A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air box question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air box question

Hey im new to the audi world lol. Im trying to connect my air filter box to the bumper tube so it can get fresh air instead of engins bay heat. There is a little black adapter that is missing on my A8. Does anyone know what this piece would be called??
Old 07-24-2016, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Engine Air Intake Hose. Intake hose.

Part Number: 4E0129627H
Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES382361/

I just bought one a few months ago to install after finding my original one to be torn. The new ones aren't any less of a PITA to install.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Replaced mine a year ago

Originally Posted by Bobby Mckee
Hey im new to the audi world lol. Im trying to connect my air filter box to the bumper tube so it can get fresh air instead of engins bay heat. There is a little black adapter that is missing on my A8. Does anyone know what this piece would be called??
On my 2005 the air box has to be pulled to change the oil filter.
The original was deformed and was a 30 minute job to reinstall. Usually it was shifted and not sealing again at the next oil change.
Finally purchased a new one and was a little fiddley getting it installed correctly the first time.
After a few heat soaks it set in the proper shape and reinstalling is a 3 minute job. Sure beats fighting the old one.
Just verify a new one is installed properly the first time. If not after many heat cycles it may set in the wrong shape.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
On my 2005 the air box has to be pulled to change the oil filter.
The original was deformed and was a 30 minute job to reinstall. Usually it was shifted and not sealing again at the next oil change.
Finally purchased a new one and was a little fiddley getting it installed correctly the first time.
After a few heat soaks it set in the proper shape and reinstalling is a 3 minute job. Sure beats fighting the old one.
Just verify a new one is installed properly the first time. If not after many heat cycles it may set in the wrong shape.
Good advice. My new one didn't seat correctly, so I found that when I had to reinstall it, it wouldn't sit correctly. It still doesn't all the way on the right side.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Get some spray silicone from the local Ace Hardware. It will generally slide right on. If not, then it might need just a little persuasion.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW this issue always remained on my A8 for over 150k miles. Not a worry if it doesn't seat fully or perfect.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another try

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
Good advice. My new one didn't seat correctly, so I found that when I had to reinstall it, it wouldn't sit correctly. It still doesn't all the way on the right side.
I was told the hose can be boiled and reset. Never tried.
I think the underhood temps here in Houston are 100 degrees higher than water.
Do know that using a little lube to get correctly seated the first time was the ticket. It goes right on and is still attached properly at the next oil change.
You might consider ordering another. Wish I had after the first oil change. Would spend 30 minutes fighting it. And it would pull loose soon after. That was the worst part of an oil change.
Now it is threading all the zip ties for my ragged belly pan.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I absolutely loathe this part of the car! Its a never ending battle. I might try the "boil" method but with way lower temperatures using an immersion circulator, that I cook in.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Buy one

Originally Posted by jlbell
I absolutely loathe this part of the car! Its a never ending battle. I might try the "boil" method but with way lower temperatures using an immersion circulator, that I cook in.
I just looked and this part is 26.66 at audiusaparts.com. There was a free shipping special that ended a couple days ago.
I used to get agrevated fighting the original. People told me it was upside down, reversed, backwards, and every other wrong install. But is was warped from someone not reinstalling properly and permantly warped.
Waited a year to purchase a new one. I would buy one every oil change. Life is too short to let a 50 cent plastic part beat you down.
I fought it more than most, been changing the oil at 4,500 - 5,000 mile intervals since getting the car. It looks like it is ready to be changed then.

Quick Reply: Air box question