A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdizzy
Hello Everyone.
I too am experiencing similar issues with my suspension on my 2006 A8L. It sits very low in the front (close to bottoming out) I get yellow and green indicator lights when i start the car then they go off. Every now and again the green light pops up. After bad experiences with my local Audi dealer I took the car to a very respectable shop I have done business with in the past. They checked out the issue and stated the following:

Both air struts were leaking which has caused my compressor to overwork and go bad. End result all three components need to be replaced.
Total -roughly $4300 my expectation was $2300. After getting up off the floor and having Mickey hit me with some smelling salt I had a couple of questions.

The Questions are:
1. Does that diagnosis sound correct?
2. The prices quoted were for their parts. They are open to letting me resource my own parts.
3. Any recommendations on where to resource. My order of preference are:
a. New
b. rebuilt
c. used - out of the question

Any input is gladly appreciate.

Thanks
Diagnosis could well be correct. None of us could really tell you better w/out being there. Best advice is back to have a reliable mechanic. Only maybe tweak is to say issue could be on just one side if they haven't leak checked. If they think that could be true, do the one that drops the fastest first. Add to the parts list the compressor relay BTW. Like a $20 part, but important to avoid more pump issues.

Biggest thing you can do to take big bucks out of cost is not use Audi dealer air strut units. $1500-1600 discounted, each. More so since you will probably be doing a pair--and don't have to worry about possible mismatches to a used existing factory one. Conventional thinking is can be done one at a time, but always residual doubts on differential wear. You can now get the Arnott units in new parts. They do rebuilt too, but their new ones are almost the same price. Those are approx. half the dealer prices, so you can get both struts for about $1600 combined. They also posted a discount code here recently if you search for a little more price reduction. So did a CA based Audi on line discount dealer if you go that way for some reason; below Sunset's/audiusaparts.com pricing as a result that I usually use. Scroll down to prior threads for those. I have some vague concerns about Arnott's new struts and think some of the parts used may be China sourced that they aren't talking about so much, but in your case the $ are compelling. Most likely failure point with air bags are Euro/Continental sourced so that's good. You can also source the same compressor via WABCO branding and cut a bunch of $ out too. Compressor also being sold as "Meissner" around the web, though I'm not really sure of its sourcing. Arnott has compressors too, but I have seen cheaper prices (new) on various places on web, including EBay based sellers. Finally, consider if you do use one supplier like Arnott, maybe you want mechanic to source parts even if you might pay a little more so you then have some kind of overall install warranty (assuming that's true from this mechanic) instead of possible finger pointing later if something goes wrong again. As in, mechanics usually cover parts and labor along with it only if they sourced the part.

If you haven't done upper control arms, add that to list BTW. Those come out with struts I think, so a good time to replace labor wise. On those, forget aftermarket junk or you will likely just do job again quickly. Lemforder OES or dealer. You can just press out the bushings to take $ out, and if you are at a shop they may have a press.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-05-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Diagnosis could well be correct. None of us could really tell you better w/out being there. Best advice is back to have a reliable mechanic. Only maybe tweak is to say issue could be on just one side if they haven't leak checked. If they think that could be true, do the one that drops the fastest first. Add to the parts list the compressor relay BTW. Like a $20 part, but important to avoid more pump issues.

Biggest thing you can do to take big bucks out of cost is not use Audi dealer air strut units. $1500-1600 discounted, each. More so since you will probably be doing a pair--and don't have to worry about possible mismatches to a used existing factory one. Conventional thinking is can be done one at a time, but always residual doubts on differential wear. You can now get the Arnott units in new parts. They do rebuilt too, but their new ones are almost the same price. Those are approx. half the dealer prices, so you can get both struts for about $1600 combined. They also posted a discount code here recently if you search for a little more price reduction. So did a CA based Audi on line discount dealer if you go that way for some reason; below Sunset's/audiusaparts.com pricing as a result that I usually use. Scroll down to prior threads for those. I have some vague concerns about Arnott's new struts and think some of the parts used may be China sourced that they aren't talking about so much, but in your case the $ are compelling. Most likely failure point with air bags are Euro/Continental sourced so that's good. You can also source the same compressor via WABCO branding and cut a bunch of $ out too. Compressor also being sold as "Meissner" around the web, though I'm not really sure of its sourcing. Arnott has compressors too, but I have seen cheaper prices (new) on various places on web, including EBay based sellers. Finally, consider if you do use one supplier like Arnott, maybe you want mechanic to source parts even if you might pay a little more so you then have some kind of overall install warranty (assuming that's true from this mechanic) instead of possible finger pointing later if something goes wrong again. As in, mechanics usually cover parts and labor along with it only if they sourced the part.

