A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 D3 MMI 2G Custom Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Car Video Interfaces. MOST Adapters. GVIF for Audi

Also more of the same on Ebay.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
This is the same company that I got my interface from. The interface plugs in the loop inbetween the screen and MMI module. So it takes what ever the MMI module sends it then adds whatever is plugged into the interface before sending it to the screen. If you want RVC and don't have FBAS this is the way to go for real.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Yes that's it. I too have the "c" revision park system controller and have the graphical display. However what I don't understand is how you got the dynamic lines, and the sensor graphic superimposed onto the RVC image? Where does the video signal for that come from? From what I understand, those multimedia interfaces just interrupt the video signal from the MMI controller to the screen, not combine them.

Or can they combine the video signal from the MMI controller and whatever other video source you have connected to the multimedia controller?
Sorry for the late reply been busy, I don't have none of those posted here, the one I have is small, it's not really sold anywhere yet, its a test unit, it use can bus signal from the drive and convince system, notice in my first video I can also use the steering wheel to flip the signals. I didn't have to run no wires to the reverse light either, all the wires up front under the dash, the camera is wireless, just has an idea I have the ability model parking module which was originally I'm going to put it back it and see if it shows graphics also, didn't think of that
Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Ok, so the interface mixes the video signal from the mmi controller and camera and displays that on the screen, I get that. However what I don't get is where does the video signal for the dynamic lines and the parking sensor graphic that's superimposed on the image come from? Presumably it comes from the mmi unit so is it as simple as coding it for RVC and it then outputs the dynamic lines video signal instead of the full screen parking sensor graphic?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default CAN Bus

where does the video signal for the dynamic lines and the parking sensor graphic that's superimposed on the image come from?
When I add RVC to my 06, I need the 4E0 910 441 controller. This one is controlled by can bus. What after market units that capable do is to duplicate the 4E0 910 441 function inside their boxes, and they must tap into the CAN bus. When the back up camera is activated, all the lines are from the CAN BUS display on top of the Video screen, but the video screen now is inside the box, then muxed to the MMI screen. Hope this help.

Watch out when you buy the old one without the CAN BUS, those line won't exist. If any video interface WITHOUT the CAN BUS, guarantee NO lines.

Now for the graphical display showing the back up sensors being activated, you need the 4E0 919 283 C which only exists in 2006, if the box has this one built in it, it will show, but I doubt it does. the original one will show which corner is close to the bumper.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 04-30-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

But Shamoyne seems to have an OEM style RVC display with dynamic lines and the parking sensor graphic showing too. He said he has an '04 with no FBAS, just an updated park sensor controller (graphical one) and a basic video interface, so presumably no CAN interface. If so then the mmi controller must be providing the lines and sensor graphic video signal that's then mixed with the RVC video signal.

That's what I don't get, how he's got all that to work apparently without anything more than a basic video interface and parking sensor controller upgrade.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@dvs_dave is right I don't have FBAS and I have the C controller and @ltooz_a6_a8_q7 I don't have the 4E0910441 controller,

I am using a test video interface with CAN BUS connection firmware still getting tuned,

I did preinstall the C model park aid before I installed the unit
I never tried it with the A model park aid, which I still have,
I'm going to try the A model though.....

sorry didn't take much pics, I keep getting interrupted at the shop and then it got late..

But This is what My MMI Box looks like when it was out....

The outer lines is the Dynamic lines from the interface the inner one is the cheap camera burn in lines lol, I order one without lines so I can have it more stock.....

this is the basic config screen, the Rear Vide has 4 options. OFF - VIDEO ONLY (No Lines or Parking Sensor) - TRACK (Dynamic Lines ONLY) - TRACKRADAR (Both Dynamic Lines & Parking Sensors

Last edited by Shamoye Lewis; 04-30-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Ok, so you have an interface with CANbus that's specific to the Audi MMI 2g system. Now it's clear, and not such a basic multimedia interface afterall.

So where can you get media interfaces with CANbus compatible with MMI 2g from?Where did you get your prototype interface from? Who makes it and how much do they cost? Wierd that such a product is being developed now given that MMI 2g has been out of production since 2009.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so you have an interface with CANbus that's specific to the Audi MMI 2g system. Now it's clear, and not such a basic multimedia interface afterall.

So where can you get media interfaces with CANbus compatible with MMI 2g from?Where did you get your prototype interface from? Who makes it and how much do they cost? Wierd that such a product is being developed now given that MMI 2g has been out of production since 2009.
I do believe the one in the link posted previously in the thread does this.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Video Interface for Audi MMI 2G Buy Online

There is a link on the page to download the manual

Quick Reply: Audi A8 D3 MMI 2G Custom Entertainment System