A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AllData or Bently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AllData or Bently?

Just bought my used XP laptop so I can get my VCDS cables/software.

Now, I was all set to just get the Bently DVD manuals, but then I saw the price for AllDAta access... $45? I'd have to keep the A8 for nearly 15 years to offset the cost of the DVD's! Now I'm considering the AllData pkg.

How is the AllData pkg? Is it as all-encompassing as the DVD? Might just do that to save a few $$.

I'm basically dropping $1k on the A8 this weekend, so shaving a few pennies here and there will ease the pain. Most of that is in the clear front end wrap, then the computer/software and a little bit toward some noisy bits.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ElsaWin could be another option....
Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

A google searched showed me what ElsaWin was, I didn't know about it. Looks to be free?

How is the data in comparison to Bently DVD's or AllData access?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Free is good. I guess I'll sign up for it if it's free.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default I have both alldata and Bentley

I would say Bentley is more complete as between the two. Many times they are basically the same, and alldata is then is fine at the lower price point. I find it starts to fall down in somewhat more esoteric areas, plus alldata's TSB collection seems much less complete than a Bentley--at least if you bought a Bentley in more recent years. Bentley gives you all the D3 models and motors for all years together, while alldata at least in theory tries to license you by motor. Once in a while given my posts and interests I do want to look across to other motor and related component/model change stuff.

I mostly have both because my primary machine is a Mac. Bentley is stuck back in XP world, which means my very old throwaway laptop I now use only for Bentley and VCDS. alldata is straight web access via any browser, plus that means I can access it off any machine or locale via my login too. I think Elsa Win doesn't add up on a Mac either, and I'll save my hacking and bootcamp and all that stuff for actually working on Audis instead, or for my son to do the OS stuff.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I would like to get shop manuals for the wifeys escalade as well, so maybe I will go the AllData route. I can always pick up a bently down the road, if I need it.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I've got ElsaWin and it seems to be pretty comprehensive. It's readily available on eBay for 10-15 bucks so can't really argue with that.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I use Alldata but I use the pro version for shops. I was not aware of the one vehicle restriction on the home model. I have not used Bentley so I cannot vouch for it but I would trust MP's experience on both.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I have AllData Pro and when looking to pull some interior apart, I was not able to find a thing about it.

I have friends.. was able to view Prodemand... it had everything I wanted to know. Every clip, screw you name it. Being new to Audi, I needed a little bit of which piece comes off first.

Loading ElsaWin right now. If it's the actual dealer manuals, and it's anywhere near as good as GM's ESI, then I'll be set for life.

I might be a manual maniac though.
GM's ESI
AllData Pro
ElsaWin
Access to ProDemand

I read all the new posts and many issues that my car may never have. It acquaints me better with the overall platform.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

BillBoost, please let me know how ElsaWin looks when you get it.

Quick Reply: AllData or Bently?