A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have this happen ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this happen ?

Hi Folks,

Driving along my CEL comes on and then the dash lights up like a chrismas tree. The low coolant indicator comes on and my temperature gauge drops to 0 (cold), and my a\c starts blowing hot air. I roll down my window and it sounds like my car is a fighter jet. I pull over to check the coolant level and the cooling fans are working overtime. Coolant levels are good, I don't smell any coolant leaks turn the car off. I figure it must be something electrical, maybe my some sending unit going bad... but does that have an effect on the a/c and coolant level? Is there a limp mode ? I let the car sit for a while and restart the car. Everything seems fine...drives fine accerates no stumbling nothing. Not even a CEL light. 20 mins later same thing. So I pulled over in a parking lot left the car there. Figure I'll go back and grab it in the morning, hope I didn't do any addition damage.... Any clues ???? Thanks for any comments or advice !

e

2004 A8L D3 4.2 V8
Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

First question everyone will ask:

VCDS codes?
Old 07-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Safe Mode

Originally Posted by flg8r90
The low coolant indicator comes on and my temperature gauge drops to 0 (cold), and my a\c starts blowing hot air. I roll down my window and it sounds like my car is a fighter jet. I pull over to check the coolant level and the cooling fans are working overtime.
By the temp gauge dropping to "0" then I say replace the G62 temp sensor, and yes all that you stated is what happens as "Safe Mode", no A/C, low coolant warning, fans at full blast, have done the same on my W12.

if you do not have a Ross-Tech for scanning either purchase one or ask on here for someone in your area for help with scan, it's a great tool to have and really is a must with these vehicles, I just did a coding and adaption for a friend today who had to replace headlight modules, that one trip to the dealer almost would pay for the cable if not in full......

Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default G62

Thanks !!!
I need to get the Ross Tech. Is it difficult to replace ? I've done some searching all I seem to find the proceedure to replace it one the W12 . It can't be in the same location ? Totallly different engine. Will i need to clear the codes when I'm done ?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Coolant temp sending unit. Yes, fans kick to high when sensor fails to be sure to protect motor. Still drivable.

On a 4.2 sender is in a metal portion of water line behind the cylinder heads and pretty low down. If setup with the intake tubes between the air box and throttle body is still something like my C5 4.2 was, that needs to come out to even see much of anything in that area.

Sensor is held in by a simple plastic clip. You pull the clip and then with some force sender pulls straight out. With a new o ring fit on the new sensor, it will be harder to get the new one in compared to pulling the old one out.

Yes, get the Ross-Tech VCDS. Std. needed tool for any modern Audi decent DIY.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flg8r90
Will i need to clear the codes when I'm done ?
Yes you will.

Also these are pics of a 05 A8L 4.2 V8, see the sensor circled.
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2015, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

I did one of those on my 1.8t b6...... Well I had to bribe my friend as I literally could not fit my forearms into the area needed to reach it..... Glad to see Audi still hiding them behind the engine and crammed against the firewall.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Keep in mind these photos are with the intake manifold removed. BTDT with the engine installed and the manifold in place.
TIP: buy an extra clip. Trust me on this.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for all your help. Got the part installed and everything seems fine. Pretty straight forward. It's definitely a little difficult to get to but it can be done. This post helped also. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...r-ect-2816308/

Thanks to all those that contributed to that post as well.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad it helped you. Nice to see that searching for prior posts works. For some individuals anyway.

Quick Reply: Anyone have this happen ?