A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D2 vs A8 D3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 D2 vs A8 D3?

Given a choice, D2 vs D3, obviously D3 costing a bit more, is there enough worth in buying a D3 vs a D2? What does a D3 bring to the table that a D2 doesn't have or can't have? 6 speed auto and the fresh body style, but I do like the looks of the D2.

I have been looking at the D2's lately, but wonder if I was to spend a little more, there are some D3's that warrant some consideration.

My concerns are of course, reliability, I will drive it daily around 90 miles round trip. I spend a lot of time in the car and want to enjoy my drive as well as enjoy the snow I deal with yearly. I don't get any interstates to commute on now, just secondary backroads. So an A8 fits the bill well for me.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry that your new, but scan the forums on this subject there is quite a few. Besides a drastically different exterior and interior as well as a MMI and actual display screen the differences are immense. Add on a transmission that isn't guaranteed to break and I don't know why you would still go with a D2. The money you would put into a D2 to get it in good working condition will not be nearly enough to outweigh the pleasure you will get with a D3.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had a D2 just a few months ago that was troublesome. However it was very high-mileage and I bought it for a song ($7k) just to try out in the interim. In a sense I'm glad, because I wouldn't be in the D3 now.

I am somewhat obsessed with this D3 as much as my '00 S4. If I were to go back to a D2, I would most likely get an '03 S8, albeit they are rare. I've found the D2 forum on Quattroworld is 'busier' than here, and the D3 forum on Audiworld is better.

If you are looking for a D2 S8, Bruce M can find one for you. He's well-known on the forums as an auto-broker or sorts who gets a lot of Audi auction vehicles likes allroads and S8s. He can find any car, but he can really help with the rarer vehicles.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks much, I will dig around, most search engines won't search 2 letter terms like D2 and D3, so I got no where, I did try searching first. Is there a better way to search?

So the 6 speed is a pretty reliable trans? I found a nice 04 D3 for $12500, and not too far. I was pondering ext warranty with a D2, but that is over $100 a month for that alone (5yr/100k over what is on the clock now). Probably worth it, trans will probably go in that amount of time. But I would rather have one that is far more reliable to start with.

That is MMI?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by EyesofThunder
Thanks much, I will dig around, most search engines won't search 2 letter terms like D2 and D3, so I got no where, I did try searching first. Is there a better way to search?
Search directly in AudiWorld and Quattroworld. You can search just the D2 and D3 forums that way rather than using Google or similar.

So the 6 speed is a pretty reliable trans?
I had no issues with D2 transmission. My D2 had a bad valve causing compression loss in cylinder 6. Somewhat rare for the 4.2L, but again, I bought it VERY used with 175kmi on the odometer. Read through the D2 forums and you'll find the transmission threads. Here's a great website for D2 stuff including a Used D2 A8 Buyer's Checklist.
http://www.audipages.com/

I found a nice 04 D3 for $12500, and not too far. I was pondering ext warranty with a D2, but that is over $100 a month for that alone (5yr/100k over what is on the clock now). Probably worth it, trans will probably go in that amount of time. But I would rather have one that is far more reliable to start with.
Sounds like a scary low price. Mileage? Features? Carfax? Else?
2004 was the first model year for the D3. That makes some folks wary of 1st year bugs. 2004 will have the unusable Onstar instead of Bluetooth. Late 2005 models (like mine) have Bluetooth. *Edited addition: 2006-2010 have the facelift front end with the 'fishmouth grille'. 2007-2010 and later have the 4.2L FSI engine with timing chain. 2011 is the D4.)

What is MMI?

MMI is the "Multi-Media Interface". It allows you to access not only all the Radio, CD, Telephone, and Nav functions, but also vehicle settings like suspension height/dynamics, parktronic, interior/exterior lighting, TPMS, battery level, etc etc.

Plus you get a nice 7" color screen for display of all those functions:

Last edited by AudiOx; 08-29-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do I find Bruce M? I can't PM him or seem to find him in the member search.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found him, he got banned somehow.

http://search.audiworld.com/member.php?u=50722
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I found him, he got banned somehow.

http://search.audiworld.com/member.php?u=50722
Look on quattroworld for User: Bruce M.
He goes to the big Mannheim car auctions up in PA, but can find vehicles anywhere.

TozoM8 and PaulW on the D2 forum are a wealth of info on maintenence and such.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default in addition....

Hi there!
In addition what you read already you should know following. Audi A8 starting from 2007 has 4.2 FSI engine (still D3 body). 4.2 FSI does not have timing belt and instead a chain. Apparently the chain supposes to be good for the lifetime of the engine. In practice it should run good for 300,000 km or about 186,000 miles. If you compare with NOT FSI engine you will have to replace timing belt much more often and it is expensive procedure. You should consider that.
From another hand FSI is relatively new technology and some people saying it does not bring much benefits but additional problems.
So fare my A8 is running well, but I do not have a high mileage on it. I hope it helps! Good luck!

Victor
Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The FSI engines for sure are out of my price range. Would love it, but can't do that yet.... Soon I hope!

The chains will stretch over time, but rarely ever break. But cam timing will change over time. Proper placement of timing chain tensioners will minimize it, but it still happens. Belts are dead on accurate all along till they break, and when that happens, owch.... Trade offs for sure, I would gladly take a chain.... Oh, chains can be noisier, but with modern engineering practices if they can make a diesel quiet, a timing chain noise is nothing...

Trying to figure out what is best $ to put into a D2, or to put into a D3, if I go D3, would have to be a lower cost one, and as said, that could be someone elses problems or not taken care of. Where a D2 I can probably find a nice one, but all the ones I am finding are from hole in the wall used car dealers, so their history is an auction and dubious what it could be....

I am just unsure which way to go on it.

Quick Reply: A8 D2 vs A8 D3?