A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printed vacuum pod arms

Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Printed vacuum pod arms

A demo of the vacuum pod arms I designed and printed to replace the defective Audi original. You can see the pods demo the vacuum over the rev range, thereby opening up different air intake tracts over the power curve. Making them at home saved some $$ and the Nylon I use likely will outperform the plastic Audi chose over the long haul.

Had them installed for a month now as a trial and they have performed perfectly.

Ive also designed and 3D Printed the bushings for the Anti Roll bar, which was a bit tricker to get correct. Installed various versions for over a month now.. finally got it quiet with no knocking. I ended up printing these 5 times at different infill settings and slightly diff shapes to get the right rigidity. On a normal ARB install this would be easier, but since Audi wants the arm held rigidly (originals are bonded) it somewhat more difficult.
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is very interesting. Are these prototypes that you plan on selling?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I make the vacuum arms out of metal. The metal arms will never crack like plastic.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I make the vacuum arms out of metal. The metal arms will never crack like plastic.
Netiher will Nylon, outside of specific strong acids, which (along with water on metal) would also attack metal. But to clarify, Im not presenting this as a superior option to Metal, merely something to replace the existing brittle/broken black plastic arms.

Last edited by mattsimis; 05-04-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsimis
Netiher will Nylon, outside of specific strong acids, which (along with water on metal) would also attack metal. But to clarify, Im not presenting this as a superior option to Metal, merely something to replace the existing brittle/broken black plastic arms.
Great stuff, will you be sharing the models with the community so we may make our own?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to say bravo for attempting this. I've done a lot of prototyping and can appreciate a person doing things on their own.

One thing to note is that except for high-end printers, the 3D-printed parts are not solid, but contain many air pockets and other irregularities. This causes the material strength to go down. Additionally, most any plastic component in our cars is fiber-reinforced, giving it superior strength properties. As of current technology, 3D-printers are not capable of this. Only injection-molding can create a type of plastic part. The fibers are especially important to the rigidity of the part in cases of hot environments in which the plastic becomes less rigid.

If you're confident in your design you may consider contacting an injection-molding manufacturer and putting this on the market.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used to sell the metal arms. There just isn't a large enough market for them to make it worth making and selling. If anyone is interested, I will sell my remaining stock of parts to make metal arms at cost assuming I can find them.

If anyone is interested I can tell you where to get the parts.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My problem with white nylon is that it gets brittle over time. It is worse with UV and heat exposure. Seems that the plasticizers disappear and then the nylon becomes brittle and fragile. Black nylon is less prone to UV damage. Heat is what causes the original plastic arms to break down over time.

Audi, like every other car manufacturer, is using any method possible to reduce weight. Every gram is counted. Years ago Dodge used plastic front fenders on their Intrepid cars. Audi went with aluminum for the body and frame to reduce weight.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think what has been said is indeed true about the plastics degrading in that environment, but If you already had a 3d printer the cost to make these would offset the negatives of a possibly earlier failure would it not?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3D Printed vacuum pod arms