A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension question

Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcs
The car wont lift at all anymore. But still no suspension light. It doesn't seem to be excessively low, but I noticed the compressor was on while the car was stopped. I haven't noticed that before.

Does the compressor wear out? Or do they always die as a result of the leak. The car has done just over 100k miles now. but the compressor was replaced in 2011.

I don't think the car has leaking struts as the car holds its level fine it just couldn't get to lift mode.

Mike
Of course they wear out- nothing that's mechanical in nature lasts forever. The more the thing runs, the faster it'll wear out- just like anything else. If you want to make sure it runs a lot, spring a leak in the system somewhere, and ignore it. Then it'll wear out in short order.

Yes, the compressors can be overhauled.

It sounds like you have a failed/ failing pump, and possibly a bad valve block. Likely not a leaking strut, since as you say, the car will sit level over time.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Park the car up with jacking mode (disables auto leveling) enabled over night. That will tell you if you have a leak or not and where it is based on which corner or end sinks.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Park the car up with jacking mode (disables auto leveling) enabled over night. That will tell you if you have a leak or not and where it is based on which corner or end sinks.
Yeah I have done that, and the car stayed level. It levels fine in Comfort and Auto and Dynamic, it takes forever to get into lift.

The ride is harsher than it used to be, The car has Sports Air so all the heights except lift are the same.

I think its just a worn compressor. I will simply replace the piston ring, and a seal and see how that goes.

If it goes well, for $30 the rebuild kit costs, I would probably redo it every 1-2 years as a preventative.

Mike
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the rebuild kit on a friends car took about 2 hours. It's fairly simple once you get the wheel liner off. 3 10mm bolts hold it on the car. Once it is off follow these Instructions
Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Or disassemble the motor and epoxy/ JB Weld the loose magnet back in place. Then add glue to the magnet that has not yet failed.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the compressor has "melted down" meaning it has kept running until the motor burns out it is not worth rebuilding. A new compressor is about $500. If the compressor is "weak" it may be worth rebuilding.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Link to the original, well-engineered rebuild kit: BagpipingAndy

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Pressure sensor is integrated into the valve block so not replaceable without changing the valve block. All that kit is located behind the front left wheel arch liner. First thing to try is cleaning up the electrical connectors on it as they may be the cause. If that doesn't work then a new valve block is needed. $250 plus fitting. Competent DIYer job. Just make sure you have car on axle stands/lift otherwise it will hit the deck when you disconnect the airlines and you'll struggle to get a jack back under it.
And may I add that the lines have tiny, fragile ferrules which, if I had to do a valve block R&R, I'd be sure to have spares... or at least be ready to note how they fit and catch any which fall out of the nut when you d/c the air lines (the ferrules start as one piece but have a segmented construction which is prone to break if flexed at all. They still work in two pieces, but you might want some kind of magnifying safety glasses cause they're awfully small and fiddly...)

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Or disassemble the motor and epoxy/ JB Weld the loose magnet back in place. Then add glue to the magnet that has not yet failed.
Doesn't this failure mode create a certain rattling/clacking sound? Has he mentioned that (forgive me if so).

Re the G290 temp sensor and its reporting "implausible" (love that one) signals and over-temp shut offs, you can disconnect it and the module won't even set a DTC! Well how does it function, you ask? There's a built-in algorithm to cycle the pump based on ambient temp, run time, and moon phase. On mine, the wire (attached to the car, naturally) was broken inside the connector strain relief (connector being on the wire 6" or so from the pump). You should check that wire and connector carefully. The unbelievable thing is the wire was about 22ga (like earbud-wire size) and, about four-conductor! The copper was almost brittle! It appears thick because of its insulation.

Link to my adventure, FWIW, and compressor autopsy so you can see what's inside...
and a discount code from Arnott, not sure if it's valid anymore.

Re hissing, there's supposed to be a filter (located at the top of the wheel well after you get the liner off) on the clear in/out line to the compressor; on mine it had detached, and the thing sounded like it had air brakes. Pretty sure it's pictured in my big post; if not it's just like a mower fuel filter about 5X5cm (so relatively large); in fact I googled the # on it and it was a small engine fuel filter. Pretty sure it was original to the car, though.

Lastly, I think you said replaced it already, but new (stupidly located) compressor relay must accompany new compressor, and while you're in there do the $20 brake light switch - save many hard-to-diagnose headaches later on (and they fail a lot). Be aware the switch's plunger self-adjusts and you must not depress the plunger before you install it (and then the brake pedal arm will press it in and set it) because it cannot be undone. (ask me how I know).

-Tom
Old 06-06-2014, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Link to the original, well-engineered rebuild kit: BagpipingAndy

Doesn't this failure mode create a certain rattling/clacking sound? Has he mentioned that (forgive me if so).
Sometimes just a slower motor RPM and low air output as the armature is dragging on the loose magnet.

Sometimes an unusual noise.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 AM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Some developments;

I found the car's coding was 0011310 instead of the 0015510. This meant the car was 20mm lower than the normal sports height at the front and 10mm lower at the rear. (or 40 and 30mm lower than the normal non sports air ride heights)

I have changed it back to 0015510 as the ride was terrible and I don't much care for looks over my own comfort. (If it is too high I will lower it to 0013310 later)

However it seems that the front left strut makes a hissing noise independent of the valve air release thing. The code also added an air leak code to the G291 sensor code.

I suspect I need a new front left strut. The right one was replaced some time ago, I believe the left one is original.

Mike
Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

What brand and where do you guys get struts from?

Arnott don't seem to post internationally, and I am sure the dealer here would want about a hundred and twenty-twelve million for one.

My car has the sports air also, so are the struts different or is it all in the ECU? (I know the part numbers for the struts are different but are they actually changed?)

Also, is there any worth to the remanufactured ones?

Cheers guys.

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Suspension question