A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty fuel gauge audi a8 4.2tdi

Old 06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty fuel gauge audi a8 4.2tdi

Hello,
The following situation occured with my audi a8.

The fuel gauge shows empty, while the tank is full. No fault codes.

I already took the 4 sensors out of the tank, and the resistance of every sensor looks ok. Upper sensors are 70-157ohm. the lower sensors are 50-300ohm.

There are no fault codes. Fuel gauge just shows empty.

When doing the analog test with vcds the fuel gauge meter works.

The car has a diesel engine, but the gasonline version uses the same gauge senders.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Have the same issue with my 4.2 but it somewhat works. No codes and the sensors all read fine. Now I'm locked out and can't access the instruments section of vcds. I think I have to disconnect the battery to fix it.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes I've had the same thing on my W12, although mine doesn't show empty all the time, it will only show empty if the tank is more than half full, half full and under it reads but is a bit out, I've run out a few times with it showing just above reserve. It's apparently the wiring loom, I've read it somewhere on here that it's basically a bad/broken wire and my garage also did some research and has done another with the same problem. Trouble is replacing the whole loom is a big job, they are seeing if it can be 'fixed' where you don't have to replace the whole loom but just the one wire instead.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the answers!

Update:
I just checked all sensors again. The lower sensors have a resistance from 50 to 1000 Ohm. I mentioned 50 to 300 Ohm in the first post, but that is not correct. OEM value is 50 to 1000.

I also checked the wires. There are 5 wires that go directly from the cockpit to the sensors. 1 wire is the supply voltage that goes to all sensors. The other 4 wires are the "returning" ones from the fuel sensors to the cockpit. These wires are not open or short to plus. To make sure I made 5 new wires running through the trunk straight to the cockpit. This makes no difference. I strongly suspect the cluster itself. It will be tested this week by a rebuilding company. To be continued...
Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Thanks for the update here

I don't have anything to add, but appreciate the info. if it ever comes up for me or others. Cluster failure possibility rather than the usual sensors is a new twist.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update:
Instrument cluster was send to two different rebuilders, both were not able to diagnose/test it properly.

I'm now looking for a used one. I assume I have to go to the dealer to have it installed. This is not a VCDS Job. What info do I need from the donor car?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Instrument cluster has Component Protection and it has to be removed by a dealer. Problem is with the millage. It can't be adjusted (except if it is a brand new cluster). So donor car must be same as yours and millage on it should be close to your millage. Be aware that it is also recorded in the engine computer, so cheating is not advisable.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: Prolem solved!!

I replaced the cluster with a good used one and the fuel meter is working again!

Changed the mileage to the current mileage using vag tacho.

I's not neccesary to go to the dealer. There is no immobilizer inside this cluster!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Where did you get the used cluster? My 2005 A8 keeps reporting a low or mid tank when it is full or has more gas than it reports. Same situation as I've last reported. Thing is, the car is locked out of the Instruments section (17). I heard on one obscure post that detaching the battery could reset it and re-enable my access to the car's readings. Anyone hear of this? All other modules work perfect and allow me access in VCDS just not the instruments anymore. Just times out and say's it's unreachable.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi TDI
Update: Prolem solved!!

I replaced the cluster with a good used one and the fuel meter is working again!

Changed the mileage to the current mileage using vag tacho.

I's not neccesary to go to the dealer. There is no immobilizer inside this cluster!
What version of Vag Tacho? Do you have it?

Last edited by mishar; 08-06-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faulty fuel gauge audi a8 4.2tdi