A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here got a Bluetooth OBD adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone here got a Bluetooth OBD adapter?

'Sup guys,

We're developing an Android app for Audi diagnostics and customization/coding: Carista. We need more people with A8s to test our latest beta version, which adds lots of new customization options for the D3 (and many other VAG models too). The app allows you to configure lots of cool things on your D3, as well as do VAG-specific diagnostics of all modules in the car. Check out the links in my signature.

All you need is an ELM327 bluetooth OBD adapter (which costs about $10 on Amazon) and an Android phone or tablet.

Over the next week, whoever sends me a "debug data report" (see below) from an A8 or S8 will get a free trial of the paid features in the app.

So:
Step 1: Get the beta from here: Beta-Testing | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization
Step 2: Send a debug data report from within the app: "Debug menu" -> "Collect debug data" (more detailed instructions at the bottom of the beta page)
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be willing to help iron the kinks out of your software but in Exchange for a free version of the full software.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by haggisuk
I would be willing to help iron the kinks out of your software but in Exchange for a free version of the full software.
Yes, certainly, but it's gonna be time-limited, that's just how it works with Google Play in-app purchases: Google automatically cancels "test purchases" after 14 days. There's no other way to give out paid functionality for free. But yeah, during those 14 days, you can configure everything the way you want it and just leave it that way and never buy the app with real money. No pressure
Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got this exact Bluetooth ODBII reader didn't work with the app I downloaded but am willing to try it out for you. Feel Free to PM me.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I also got one to use with torque software...

If that's the one works with your software then send me your software, I'll test with my beater A6, until I know your software doesn't program something that I don't want then I'll try it on my A8 and Q7.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tested with Galaxy S3 10" tablet and both of these adapters:
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/i...luetooth-1.jpg
http://www.iobd2.org/wp-content/uplo..._3509032_a.jpg

Pros:
Easy to use and install (compared to VCDS, VAS)
Has some good features (headlight programming, instrument cluster language, door locks... can BTW in the A8.etc be programmed via MMI, so totally useless feature to us )
Relatively inexpensive for it's functionality

CONS
It doesn't have any useful realtime data functionality (wheel speeds for ABS, engine data... like VCDS, VAS) to diagnose ABS, ECU, TCU, SRS etc problems, or has it?

Seemed to work well in general, except on my A8L W12 2008, it could only diagnose:
ECU (not with the upper adapter)Drivers door module
Instrument cluster
Comfort control module.
Parking brake
Driver's door module

On Volvo S90 -98 it was only able to diagnose
ECU

A setback was, that it was not able to diagnose ABS, airbags etc on either vehicle.

The A8 has about 40 control units that i don't care to list here, and the S90 has:
ECU, TCU, ABS, ECC, SRS, Cruise, elecric seats (2), Alarm, and it was able to diagnose none of these.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
'Sup guys,

We're developing an Android app for Audi diagnostics and customization/coding: Carista. We need more people with A8s to test our latest beta version, which adds lots of new customization options for the D3 (and many other VAG models too). The app allows you to configure lots of cool things on your D3, as well as do VAG-specific diagnostics of all modules in the car. Check out the links in my signature.

All you need is an ELM327 bluetooth OBD adapter (which costs about $10 on Amazon) and an Android phone or tablet.

Over the next week, whoever sends me a "debug data report" (see below) from an A8 or S8 will get a free trial of the paid features in the app.

So:
Step 1: Get the beta from here: Beta-Testing | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization
Step 2: Send a debug data report from within the app: "Debug menu" -> "Collect debug data" (more detailed instructions at the bottom of the beta page)
Are you working with, or are you part of Ross-Tech? If not, you need to. If someone buys something from you and it turns out that even one little thing does not work, buyers will be calling Ross Tech for help and they will say something to the effect of "sorry, not our product, untested, not approved. If it don't work, it don't work.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fez2013
I've got this exact Bluetooth ODBII reader didn't work with the app I downloaded but am willing to try it out for you. Feel Free to PM me.
Do you mean that you tried it with Carista, or with some other app? If it was with Carista, please use the "Report problem" button inside the app when you get an error message - that will send me info on what the exact error is. But if you have a defective ELM device or a device that's not compatible with your Android phone, then my app can't do anything about that :/

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
If that's the one works with your software then send me your software, I'll test with my beater A6, until I know your software doesn't program something that I don't want then I'll try it on my A8 and Q7.

Cheers,

Louis
Yes, it should work. Please get the beta version of the app from here: Beta-Testing | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization and give it a try. Don't worry, it won't mess up anything on your cars. If you send me a "debug data" report from each car before you start changing settings on it, that report will serve as a backup of your coding settings (and will also be useful to us for development purposes, so please do that). There's info on how to send a debug data report at the bottom of the beta page... but basically it's: menu -> Debug menu -> Collect debug data.

Oh, and if the beater A6 you're referring to is the '96 in your signature, it won't work. The app is only compatible 2005+ A6s (and in general, VAG cars that use the CAN protocol). See Supported Vehicles | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
Tested with Galaxy S3 10" tablet and both of these adapters:
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/i...luetooth-1.jpg
http://www.iobd2.org/wp-content/uplo..._3509032_a.jpg

Pros:
Easy to use and install (compared to VCDS, VAS)
Has some good features (headlight programming, instrument cluster language, door locks... can BTW in the A8.etc be programmed via MMI, so totally useless feature to us )
Relatively inexpensive for it's functionality

CONS
It doesn't have any useful realtime data functionality (wheel speeds for ABS, engine data... like VCDS, VAS) to diagnose ABS, ECU, TCU, SRS etc problems, or has it?

Seemed to work well in general, except on my A8L W12 2008, it could only diagnose:
ECU (not with the upper adapter)Drivers door module
Instrument cluster
Comfort control module.
Parking brake
Driver's door module

On Volvo S90 -98 it was only able to diagnose
ECU

A setback was, that it was not able to diagnose ABS, airbags etc on either vehicle.

The A8 has about 40 control units that i don't care to list here, and the S90 has:
ECU, TCU, ABS, ECC, SRS, Cruise, elecric seats (2), Alarm, and it was able to diagnose none of these.
Thank you for testing! Just to confirm: did you use the beta version of Carista or just the regular one that's available on Google Play Store?

So to clarify about the diagnostics:
For your A8: all control units should be supported. Carista displays a list of fault codes ONLY from the control units that HAVE fault codes. But that doesn't mean it doesn't support the others. Or do you know that some other module in your car has errors, but was not displayed in Carista?

For your Volvo: Carista does not support any Volvo-specific diagnostics and for that reason, it's only able to diagnose the drivetrain control units via the standard OBD2 protocol, just like the many OBD2 apps out there. That means the engine and transmission ECUs. Again, it will only show you errors as "OBD2" errors without specifying which module they came from.

If you're not using the beta, please get the beta. And then send me a debug data report from the slide-out menu -> "Debug menu" -> "Collect debug data". Thanks very much.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Are you working with, or are you part of Ross-Tech? If not, you need to. If someone buys something from you and it turns out that even one little thing does not work, buyers will be calling Ross Tech for help and they will say something to the effect of "sorry, not our product, untested, not approved. If it don't work, it don't work.
Wait, what? No, we are not part of Ross-Tech... we are kind of competitors. Why would our customers be calling Ross-Tech?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Wait, what? No, we are not part of Ross-Tech... we are kind of competitors. Why would our customers be calling Ross-Tech?
I didn't realize that "Carista" was a full software diagnostics package. That's why I said what I said. I never heard of it until your post yesterday.

Quick Reply: Anyone here got a Bluetooth OBD adapter?