A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:16 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can't buy it, maybe you can fabricate a plug? Rubber stopper with bolt through it, to squeeze it, like a boat drain plug?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjf
If you can't buy it, maybe you can fabricate a plug? Rubber stopper with bolt through it, to squeeze it, like a boat drain plug?
I had the same thought. Definitely not interested in buying and installing a new head.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I called audiusaparts and they are looking into it as well, if I get any info I will post. It doesn't make sense that you would need to replace the head for a seal/plug. Could this be part of the cam plug /seals?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kishoreh
It doesn't make sense that you would need to replace the head for a seal/plug.
Ha! German automotive parts mentality.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kishoreh
I called audiusaparts and they are looking into it as well, if I get any info I will post. It doesn't make sense that you would need to replace the head for a seal/plug. Could this be part of the cam plug /seals?
I doubt it. The guy from the dealer sent me an explosion diagram of the head parts. I had to mark the part myself (its on the reverse side of the engine; drivers side head, rear):
Old 08-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I need to look but is the passenger side cylinder head the exact opposite of the drivers side head? So this part should be on the front of passenger cylinder head. I am also going to send the image you posted to my neighbor who is an Audi mechanic at a local dealer and see if he can assist in identifying this part for us. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue on the forum. I am a newbie to the Audi world and in the learning curve. Anyone know of an Audi Machine shop in the US that have rebuilt these heads?

Last edited by kishoreh; 08-20-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 08-20-2016, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

The plug comes as part of #20 and #21 in 2005 Audi Audi A8/S8 quattro United States market: Engine Camshaft, valves 3.7/4.2ltr. 8-cylinder+ petrol eng.+ BFL,BFM

Last edited by jandreas; 08-20-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Now it makes sense, those are the rocker shafts, and those rocker shafts are oil pressurized to lubricate the rockers, most likely the plug was pushed out over time by oil pressure, that is why you have oil gushing out, you would be better off checking the bore size and getting some brass freeze out plugs and try for a tight fit, or you can spend the $227 - $330 for the shaft only to find out the plug is pressed in I believe, also not to be Captain Obvious, replacing those rocker shafts is a head off job on the driver's side (USA).

Also I am not sure who's picture is posted with the shaft retaining bolt removed, if it is one of the members engine, put that bolt back before you do anything else, if not then you risk the shaft sliding out somewhat and then the last rocker may fall off......

#077109372D: Volkswagen. ROCKER SHAFT.

Attached Thumbnails 4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.-s-l1600kj.jpg   4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.-1229542469.jpg  

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 08-21-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Now it makes sense, those are the rocker shafts, and those rocker shafts are oil pressurized to lubricate the rockers, most likely the plug was pushed out over time by oil pressure, that is why you have oil gushing out, you would be better off checking the bore size and getting some brass freeze out plugs and try for a tight fit, or you can spend the $227 - $330 for the shaft only to find out the plug is pressed in I believe, also not to be Captain Obvious, replacing those rocker shafts is a head off job on the driver's side (USA).

Also I am not sure who's picture is posted with the shaft retaining bolt removed, if it is one of the members engine, put that bolt back before you do anything else, if not then you risk the shaft sliding out somewhat and then the last rocker may fall off......

#077109372D: Volkswagen. ROCKER SHAFT.

Extremely helpful, thank you. Im looking into plugging the hole with a neoprene expansion plug from the hardware store. There isn't much room to swing a mallet back there without taking the head off so a brass plug doesn't seem to be the best bet. Is it feasible to buy a rocker shaft from the dealer and knock the plug out of it and reinstall in the engine lol

Last edited by Yllier; 08-21-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Yllier
Extremely helpful, thank you. Im looking into plugging the hole with a neoprene expansion plug from the hardware store. There isn't much room to swing a mallet back there without taking the head off so a brass plug doesn't seem to be the best bet. Is it feasible to buy a rocker shaft from the dealer and knock the plug out of it and reinstall in the engine lol
Well, you could buy the shaft and pull the plug out as it appears to be threaded for pressing and pulling, BUT then you would have the same problem of pressing it back in just like the brass plug that I suggested, maybe a mini impact nailer would fit back there, 3.5 inches, not sure of the room on the V8 as I went to the W12 four plus years ago and have forgotten, BUT of more importance be sure to get a high pressure neoprene plug, as most I see online are only rated at 25 foot of head, 25 FOH = 10.838 PSI, the working pressure of the V8 is between 40-75 PSI, also I am not sure on the size, 1/4", 3/8" ETC. but here are some 3/8" plugs rated at 185 PSI in the links.
428 FOH/185 PSI rated

Hand Tightening Aluminum Single Test Plugs With By-Pass - Petersen Products Company

https://www.grainger.com/product/5NR...=AZIDPBR_56173

25 FOH/10.838 PSI rated

https://www.grainger.com/product/SHA...xpansion-6VFR1

https://www.grainger.com/product/SHA...xpansion-6VFV3

Attached Thumbnails 4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.-s-l1600kjj.jpg  

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 08-21-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.2 liter 8 cylinder gushing oil out of drivers side of engine.