A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 -05 ABS-error codes 00287 and 00290

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 -05 ABS-error codes 00287 and 00290

I have a really annoying ABS-/EPS-problem with my car.

The whole story started almost a year ago. I was washing the car in a garage on a winther day. Cold cars, warm garage and hot water gave really
moist circumstances. When I put the ignition on, the now so well-known ABS-/EPS-/Parking brake-/Head light range control-symphony sounded for the first time.
I was puzzled, drove home and pulled error code 00287 (more about codes later). The next morning everything was back to normal.

A few weeks later this happened again, snow and above freezing temperatures was the condition this time. Same again, error-symphony went away when the roads - and the car - dried up.
Same error code 00287, possible causes are listed as "Open Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)"
or "ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) faulty".

This time I pulled the wiring from the sensor to see if moist or dirt would be the problem, not so.
And so it went on, with the add on that even left rear wheel woke up, error code 00290, on wet days. Never else.

I could remove the error codes until one day late last summer.
I deleted the error codes, they came back immediately after I closed the module in VCDS!
Now the problem was for real, the error codes having been intermittent previously.

After googling around, I learned that my error codes could also be caused by a faulty electronics unit.
I measured the wiring between the ABS-sensor connector and a point in the trunk. This being the most likely section to be damaged. Both sides looked OK.

Next step was to order new sensors, not from Audi-dealer but by part no from ebay.de. Worthless info is that front right/rear left and front left/rear right have same sensors.
Changed the sensors, removed error codes, closed the ABS-module in VCDS - and the error codes where immediately back!
Put both old and new rear sensor in front, no errors. Put front sensor rear, error. One conclusion should be that sensors are OK.

I found an electronics shop which repairs ABS-modules, sent the module there. (I can now remove and replace the box in less than an hour..).
He said that he found and fixed errors for the rear sensors. Sounded great.
Put the electronics back - same errors..
Since I had my doubts regarding the battery, next step was to replace that one. No fussing, a Warta-battery as previously, same partno.
No difference.
I sent the box back to the electronics guy and when we talked he admitted that most of his experience was from ABS-modules of older version than Bosch 5.7. He also said that
he found some errors which he could not fix. But he did a retry anyhow - to no avail.

OK, there I was. The prime suspect was still the electronics but since it had been opened, no other shops fixing those will go near it.
It was here that I learned that there are very few versions/part no:s that fits into a LWB W12. Found one via ebay.de, in an expectant mood I put it into place.
To no surprise, error codes!
One small difference though, right side reported it as intermittent. A test drive while looking in the measuring blocks showed that all sensors
but rear left reported speed values!
New conclusion, faulty wiring anyway on the left side. Ordered new wiring from Audi dealer. Before installing it, I checked error codes. Rear right back to permanent error code.
Measuring blocks gave no values. And the new wiring didn't help, of course.

Fault in the new electronics? Sent this one to a reputed box-fixer here in Sweden, Innosund. Received it today, no fault found.

One last possibility remains, the brake light switch. It has been mentioned in context with ABS-errors before: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...olved-2773569/
and https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2752542/page1/
I have ordered one of those, partno 1K2945511.

As you understand, any suggestions are VERY welcome.
I found it difficult to believe that the wirings between the trunk and the electronics box are faulty.

My error codes:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4E0-910-517.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 517 C HW: 4E0 614 517 BD
Component: ESP 5.7 allrad H44 0330
Coding: 0007637
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 2341EBBF9915

2 Faults Found:
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Address 13: Auto Dist. Reg Labels: None
Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 561 F HW: 4E0 907 561 F
Component and/or Version: ABSTANDSREGELUNGH03 0020
Software Coding: 0041264
Work Shop Code: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 2545F5A79721
1 Fault Found:

01316 - ABS Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - MIL ON

Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 4E0-910-801.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 801 A HW: 4E0 907 801
Component and/or Version: EPB AV1C1010 H01 1010
Software Coding: 0000631
Work Shop Code: WSC 25200 261 89618
VCID: 1D35DD47BF71
1 Fault Found:

008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default You've covered virtually all I can think of; overlapping C5 and W12 experiences

About the only remaining add would be simply to recheck the connectors at the wheel area, using a Deoxit type contact cleaner. And since you have good speed readings on one side now but not the other--plus you know the sensors are the same on both sides--you could switch the sensors against the small possibility the replacement sensor was faulty. After that and your pedal sensor, you would be pretty much down to the wiring. There obviously I would look at any of the areas like by the wheel where it is subject to movement.

