A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 buying advice

Hi everybody. I am thinking about buying D3 platform car. I do not know much about A8 besides that it is an awesome looking car. What year and what engine model should I get? any major issues with particular year/models with D3? Also what models offered ventilated seats? (living in FL Thanks, Kris
Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Buy any of them. We can't decide what color, options mileage you want. We Do not know your budget, type of tires you need/desire.
We do not know if you are someone who loves to do their own repairs and maintenance who would like a lower cost/higher mileage/fixer-upper etc.

All US models EXCEPT the S8's offered ventilated seats.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info. I just want comfortable and safe ride. I have a 20-25$ budget. I know a good mechanic who is a VW magician and I hope he would figured out how to fix and maintain A8 within reasonable cost. I do not have mechanical knowledge nor time to fix things myself.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kris70
Thanks for the info. I just want comfortable and safe ride. I have a 20-25$ budget. I know a good mechanic who is a VW magician and I hope he would figured out how to fix and maintain A8 within reasonable cost. I do not have mechanical knowledge nor time to fix things myself.
Welcome to the board!

From 2007 A8 has FSI engine (no timing belt, more power, better millage...). I have 2005 but wouldn't recommend any older than 2007. 2008 was a final facelift (larger side mirrors, better sound insulation...). All of them can go 300K milles if not raced . All of them have fairly same problems, fixable for a reasonable price with online parts and help from this forum. You can recognize ones with ventilated seats by a buttons on the central console.

By the way, from a summer in Florida to a winter in Alaska inside your A8 will be exactly the same climate. When would you switch on ventilated seats?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is why I want A8! I guess I am looking for 2007 or 2008 FSI . Any particular service records I should be looking for in cars within 70-100K miles
Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Welcome. Budget, years and better odds with type of seller.

At your budget, you should be able to get into later years of D3. As already noted, 2007 was the 4.2 V8 engine update year and 2008 was the mid model run acelift. By 2007 it got the rear back up camera (helpful with big car and some rear visibility issues), and I think by about 2008 the AMI interface (the iPod and MP3 hook up) was standard--it came out in 2007. The D3 was made through 2010, though S8s or W12's only through 2009. A few late goodies made it into last ones--as options--like lane change assist .

For these later year cars, owner turn over may be just once or maybe twice, instead of several times over with many of the early year ones. It is reasonable to expect service records as such with a first or even second owner. Try to buy either from a direct owner, or if you are willing to pay up, a CPO (w/ good warranty) from Audi dealer. Latter may be too much money though, and would only be found now for later year ones w/ low or reasonable miles. If you buy from a used car lot or other non-Audi dealer, your ability to know real history is limited. CarFax type stuff is of limited usefulness to really know the history on a more complicated car with lots of features--on a good day frankly. A private owner is typically much more forthcoming about history--and if not, move to next one. Lots around and more a buyer's market than seller's, at least for 4.2's or most used mid and large sized Audis in general. If you buy from other than Audi dealer with a CPO warranty, consider leaving a "reserve" allocated from your budget of at least 10-20% to cover unexpected issues you discover early, even assuming it has good brakes, tires and other things easily inspectable.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-14-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have a 2010 A8L with 93km about (56mi) purchased in May of this year. Have put 10km (6mi) on it since with no issues to date. I paid about 33,500 CAD for it from a Nissan dealer trade (2nd owner) I am the third. Little known fact: last day of the month is best dealer purchased shopping day as they want their numbers up. Go in around closing. Mine was on for 38,000 and got them down 4,500 to 33,500. Took two and a half hours and repeat visits from the general manager (I was dealing with the sales manager) and the salesperson, his girlfriend, the finance girl, sales manager, general manager and my wife were all present (and waiting!). For sure a little pressure, but I could have walked away at any time, nothing ventured (or gained but...) My model sold in Jan. 2010 for 120,000 so a substantial bargain. As the exchange rate on cars in Canada is over 10% and because the U.S. market is 10X bigger I could see you scoring a great 2010 A8 in your upper price range. Hope this helps and welcome to the club I hope!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks a lot for all the info!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default How I searched for my 2006 A8L 4.2

Take your time, find the right one with all the options you like to have, the color may change when you found the right car. I wanted a white, black or dark blue with amaretto interior, but I ended up with gray and black interior and I'm happy I got the color combinations, can't see dirt and it looks beautiful day or night without washing daily or weekly or monthly. The important thing is to get the good one, normal from a good owner.

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/looking-for-the-best-used-a8-d3.html"> How I found my 2006 D3</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have owned only silver or grey cars for the very same reason. I hardly ever wash my cars daily or weekly or monthly and they still look good!!! I still take a shower myself every week wether I need it or not

Quick Reply: A8 buying advice