A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 or S8, besides the obvious?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Thanks, you got to drive her before me. You would really like the added JL Audio sub with the B&O.
Yes and I love those spacers on your wheels, truly classy!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

All depends what motivates you. The S8 is a generally loaded and refined car even for the Audi A8/S8 line (save for power rear seats and a few other items). All of these automobiles ride smoothly, including the S8 in comfort or automatic mode. It is nice to have the aesthetics, the great sounding engine, the extra power, and de-luxified interior, but even more so, the special feeling of driving an exclusive motorcar or super sedan (akin to Benz S-class AMGs, for example) that commends the S8. The black leather (especially the extended leather versions) and carbon fiber outfitting found on many S8s remains one of the most classic and beautiful interiors in any car, to date.

As with my 911, I get a huge grin when I look at the S8, let alone get behind the wheel. That it also rides more or less like a limousine and seems to have an endless spool of power completes the picture. The W12 likely would, in its own distinct way, evoke similar feelings and passions. The again, all of these cars are special in light of the solid power plants, quattro system, and the space frame and body construction. Thus, if you would not get that "big kid" feeling from the S8, then the A8s --in whatever guise -- make more sense.

The D4s are a solid option, as well -- I just do not care for the exteriors (at least up until the latest restyling) as much as those of the the D3s. The supposed pictures of the D5 make it seem like more of a spiritual successor to the D3 than the D4.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input Howaboutthat.
Yes the exclusivity is nice, and is part of the reason I like it so much.
I have been reading the D4 A8s have some coolant valves that pressurized the wire harness and short the ECU. Apparently Audi has updated valves which are relatively inexpensive and easily accessible from under the car which takes care of this problem, assuming you catch it before any coolant mitigation occurs or are proactive ahead of time about it.

Glad to hear that both are still a solid vehicle (no car is perfect, they all have their own common to model specific issues).

It just comes down to money, and what do we want to own for the next 8 years or so. The D5 looks phenomenal, and would probably replace the current D3/D4 in ~ 8 years time or so, maybe pick up a CPO eventually.

The 4.2 FSI engine is essentially the same between the D3 and D4 yes? The D4 jsut got an 8 speed transmission, and apparently faulty coolant valves-one is for heater core, and other two for the transmission cooler?

The D3 S8 is a legend on its own. yes. Will I notice the fuel mileage difference on long road trips between the v10 d3 and v8 d4 cruising at 80 mph?

The car will be used for daily driving duties (rotated between a few different cars), so It will not get beat on everyday persay-but it needs to be reliable without a doubt. This would be the go to car if our soon to be children have a medical emergency in the middle of a winter night. That being said-I am very diligant regarding pro active maintenance on our fleet of vehicles.

so then again comes price.
high teens for the D3 A8-plus a few grand for 20" wheels and maybe an S8 front end
mid 20s for a D3 S8 (and hard to find!)
mid to high 20s for a D4 A8 (of which they are plentiful, and the interiors are just wonderful).

decisions decisions!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You will definitely see a difference in MPG.

S8 D3 MPG: 13 city / 19 highway

A8 D4 MPG: 17 city / 27 highway

My suggestion would be to go drive them if you have the ability. You might not find the cars you are looking for near by but you can probably find some you can test drive. Maybe even at the same dealership.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

how bout the D3 A8 mileage?

that highway mileage will really start to show its difference on those 5000 mile cross country runs we do 1-2 times a year. The difference may add up over the years...

Sound advice, driving both to really see and feel in person how they are. I know there is an S8 a couple hours from me, they probably have a D4 A8 too..
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
how bout the D3 A8 mileage?

that highway mileage will really start to show its difference on those 5000 mile cross country runs we do 1-2 times a year. The difference may add up over the years...

Sound advice, driving both to really see and feel in person how they are. I know there is an S8 a couple hours from me, they probably have a D4 A8 too..
I just drove 670 miles in a 2005 A8L and got 24.5mpg, as calculated from full tank to full tank. It was not an economy run, running 75mph the whole way.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^that is fantastic. Really cant ask or yearn for more.
PS how big is the tank on these?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
^that is fantastic. Really cant ask or yearn for more.
PS how big is the tank on these?
23 gallon tank, IIRC.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it's 23.8 gallons and I usually average around 24.5 mpg also on 250 mile stretches between Bakersfield and San Diego, at around 80 mph
Old 05-17-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Junius, is this in a D3 or D4 A8?

Quick Reply: A8 or S8, besides the obvious?