A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tried substituting H9 bulbs in foglights ?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default tried substituting H9 bulbs in foglights ?

I read that the H9 bulb base will fit in an H11 socket. The H9 has almost double the lumens output of the H11 but draws only 65W (as compared to the H11 55W). Seems like a good thing to do...anyone know a reason not to swap?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a direct swap - base is similar but not identical but the connector is different. It may be possible to modify the plug on the bulb though to fit without altering the cars wiring.

I am not sure why you would want brighter fog lamps though - the brighter they are, generally they will be worse in thick fog and there is no other time or reason for using them.
If you drive with them on when it is not foggy, they simply annoy other drivers and give the impression there is a teenager behind the wheel.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

I wear bi-focal contacts, and It causes one hell of a "starburst" in my vision because of the contacts. The people who drive around with them on just to say "look-my car has foglights" really annoy me.

Ken
Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default here's my logic on the matter...

Originally Posted by Edd W
Not a direct swap - base is similar but not identical but the connector is different. It may be possible to modify the plug on the bulb though to fit without altering the cars wiring.

I am not sure why you would want brighter fog lamps though - the brighter they are, generally they will be worse in thick fog and there is no other time or reason for using them.
If you drive with them on when it is not foggy, they simply annoy other drivers and give the impression there is a teenager behind the wheel.
Our A8's ability to turn on the fog lights independently of the main beams is a great idea. When in thick fog (or blizzard conditions) at night having main beams on makes vision impossible and nullifies the effect of the foglights. But if you ever try to drive with just the foglights on in those conditions you will find that although the foglights are in the best location to illuminate the road way the lumens output of the H11 bulbs is totally inadequate to provide vision. I don't drive with my foglights on under normal circumstances.

I am going to try a set of yellow H9s. Since they are normally used as a lowbeam bulb their output (even with the reduction caused by the yellow filtration) should provide enough light to see the road. And I should think that Audi has enough of a cushion in the currrent handling hardware to handle the extra 20% wattage. I'll post results.

I am going to try the
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I ssupect the power supply will be adequate for the extra wattage involved.
The main reason the fog lights do not provide adequate light for driving by themselves is due to lens design rather than the output from the H11's. Within a reasonable tollerance, the light output from a standard 55w halogen bulb will be same so an H1 for instance, can provide plenty of light in a standard parabolic reflector, for high beam night driving. I am not sure how much extra light you will actually benefit from but it will be interesting to find out how it goes. At least it is a very cheap mod.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awdinut
I read that the H9 bulb base will fit in an H11 socket. The H9 has almost double the lumens output of the H11 but draws only 65W (as compared to the H11 55W). Seems like a good thing to do...anyone know a reason not to swap?
I tried this with Osram Super Ralley (65w) and had to return them because Base was not compatible. I was Very Disapointed only because the Parts Department gave me the Wrong Bulb Style. I understand that you are trying to get more Output, but the only way to do that with out Hacking Up an A8's wiring is to go HID. Your Output will be higher and Truer in Color. You can Plug and Play without Changing anything and you can use a 35w or 55 Setup with a Very Slim Ballast either Zip Tied or Velcroded. I would suggest 3000K which is Pure Yellow and DDMTuning has Lifetime Waranty. Here is the Link to the Thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24054894#post24054894

Good luck in your Venture! Laters,

"Edit" I tried the H7 Osram Bulb, so I have no Idea on the H9 to H11 Compatability! Disregard!

Last edited by williebone; 03-01-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 1300 lumens for H11 bulb, 2100 lumens for H9 bulb

Originally Posted by Edd W
I ssupect the power supply will be adequate for the extra wattage involved.
The main reason the fog lights do not provide adequate light for driving by themselves is due to lens design rather than the output from the H11's. Within a reasonable tollerance, the light output from a standard 55w halogen bulb will be same so an H1 for instance, can provide plenty of light in a standard parabolic reflector, for high beam night driving. I am not sure how much extra light you will actually benefit from but it will be interesting to find out how it goes. At least it is a very cheap mod.
That should be enough extra lumens to notice a difference. Of course a fog light can never illuminate what's ahead in the same way a head light does due to it's low position and sharp cut-off to the beam. But this H9 set up might prove more effective than the standard bulb, even within the inherrent limitations of a fog light. It will take a week or so for the bulbs to arrive.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you have the H7 socket Osram makes a bulb that ...

Originally Posted by williebone
I tried this with Osram Super Ralley (65w) and had to return them because Base was not compatible. I was Very Disapointed only because the Parts Department gave me the Wrong Bulb Style. I understand that you are trying to get more Output, but the only way to do that with out Hacking Up an A8's wiring is to go HID. Your Output will be higher and Truer in Color. You can Plug and Play without Changing anything and you can use a 35w or 55 Setup with a Very Slim Ballast either Zip Tied or Velcroded. I would suggest 3000K which is Pure Yellow and DDMTuning has Lifetime Waranty. Here is the Link to the Thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24054894#post24054894

Good luck in your Venture! Laters,

"Edit" I tried the H7 Osram Bulb, so I have no Idea on the H9 to H11 Compatability! Disregard!
has an H9 burner on an H7 base. You get the 2100 lumens H9 output.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awdinut
has an H9 burner on an H7 base. You get the 2100 lumens H9 output.
The '04-'05 A8 has the H11 Base, so I took the HID route and 5000k is White which is a good match to the Factory 4300K Headlamps. I have a set of 6000K, but may send them back for the a set of 4300K just to add a Hint of Yellow. Overall the HID compared to the OEM Halogens Fogs are Day and Night in difference. I'm very curious as to the Outcome of your Experiment so let us know how it turns out and send some pics. Take care and laters,
Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That is quite a difference, more than I would have thought, so it would appear it is worth a try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tried substituting H9 bulbs in foglights ?