A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Noise Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds to me like a like a slight TB cover rub or a pulley. It's to hard to isolate a noise from a video though.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a little metal post that screws into a hole on the water pump. When I installed my pump I was about to put everything back together when I noticed it on the old water pump but not on the new one. Swapped it from one to other not really knowing what it was for but figuring it was important. Turns out that metal post pushes the plastic belt cover out in that spot to keep the belt from rubbing. Could be that whoever did your timing job didn't put the metal post on the new water pump.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This picture shows the metal post i'm talking about.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I may have (hopefully) found a culprit, or two. Here's another riveting home movie of the first start of the day:

-It seems as though the (water pump) pulley I focus on in the beginning is loose. I tried to wiggle all of them by hand to see if they were tightened down, and none of them budged. The noise you can hear in the beginning appears to be coming from that area though.

-I also noticed that the TB was not centered on the camshaft pulleys. I'm not sure if it matters for this job, but that's something I was always told to do when replacing a serpentine belt.

-I mentioned earlier how the top part of the TB felt loose; now it is tight.

-The middle TB cover has a nice gouge in it. Oddly enough, that was the only one that I didn't remove last week to check things out. You can clearly see where the pulley was rubbing against it, to the point where it was breaking the plastic. I'm guessing that this is the noise that I heard. The belt still looks fine, luckily.

The next post of mine is going to be a photo dump; sorry in advance. Maybe you guys will see something I don't, or can tell me if I'm way off base with my observations above.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you read my posts above? If the center cover is hitting the water pump pulley it is most likely that pin. I don't see it in the video and it should be visible because it sticks out further than the water pump pulley.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's some photos. Duke, you were right. It appears as though they didn't screw that metal post back into place. I'm hoping they still have it, as it looks like I can get to it without much trouble.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you call my wife and tell her I was right for once? Just kidding she's always right.

Hopefully they have that part as ETKA doesn't show it available separately.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Yes, but why is it making noise with the covers removed?

Obvious that was an issue but that goes away with the covers off. What brand water pump is that? Are you saying the pulley has some play?

Does anyone else notice that the TB roller is not making contact/rotating at all? Those rollers (some 40v have two) don't do a lot but I'm pretty sure the belt makes enough contact so it'll spin. Is the TB so tight that it can't make contact or is the belt trying to rotate the roller and it's seized?

Last edited by A8CT; 09-09-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well caught, Duke. Maybe it's just my questionable hearing, but I don't hear anything that causes me concern in that last video. I wouldn't worry about the roller not making contact constantly, it might when the car is under load. The only purpose of the roller is keep the belt from being able to move much off it's designed path, I don't think it's supposed to provide constant pressure. If it was seized and rubbing, you'd hear it. Not sure about the brand of pump.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Called the shop and they said to come in as soon as I can. Made a 400-mile round trip yesterday/today, and no problems luckily. Again Duke, you saved my ****. I never would have figured it out, and judging by how much time I spent explaining to the shop about what was missing, neither would they. Thanks again!

The water pump is either Continental, or OEM. I believe it's an OEM part; I remember the shop calling and saying that the T-stat and the (I think) water pump I supplied were the incorrect parts so they supplied the OEM ones.

I didn't notice the belt not making contact with the roller, but I do know that it's functional. I spun it just for fun when I had the covers off to make sure it could.

It doesn't quite sound like it did prior to the job, and I noticed that my steering is a little bit stiffer than it was before. I'm going to have the shop take a listen when I bring it back, but I'm guessing they won't find anything unusual either way because they'd be the ones to fix it.

Quick Reply: Another Noise Mystery