.jpg (75.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20140322_095749.jpg (82.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20140322_095804.jpg (61.9 KB, 165 views)
rrosario22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Account #: 26081

Default A D4 scenario similar to this playing out; likely total; likely what you want

For OP, see this thread on the D4 board playing out now. http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=24545461

Forget the diatribes here and there from a few debating insurance stuff and focus on the D4 owner's first post and then his updates--especially where about a week ago he realized even if car got fixed he wouldn't want it so moved on mentally toward getting a replacement. Yours perhaps is more bolt on stuff while his clearly had frame and core non bolt on type problems that can take months to get done.

Off hand, I immediately see both fenders, most of the grill area and the hood. Wouldn't be surprised to see that add up to better part of $10K, assuming it is just (serious) superficial damage and paint. TBD would be any damage back into the front frame rails, hit to the front to the motor, radiator damage and even broken plastic mounting tabs for the headlights. The first two could easily tip it to a total, things like the latter two could add another thousand +, each.

If you want a higher and probably more accurate estimate, get it to an authorized Audi aluminum repair shop. There are indy ones that have been certified, at least in my area. That issue of choice of shops (and inherent biases around totaling) comes up a bunch in the D4 post too.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here. [If you want pics in foregoing links, ask AW where they went...used all to work] Upper control arm reference (+ more info in replies) here. Lower cost D3 OES sway bar links here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt); RS5 front brakes
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 64314

That is likely totaled
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 242183

Ouch. Glad all ok though. That will be a pricey repair as it will need an all new front end, as well as a bunch of internal bits and pieces. Did the airbags fire? Hope the main chassis rails are still straight.

It will probably be totaled by the insurance co. though given it's history.
dvs_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 55868

That is totaled for sure. Mine was about that damage and the total was a little north of 25K for the repairs. If they would have offered me a fair value I would have totaled mine but I got mine fixed.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 44043

It doesn't look like terrible damage. I would guess if the front doors do not have any damage, the front clip should not be a problem. I did a similar repair to my wife's 04' Passat. It also does not appear your airbags deployed? That is some money savings there as well. If this happened to me I would probably repair and upgrade as TSHong did with his car.
I notice the CT plate. Where abouts in CT? I'm in Manchester. You can PM me if desired.
Good luck with the car, glad everyone was ok.
Foglight ROW
VCDS Lowered
LED puddle/trunk lights
Keyfob/doorswitch window convenience mod

Chris Knox
President, Wasserwerks
Visit us at Wasserwerks.com or find us on facebook
@wasserwerks for instagram users
1Wasserwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381

I am glad that all are OK. Not sure just from pictures, but it looks like front is bent to the left, including main rails. If that is the case repair would be very expensive.
mishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
For OP, see this thread on the D4 board playing out now. http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=24545461

Forget the diatribes here and there from a few debating insurance stuff and focus on the D4 owner's first post and then his updates--especially where about a week ago he realized even if car got fixed he wouldn't want it so moved on mentally toward getting a replacement. Yours perhaps is more bolt on stuff while his clearly had frame and core non bolt on type problems that can take months to get done.

Off hand, I immediately see both fenders, most of the grill area and the hood. Wouldn't be surprised to see that add up to better part of $10K, assuming it is just (serious) superficial damage and paint. TBD would be any damage back into the front frame rails, hit to the front to the motor, radiator damage and even broken plastic mounting tabs for the headlights. The first two could easily tip it to a total, things like the latter two could add another thousand +, each.

If you want a higher and probably more accurate estimate, get it to an authorized Audi aluminum repair shop. There are indy ones that have been certified, at least in my area. That issue of choice of shops (and inherent biases around totaling) comes up a bunch in the D4 post too.
Thank you for the link. Very enlightening and informative. I figure I am in for a bit of a process with the insurance companies, but at least I have good information with which to protect myself.

My feeling is that it will be totaled, eventually. Fortunately I was already mulling over trading in the car for something else. When I saw the other driver, my first thought was brake and brace for impact. Second thought was, new car. Third thought, check if the other driver is okay. I cannot see myself keeping it if repaired. My hope is that they total it and I move on to the next one immediately. I will definitely have it sent to a certified Audi shop.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHong View Post
That is totaled for sure. Mine was about that damage and the total was a little north of 25K for the repairs. If they would have offered me a fair value I would have totaled mine but I got mine fixed.
How does your car drive after the repair? It's incredible how expensive it is to repair these types of cars. Without really looking into the car, the auto body shop where the car was initially towed to thought it was an $8K job. I told him that I doubted it. We'll see.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks View Post
It doesn't look like terrible damage. I would guess if the front doors do not have any damage, the front clip should not be a problem. I did a similar repair to my wife's 04' Passat. It also does not appear your airbags deployed? That is some money savings there as well. If this happened to me I would probably repair and upgrade as TSHong did with his car.
I notice the CT plate. Where abouts in CT? I'm in Manchester. You can PM me if desired.
Good luck with the car, glad everyone was ok.
Happened down in Stamford trying to get on 95 on ramp.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement