A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANYONE INTERESTED IN ALUMINUM BELLY PANS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANYONE INTERESTED IN ALUMINUM BELLY PANS

Hey we all with the A8's have issues with the lousy belly pans getting damaged and they cost to damn much to replace from the dealer. i contacted a manufacturing company that's willing to produce them for me in aluminum. that means they will be longer lasting and way worth replacing then the oem plastic ones. The cost of one should be 280-320 flat with shipping included. would any of you here be intrested ?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That may be a good idea but I would start with a prototype. Belly pan is there, besides splash protection, for the sound insulation. Aluminum may act as a resonator, or may not. Prototype would say that.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd be interested if the connecting screws and connection points were well built and meant to last. Also, a prototype would be a great idea, if you need "beta" testers, I volunteer.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am interested if it is well made such as a PanzerPlate or similar! Thanks - MJ
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The plastic belly pan is designed to be able to take some punishment and in doing so flex without permanent damage. An aluminum one wouldn't flex and would just permanently dent/bend.

If you made it stronger, it would then just transfer those loads to other parts of the bodywork not designed to take it and damage those instead...and probably very expensively.

I think you'd be better off improving the fixings on the existing plastic one to make it easier to remove and refit.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
That may be a good idea but I would start with a prototype. Belly pan is there, besides splash protection, for the sound insulation. Aluminum may act as a resonator, or may not. Prototype would say that.
Well said mishar. The BVQ generates a lot of noises. The OP would be undoing tons of R&D which makes the D3 as refined as it is.

As a product developer, I recommend looking into some kind soft material that you can layer on top of the aluminum plate. It won't exactly be engineered and optimized, but should be a significant improvement in terms of acoustics.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed an aluminum belly pan on my daughter's B5 Passat, it's anchored at two points to a stronger suspension cross member.
The oil pan hangs out forward of the wheels, almost level with the bumper, and is therefore susceptible to things like parking curb damage.
Under light impact aluminum would just scratch and do it's job, where in the same case plastic would allow damage to the oil pan.
Aluminum deforms under strong impact, but being malleable can be easily hammered flat again.
I'd buy an aluminum belly pan if it was available for the D3, as insurance against the stray night time highway rock that took out a rim, but could have just as easily hit the oil pan.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now you got me thinking, as the lead cnc programmer at a 200 man shop i have quite a bit of freedom with our lasers and panel formers after hours. what kind of quantity are you looking at to get the panels at that price? that actually seems very low for anything low volume, given the size of the panels. also what material type are you looking at? i was thinking .0625 (1.59mm) 5052 aluminum with 1" angle welded down the center for support. their may need to be some sort of rubberized coating on it to help dampen noise also (as mishar pointed out). something like dynamat will be far to heavy and most likely damage mounting points or bow the pan due to weight. i could easily see this needing to come with a kit to upgrade mounting points. just some quick thoughts on it.... i like your idea though. audi.... panzer.... same thing by the time this thread is over
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Just so y'all don't have to re-invent the wheel, there are a couple companies already doing these "skid plates" for several VAG cars.

(I believe these panels are fitted for aero-smoothing and noise attenuation, not skidding over things They also have a significant impact on keeping the engine bay cleaner and preventing those turbo actuators from early rotting/failure. )
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How about PVC

Originally Posted by MiMitch
Now you got me thinking, as the lead cnc programmer at a 200 man shop i have quite a bit of freedom with our lasers and panel formers after hours. what kind of quantity are you looking at to get the panels at that price? that actually seems very low for anything low volume, given the size of the panels. also what material type are you looking at? i was thinking .0625 (1.59mm) 5052 aluminum with 1" angle welded down the center for support. their may need to be some sort of rubberized coating on it to help dampen noise also (as mishar pointed out). something like dynamat will be far to heavy and most likely damage mounting points or bow the pan due to weight. i could easily see this needing to come with a kit to upgrade mounting points. just some quick thoughts on it.... i like your idea though. audi.... panzer.... same thing by the time this thread is over
I would be very happy with a new plastic belly pan. The original has lasted 10 years. Another will outlast the car.

Quick Reply: ANYONE INTERESTED IN ALUMINUM BELLY PANS