A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age of Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Age of Battery?

Is there a date code or any way to tell how old an OEM battery is?

I've had a couple of MMI resets. The battery voltage is ~ 12.25 volts (Fluke meter), never shows higher than 7 bars, 70% charge even after hours of driving or a full recharge on the Bosch smart charger.

The day I had the resets oddly the battery indicator was at its highest level, but then dropped back to the usual 7 bars.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like your battery is due for replacement. You are measuring 12.25V. It should be more than 13V when not under any load. If it cannot hold a 100% charge, it is due for replacement.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

You can use your VCDS cable to check for activation status of the BEM. That'sa sign the battery is gone.

Date code should appear somewhere on the battery. Sometimes embossed into the plastic of the battery or embossed on one of the battery posts.

A weak battery can be dangerous ($$$).
Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If it is the battery that came with the car (you said OEM battery). Look at the date of manufacture of the vehicle on the A or B pillar ID label. The battery is about 2 months older than that date.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If he's got an '04, I don't think he could possibly be running the original battery. Heck, he could have replaced it once in that time and still have the second one go out naturally. That car is around 12 years old.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is correct '04, with original tires, battery and gas. Just kiddin' ...old collector's joke.

Seriously tho, I have a full Audi Dealer trade-in prep record in 2011, they did the brakes, serp belt, 100 point inspection, pulled the cam belt covers off but did not do the t-belt, but priced it for sales dept. I think at this stage they jettisoned (wholesaled) the car to one of the local dealers.

2nd owner picked the car up. His records show no battery change out. So we are probably dealing with 1st battery 2004-2009 then 2nd for 2010-2015. It's a Varta battery that is in there now.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd replace the battery for the peace of mind alone at this point.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes that is what I am going to do. No sense in being stranded. I also travel a 1.5 hour ferry and like to listen to audio, so don't want to risk killing a battery.

Also not good for fuel efficiency = alternator torque loading on the engine can sap fuel.

There was this guy in our swim club who was boosting his family van all over the place (canadian style). I said "dude what you are saving in not replacing that battery you are blowing in fuel consumption, cause your alternator is flogging a dead horse!"
Old 11-16-2015, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
Yes that is what I am going to do. No sense in being stranded. I also travel a 1.5 hour ferry and like to listen to audio, so don't want to risk killing a battery.

Also not good for fuel efficiency = alternator torque loading on the engine can sap fuel.

There was this guy in our swim club who was boosting his family van all over the place (canadian style). I said "dude what you are saving in not replacing that battery you are blowing in fuel consumption, cause your alternator is flogging a dead horse!"
1.5 hour of sound system daily is not good for any battery (engine not running).

I wouldn't be so worried about alternator and fuel consumption. It is about 1 HP at full charging. Less than AC. I would be worried about alternator itself working full throttle all the time.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dropped below zero today and battery is weak!! I got a low Battery warning after kids limo service to school.

However I called Audi and have a new battery set aside (headed south to Victoria tomorrow). Audi dealerships out here are using INTERSTATE batteries, & a pretty good deal too.

My car has a VARTA battery. AFAIK there is no dealer or supplier in Canada for VARTA. The only way that this battery could have arrived is in the car. Therefore it must be original!!

I should have VCDS in here two days.

Quick Reply: Age of Battery?