A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 wont start everything is dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 wont start everything is dead

I noticed when I ran my diagnostics tool and looked at the 61 - Battery Reg module and noticed my battery part number and serial number was not the same as what was really in the car. I have a Exide battery and another brand was coded with different part number and serial numbers. So I coded the correct part number and serial number from my exide battery. Drove around for about a half hour and everything was fine. Got up this morning and everything was dead. I thought I followed intructions correctly. Any ideas. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Doubt it's related to coding, but

I doubt it is related strictly to coding, but the logical thing to do is back that out. Exide is not on the coding choice list IIRC. So I would just put it back to the Varta or whatever it was before, and add 1 to the very last digit of the prior battery number. That is SOP if you don't buy the dealer battery.

Of course obviously also fully charge it and then see how it goes.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How old is that battery. Also scan it to see if there is some power draw. As MP said, I think it has nothing to do with coding.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A couple more questions

Ok got the thing started, did not have to change the code back. According to the MMI 100% charged. I have two questions though if someone can help me out. First, When I press the "Car" function I no longer have Air Suspension just goes straight options where I am missing a couple, I think Acoustic ......... not sure. it was there before and working correctly. How do I get these back. Secondly, after the battery was charge. I just turned on the ignition did not start the car and ran a scan then erased codes it probable took about 10 mins. Notice the battery was down to 10%, Is this a sign I need a battery? Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers:

On air suspension, if what you are saying some of the choices are grayed out (Comfort, Dynamic, Lift, etc.), the system only has limited air reserve in my experience when motor is off. After you start it, compressor comes on and then the grayed out choices typically reappear. If your car is also dropping at rest, a pretty strong sign of a leak. If not dropping but just grayed out at first after car sits for some time, typically normal, at least on mine.

On battery, rapid dropping is a sign of bad battery. When I run VCDS, I typically turn off obvious stuff like HVAC and lower MMI screen (a big power suck by itself). If I run it longer I often turn off DRL's and even O/H light. But 10 min. is short even w/ everything on. I can go 30-45 minutes with nothing like an indicated drop to 10% with a good battery.

Also be sure you are charging it via the hex shaped ground post above the battery on the negative side. If you connect the negative directly to the battery terminal, the power mngt system doesn't have the right info on state of battery charge. Meantime, you haven't said age of battery. If it is more than 4 years old (3+ being marginal) and you have experienced charging issues, I would assume it is gone and just replace. My rule of thumb is second letdown that I can't explain by leaving lights on or something, and I pull the plug and get a new one. I may have some other symptoms in parallel like you are seeing too--rapid discharge showing up in MMI type display if a newer Audi, starting sounding slower than normal, etc. Slightly aggressive change out minimizes getting stranded, smaller trouble getting bad in much colder weather, and weird car electrical issues.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-27-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default More information

Sorry I was not more specific on the Air Suspension, nothing for Air Suspension is showing up not even any of the choices(Lift, Dynamic, Standard etc...). When you select the "Car" button, instead of the selections for the air suspension displaying it goes to a list of options with "Battery......" as the first selection. Also, I might have misunderstood your point about the suspension letting the air out. but since I have had this car,(three months) everytime I lock the car with the remote, "Lets the air out", so do I have a leak? I hope not expensive. Yea it sounds like I might need a battery. How critical is it to code the new battery? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
Sorry I was not more specific on the Air Suspension, nothing for Air Suspension is showing up not even any of the choices(Lift, Dynamic, Standard etc...). When you select the "Car" button, instead of the selections for the air suspension displaying it goes to a list of options with "Battery......" as the first selection. Also, I might have misunderstood your point about the suspension letting the air out. but since I have had this car,(three months) everytime I lock the car with the remote, "Lets the air out", so do I have a leak? I hope not expensive. Yea it sounds like I might need a battery. How critical is it to code the new battery? Thanks again for all the help.
Letting some air out when you lock the car is normal behavior. When you get out the car it goes a bit up, so it lets some air out to level itself.

Car menu wise, it looks like your setting doesn't recognize air suspension. Perform VCDS scan and check if there are some codes for that. Also go to Gateway > Installed List and check if the air suspension is checked.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Anyone know the steps to code my Air Suspension

so it displays on the MMI, it is in the Gateway installed list. I know I am missing a couple more options from the "Car" list I just need to get the manual and look and see which ones. Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Search for the Der Kimbo original thread. Or, Ross-Tech?

Der Kimbo is the one who figured out how to lower/code it, so I would go back to the source instead of later Internet interpretations. If that is, you mean how to code it for final ride height. There may also be info on the Ross-Tech site or in their Wiki IIRC.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello MP,

I believe his question is how to get air suspension menu back on the MMI screen, I believe when he pushes the car button all he sees is what's in the "CAR SYSTEMS MENU", like battery, tire pressure, seat config, etc. etc.
It is not showing the car with "lift, comfort, automatic, or dynamic.

I know I have seen this before.......

Johnny J J

Quick Reply: A8 wont start everything is dead