A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) Calibration

I have searched and read everything I can find on this topic. The only informative article I found required VCDS 908.1 to do the calibration. Does anyone else have any input on this? I know I can take it to the dealer and have it done for around $400 but I like the challenge of doing things myself.

Also does anyone know how to get the screen below to show up on my DIS?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/zzVibZtt5Ss/maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

You use the windshield wiper stalk to have that screen come up when the ACC is on, you just toggle through a few screens.

Why do you need the system calibrated? Is there something wrong with it?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

FWIW, I've never seen detailed instructions for it beyond reference to shop equipment and procedures references.

Proceed at your own risk, but FWIW my wife had it on the Toyota Sienna and regularly "parked by Braille." I had to straighten it out when it was mis tracking after the retaining bracket got bent up. They didn't have any adjustment screws, so I basically did it by eye and with a simple small bubble level. After a slight fine tune a second time, it tracked fine. In your case, if it is completely off by a lane it sounds like you just need to pull it to the right. You could just pull the trim panel and look for the adjustment screws. Same basic principle as a headlight--left right, up down. The most precise tracking by the way seems to be on highway curves on a multilane. It needs to accurately read another car (or...truck on mountain scenarios going very slowly) farther ahead in the curve, coupled with the steering angle sensor and the known vehicle speed from the electronics. From experience, mine accurately reads that scenario in any pretty constant radius curve at a range of highway speeds. Better than the Toyota (aka Lexus system) ever did, even when it was new. Where it does get faked out is where the curve radius changes mid curve, and for understandable reasons. Usually the big semi scenario up a steep grade with mountain curves. The W12 is hardly working up a sweat while the semis are struggling; thus it panics if it sees like a 40-50 MPH speed differential and thinks the other vehicle is in your lane. If I use it (mostly to test in that scenario), I know to have my foot guarding the gas pedal to override the fast panic and heavy brake and cut throttle response the system does if it senses a bad scenario. Net, if you dial it in right, it should pass the constant radius multilane curve situation too, not just straight line. And that separates the Audi D3 from the similar era Toyota/Lexus design wise BTW. That means getting the height correct, as well as the left-right.

Paul for reference, in another thread he mentioned it was mis tracking to the lane to the side instead of straight ahead. For OP, a likely sign to me it has taken a prior hit and/or had bumper work done.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-10-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

License plate tub is new so I'm guessing that it had a minor front impact. I've visually inspected and it appears straight. I'll try and mess with it this weekend. I just don't want to end up with no cruise control again. That sucks. Not to bad in town but we routinely travel a couple hundred miles(nearest Walmart etc. is 100 miles) and cruise is worth it's weight in gold on longer trips. Most likely I'll have it aligned at the Audi dealer in Spokane but I want to do the control arms and put new shoes on first. Plus Spokane is a 3 hour drive and i'd like working cruise on the way there when I go.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
License plate tub is new so I'm guessing that it had a minor front impact. I've visually inspected and it appears straight. I'll try and mess with it this weekend. I just don't want to end up with no cruise control again. That sucks. Not to bad in town but we routinely travel a couple hundred miles(nearest Walmart etc. is 100 miles) and cruise is worth it's weight in gold on longer trips. Most likely I'll have it aligned at the Audi dealer in Spokane but I want to do the control arms and put new shoes on first. Plus Spokane is a 3 hour drive and i'd like working cruise on the way there when I go.
Audi likes to say you are supposed to align the ACC when you align the suspension, but FWIW I think that is mostly baloney. Never touched mine, even w/ suspension alignments a few times. But, yes if you need to do control arms and are getting tires anyway, then it makes sense separately. Unless the car is driving down the road where the front axle is crabbed over compared to the rear--as in, really screwed up--ACC alignment should naturally stay in tune with basic body position. All comes back to was everything right to start with, and is it currently in similar decent shape.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I adjusted it some this weekend. Probably not the best adjustment in the world. I drove and paid attention to when and where it would see the car in front of me then pull over and give it a turn with the allen wrench. It sees cars in my lane and out to quite a distance now. I still think it's looking a little high as it seems to see trucks and other taller vehicles before it sees cars.

Does anyone know where to look in VCDS to check the steering angle?

Duke
Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I have an appointment with Audi of Spokane on Saturday for an alignment and ACC calibration. Not my favorite way to spend $400 but after installing the new upper control arms it needs the alignment. New tires are next after that.