If you haven't done upper control arms, add that to list BTW. Those come out with struts I think, so a good time to replace labor wise. On those, forget aftermarket junk or you will likely just do job again quickly. Lemforder OES or dealer. You can just press out the bushings to take $ out, and if you are at a shop they may have a press.
Thanks for the quick and informative response. I have nothing but positives to say about all my interactions on this site.

I really trust the guys at the shop they have always done right by me. When the tech told me his findings he did say he checked for leaks. I did some browsing and found a ebay seller that had re-manned air struts for for 779.00 for the pair by RMT Suspension. Have you heard of them? They come with a limited lifetime warranty(I am contacting the vendor to see what that means). I looked at the Arnott struts and they look good also. Its just of matter of sorting out difference in cost versus difference in quality...you know how it goes.

I also found a WABCO air compressor that comes with relay for 517.99.

I am still looking into the control arms.

here are the links
Compressor
Kompressor Audi A8 Luftfederung Nur Benziner 6 8 Zylinder Wabco | eBay

Struts
Audi A8 Quattro Front Rebuild Normal Suspension Air Spring Bag Struts Pair | eBay
Old 10-06-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebuild Master Tech also has the pump and relay for $599 - $50 for your old pump for a total of $549. They are located in Florida, so shipping time is greatly reduced from Germany. Take a look HERE.

I had very good luck with this company.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I picked up a air compressor from the Junk Yard for $100. A new piston and ring kit from Bag Piping Andy and I was good to go. For less than $200 I have a spare compressor ready to go.

Andy has more than just piston ring kits. Just send him an email.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend RMT, bought front left air strut for my 06 a8 L from them and ended up getting air compressor few months later. I ignored the small air leak for a while which caused the compressor to go out. I did try the 'bag piping' repair but it only lasted few months and ended up buying compressor from RMT but i have heard many many people who have used 'Bag Piping' repair and compressor continues to work fine.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Suspension Newbie Question

I have read through this thread and still don't understand one issue. If the front end droops but not the back how can this be a compressor issue? Once the compressor fails won't the rear fall as well? There is only one compressor right?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by kkrull
I have read through this thread and still don't understand one issue. If the front end droops but not the back how can this be a compressor issue? Once the compressor fails won't the rear fall as well? There is only one compressor right?
Air retained in system w/ out compressor if it is all in order. Why it doesn't need to run compressor every time and why it should hold ride height. Thus if on new install or related work and it is not yet pumped up for that part of system, car will be dropped for that area. If big leak, pump can never overcome it. Valve block and suspension position sensors at each corner deal with this and regulate each corner separately. Only one compressor. Not like the old Citroen's where whole car rises on start up.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-13-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kkrull
Like MP has said the system has different zones for want of a better term and each strut is given air independently of each other so it can be levelled as needed.

The struts front to rear also require different pressures to operate and its no surprise that the front is greater at 9.5bar max vs 6.5bar at the rear.

When new the air compressor is capable of putting out 16bar max

I have modified the label file to perform bleeding and charging tests using Basic settings drop down.

This will enable those with VCDS to test the compressor and the front & rear axle in isolation.

The info is on the net to be found all I have done is inserted into the label file for convenience.

Unzip the attachment into your C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels\User folder

Then when you next run VCDS on the car you will be able to perform the tests mentioned above.

You will need to enter security code first, Hover over input box for the code

then goto basic settings 04 and use the drop down.

You can see the results of bleeding front and rear axles and where I got the info from here

Also if you want an easy way of isolating a strut to test it see this thread

Have fun
Attached Files
File Type: zip
4E0-910-553.lbl.zip (3.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks MP4.2+6.0 and haggisuk

By the way if anyone has 265x35x19 tires and drives on the collapsed front suspension the tire's inside edge will rub and eventually be destroyed. I know most don't go that wide on 8.5" rims but looking at one I think even a 255mm width, which is pretty common, would get damaged.

Last edited by kkrull; 11-13-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't recommend driving with collapsed suspension regardless of what tire you have on the car.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem