A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a8 a8l timing chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Pump the brakes. What trouble codes or symptoms do you have? And what tensioner are you talking about? I know of only the two timing belt tensioners and serpentine tensioner. None would be characterized to a bank.

If you are having issues with one of the timing tensioners, park the car immediately and do not start it again until it is fixed. Have it towed to where the work needs to be done, and do the full timing belt job. At a decent independent shop, there is no way around this costing $1400-1700, most of it labor. Do not try to save money and skip parts. Changing the belt, both tensioners, idler pulley, and water pump is absolutely required in any timing job, unless you have had it done recently already. Also highly recommended is the thermostat, given it only adds 5 minutes to the job and cost $12. If you had to do a thermostat later, it's about 12 hours labor by itself.

I repeat, if this is a timing tensioner issue, DO NOT START THE CAR AGAIN.
hello, I bought the car last week, chk engine light on, car drives fine no issues according to the seller timing belt done 10k miles ago,,, codes were P0020 and P0492, it calls for camshaft tensioner adjuster bank 2 internally open when tested, so the technician said he has to replace the tensioner with the shoes(guides), seems like I found a shop that can do that next week in Manchester CT lets see how they do and price, I will post how it goes, im still thinking if I want to do the other side (because of price amount),,,, as far as the P0492 its the secondary air (idk what it is or how to go about it) it will be looked once its in the shop
Old 05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfredoa8l
yes it does have a belt outside the engine that drives compressor /steering pump etc, but once you remove the valve covers a metal chain is run and has 2 tensioners for the camshafts, 1 in the driver front and 1 on the rear passenger side, that's the one that has to be replaced on mine
Yes, correct. Again, keep in mind there are TWO belts on the front of the motor. There is the "easy" serpentine belt that drives the accessory devices--PS, A/C, alternator, etc. Then there is also the "hard one" that is behind it and under some safety protective covers. That is the toothed cam/timing belt that you have to take off to get the cams out. And the cams need to come out to get at the chain and tensioner that is in between the two cams on each side/head under the valve cover. That timing belt service is a lot more work in turn than the serp. belt.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

hello, I bought the car last week, chk engine light on, car drives fine no issues according to the seller timing belt done 10k miles ago,,, codes were P0020 and P0492, it calls for camshaft tensioner adjuster bank 2 internally open when tested, so the technician said he has to replace the tensioner with the shoes(guides), seems like I found a shop that can do that next week in Manchester CT lets see how they do and price, I will post how it goes, im still thinking if I want to do the other side (because of price amount),,,, as far as the P0492 its the secondary air (idk what it is or how to go about it) it will be looked once its in the shop
If you don't have receipts for it, I'd take off the timing cover on the front of the engine(two pieces, star bit screws hold it on.) Look at the water pump and two tensioners, they should look nearly new if they were done that recently. It's not terribly uncommon for a less informed owner ask the shop to replace just the belt in an effort to save money, not realizing replacing the rest is equally important. It would be good to know for sure.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
If you don't have receipts for it, I'd take off the timing cover on the front of the engine(two pieces, star bit screws hold it on.) Look at the water pump and two tensioners, they should look nearly new if they were done that recently. It's not terribly uncommon for a less informed owner ask the shop to replace just the belt in an effort to save money, not realizing replacing the rest is equally important. It would be good to know for sure.
yes you're right, might as well double check, im dropping the car off Saturday for the major surgery, I will post what they found and what they did plus pricing.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw you said you were getting a secondary air fault, those pumps are a known failure point on numerous Audi and other European models.

If your pump is indeed bad, and it's not a vacuum line, combi-valve, or solenoid fault (they can all throw secondary air codes) the pump is pricey, but very easy to replace on your own.

It's just inboard and forward of the passenger wheel once your take off the belly pan , a few screws, a hose and wire harness connector.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

FWIW, the air pump I recently pulled out of the W12 was made by Pierburg. Thus if you want OES, you can skip Audi dealer and go that route. I saw them on various parts sites as well as Amazon. There are some other yet cheaper ones, but I typically go dealer or OES.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

also there is a pretty good write up (not so much a how-to as a "supplementary guide") on the cam chain tensioner "shoe" removal and replacement.

It's on a different forum, google is your friend "Audi 40v cam chain tensioner"
Old 05-27-2016, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ohsigmachi
I saw you said you were getting a secondary air fault, those pumps are a known failure point on numerous Audi and other European models.

If your pump is indeed bad, and it's not a vacuum line, combi-valve, or solenoid fault (they can all throw secondary air codes) the pump is pricey, but very easy to replace on your own.

It's just inboard and forward of the passenger wheel once your take off the belly pan , a few screws, a hose and wire harness connector.
Hello, all I have its the code P0492 and I have not diagnosed the problem at all, once i take it to the shop tomorrow for the ist issue P0020 and fix it then ill have an answer this Friday for the secondary air fault, thanks for giving some hope on my nightmare for saying its not too hard to replace the pump if that's the issue, i will let you guys know what happens friday
Old 05-27-2016, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

After doing a bit more digging, I wonder if you need the tensioner replaced at all, and if maybe just your tensioner pads (sometimes called shoes) have failed.

Does anybody know if the D3 cam tensioner pads on the 04-05 D3 are the same as the D2 40V? If so, they are probably the same as virtually every other Audi with a cam chain tensioner.

Which would mean they're about $20 bucks for parts.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello, all I have its the code P0492 and I have not diagnosed the problem at all, once i take it to the shop tomorrow for the ist issue P0020 and fix it then ill have an answer this Friday for the secondary air fault, thanks for giving some hope on my nightmare for saying its not too hard to replace the pump if that's the issue, i will let you guys know what happens friday

got the car back from the shop, they took a long time to do the job, the shop passed emission for me witch I thought it was nice, but a day later the check engine light came back on, also the shop said that they did an oil change and they didn't, also they couldn't figure out how to fix the secondary air pump issue,, I was charged $2000.00, I wont go back to them, Coventry motorcar in 2152 boston turnpike coventry ct 06238 ,they seem nice but I don't think they know much about things, they didn't even tell me about suspension links I needed ,,,, really,,,, they lie about doing an oil change,,,,,,, I wont go back there

Last edited by Alfredoa8l; 06-16-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: a8 a8l timing chain tensioner