I am familiar with the rebuilt ABS electronics on my 2000 C5 4.2, which was essentially the same as the D2's. I had to have mine done, which fixed the dash light and code problem. I was not aware it was an issue on D3's though at all.

One other tid bit I can tell you. If by chance you ran the self test on ABS in VAG-COM/VCDS, too late but..don't. Ever. Unless they revised the code, out of left field it can blow up the electronics and give you a warning light and codes, at least on a W12. Don't ask me how I know...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-10-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Long and sad story..

..it is.
Regarding the speed readings, I was not that clear about the check I did before replacing left side wiring: the right side sensor did not report any speed in measuring blocks.
A weird change of status since I had done nothing whart so ever on that side.

The replacement sensors has been checked by putting them in the front and vice versa. Every sensor works OK in front, none sensor works in the rear.

The brake light switch will arrive by the end of this week. I have found out a mecanic having a reputation of grand problem solver regarding Audi electronics issues. Next step after the bare light swith is to test his abilities.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The one common part in the system that you seemingly haven't checked or replaced and would account for intermittent electrical errors like this is the electrical connector and wiring loom from the car to the abs module. Sounds like it's gotten wet and is perhaps suffering from corrosion, or another part of that wiring bundle has become damaged somehow. Have you tested/replaced this part of the wiring loom?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Some basic checks; Most ABS sensors are magnetic reluctance. best to disconnect the connector at the ABS ECU and with a wiring diagram from a service manual, Check for resistance. Usually 800-2000 ohms depending on wheel end temperature is good. However, here you can simply compare one of the known good sensors with the suspect one. Then, to verify good gap, set the meter to AC Volts and spin the wheel. You should get at least 500 mV (fancy way of saying 1/2 of a volt.

If not getting this, use standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques.

You can just disconnect the sensor wires from the harness and take your readings there; but this does not verify all wiring to the ECU.

To verify if the toothed wheel is good (and does not have a missing or mushroomed tooth; you'll need and oscilliscope. However, the ECU should indicated a fault code for this type of issue.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 02-11-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks for the input

I have checked all 4 sensors (2 old + 2 new) by putting them in front. No errors. I have also put front sensors rear, error.

I have checked the wiring from the sensor into the trunk by shorting the connector and checking the resistance in the trunk. It was 0 ohm, i.e. wiring between trunk and sensor appears to be OK.

My warning-symphony starts directly when putting the ignition on, not connected to any movement. Should not have dependencies to the ABS-ring in the hub.

The connection in the ABS-module end is cleaned and looks OK. The wiring loom does not have any visible damages, runs rather well protected and is only wisible/youchable for the last 20-30 cms. After the brake light switch I am planning to connect one rear sensor as close as possible to the connector just to rule out the internal wiring.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Rechecking...

Did you ever run the self test in VAG COM? Don't unless you are prepared to blow it up after exhausting everything else... But if you did, I'm suspicious is already now messed up.

Given your sensor diagnostics I'm still suspicious one way or another your basic ABS control module is fried.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Everything you've said/done points to a wiring problem between the ABS module and the rear sensors. Have you confirmed continuity between the module pins and the abs sensor connectors? Also test the loom continuity from pin to pin to expose any wiring insulation issues and consequent signal crosstalk.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Once an ABS ECU detects a sensor gap/erattic wheel speed/mushroomed tooth fault; a good speed signal must be verfied to shut off the indicator lamp. About 4 mph or so.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, I did the self test with my FIRST module. And yes, got that error code also...
Bought another, same errors. Sent away SECOND module for fixing, got it back with a healthy diagnosis.
Still waiting for the brake light switch, after that I will connect a sensor near the module connector.
What puzzels me Iis that I am not able to remove/renew the error code for the parikng brake:
Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 4E0-910-801.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 801 A HW: 4E0 907 801
Component: EPB AV1C1010 H01 1010
Revision: AV1C1010
Coding: 0000631
Shop #: WSC 25200 261 89618
VCID: 1D35DD47BF71

1 Fault Found:
008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 146
Mileage: 188720 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.10.18
Time: 14:16:37

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 11.28 V
Count: 231

Xenon range and Auto dist reg does have same ABS-error code as parking brake, but their error codes can be removed - only to reappear with actual date..

Quick Reply: A8 -05 ABS-error codes 00287 and 00290