A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

access to module for MMI power

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default access to module for MMI power

My MMI is still working but I can see that the gears don't have a long life left.I plan to disable the power to the MMI so it stays open.I found this schematic of the pillar cover but it seems to me that it is for the left side(driver's side).If not I do not understand where this cover is.
Do you pull up on it or use a trim tool?Instructions say unclip.
Attached Thumbnails access to module for MMI power-access-power-wire-mmi.jpg  
Old 12-03-2016, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello John,
You can go about this two ways, one like the way I did it two days ago when my gears jammed, or as DVS DAVE has done, if you go by the route I did while I wait for the gears to come in, follow the video and you will see at 5:43 the plug to uncouple, the one he ties the string to, BUT note, if you are only unplugging and not removing the MMI screen for repair then there is no need to remove all of the passenger side ducts and trim as shown prior to the 5 minute 43 second mark, JUST BE SURE that the credit card holder is closed as you gently pry off the brushed aluminum trim, again, there is no need to completely remove the brushed trim, just the area next to the instrument cluster needs to come loose to access the torx screws.

Dave's way https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2896700/page2/
Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is left side, but the right side is just symmetrical. You unclip the door seal by pooling it up.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a few more questions.
Do I still have to remove all the other stuff from the drivers side as per video?
Once you get to the torx screws what is the next step?
I'm afraid that I will wreck the trim.I do like the idea of not cutting wires though.

Last edited by johnd64; 12-04-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't have to do all that just change the adaptation settings and it will stay open or stay close, the J520 use voltage to open and close the display.... change both the the same voltage and the screen will either stay open or close... my gears also acting up to its mainly because I dismantled the screen when I was putting the touch panel and didn't put it back right... that i'll fix this week... I don't recall the exact channel to make changes but I'll check it in the week if you didn't already disconnect it.... but its in 4E - Electronic central
electrics 2, The statuses of the limit switches are displayed in the measured value blocks. The holding time and voltage level can be set in adaption mode.

if your screen is stuck close there's an emergency release clutch in the right ac vent just push it and pull the screen up then release the clutch....
Old 12-04-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

You mean I can do all that through software?
I didn't have the time to do anything to it.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this last week https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2896700/page2/
I followed dvsdave's instructions and it took me less than an hour to do. The switch cost less than $5 at a local auto parts store. Audi should have installed a switch to keep screen open. I found it annoying every time the screen popped up when backing up or when my phone rang without the Mmi on. I never knew that you can just change settings through VCDS. That might be easier.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ROSS TECH

Yes, I believe MR. Lewis is correct, BUT as you did not buy the Ross-Tech cable, and you went with the vag 505, I thought that you would not be able to get into adaption modes of modules or the hidden green menu.

I am now thinking about replacing the gears or not, but my main concern is the screen sitting parked in the sun on hot summer days, just like if one were to leave their cell phone park in the car in the sun... Not good.

EDIT: I just ordered the gear set from Budapest, they are plastic and the seller explains that in the past they made the metal gears, but those metal gears then wore out other plastic gears in the mechanism, he has sold 317 sets of the plastic, so I will see what I get for $60.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161035186621?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mini hijack

One thing I am going to try just for the fun of it is to change to speed setting for the RVC, this way when I have people in the back and the shades up I can just push the "P" button and have RVC at any speed, has anyone done this ?

Originally Posted by johnd64
You mean I can do all that through software?
I didn't have the time to do anything to it.

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 12-04-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did buy the VAG505 but I also have access to a VCDS for $20.
What is RVC?
Do you happen to have a picture of the connector and the cable you cut?
I don't think I will put a switch in there.I might fix it one day.I plan to cut the wires(unless it can be done in software)or pull them out of the connector.I have not seen it
so I can't tell but you know since you did it.I would use heat shrink tubing to make it safe.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hello John,
The first part of your question I can answer, RVC = Rear View Camera, the next I can not as I did not cut any wires, I unplugged the connector behind the driver's lower dash panel, it really quite simple, as shown in the video.