A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 D3 MMI 2G Custom Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi A8 D3 MMI 2G Custom Entertainment System

I'm trying to complete the Front Zone by this weekend but as soon as I get a break in the shop, my name is called left to right, come look at this, come fix this, scan this car, program this car, gotta stealth myself

Anyways
So far working/done:
  • Video Playback on stock MMI 2G Panel
  • Steering Angle Backup Camera
  • DVD Player with builtin USB & SD for video/music Playback controlled via MMI Controls
  • ATSC M/H TV Tuner (was not in the video because the antenna is not connected yet)
  • Rear center cigarette port converted to USB Charging power,

To Do:
  • Finish Front So the car looks like a car again
  • Dash USB charging and aux ports (don't smoke don't need cigarette port) always populated with USB charger
  • Rear head rest, cant find suitable ones for the A8 and Im not trying to destroy my electronic head rest
  • Rear Wireless Headphones,
  • Rear Media Controls
  • More maybe

Note:
  • Dont tell me my airbag light is on I know because the knee bag is disconnect until Im done.....
  • CD Changer was not connecting in this video, not looking for the Optical cables to catch between something and end the show

Sneak Peak

Video was recorded in the night with while the car was still in pieces, better will come soon
Yes its the original screen... No I'm not using FBAS, Might change the lcd to Higher Resolution.....

Under the Left side of the Dash, it was looking worst at the start... Still got some cleaning up to do, waiting on part in the mail (USPS -__-)

Factory CD Changer an DVD Player In Glove Box

Left Side of the Car in tack lol
Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Doing the similar thing to my front just waiting on an ali plate to be machined for a fascia plate to go into my front cigarette lighter.
For my head rest I used Rosen units and hacked them apart and joined them to my headrests because i wanted to keep my comfort headrests. I had to recover them though and use some leather spray to get the match.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Doing the similar thing to my front just waiting on an ali plate to be machined for a fascia plate to go into my front cigarette lighter.
For my head rest I used Rosen units and hacked them apart and joined them to my headrests because i wanted to keep my comfort headrests. I had to recover them though and use some leather spray to get the match.
Cool for cigarette lighter I use this

post a pic of your head rest, Im trying to make the RSE headrest close to stock or not to shabby looking..... might have to pull out my 3D printer for that....

also I want to 3D print a RSE controls with LCD.... but i dunno yet.... I sometime get to busy.... but this I want to finish.....

Did you A8 come with backup camera.... mines didnt and Im not in the mood to install the stock camera system and FBAS system too much work with to less options Im using this camera

its ok but I want to get the stock camera because the one I have had lines as seen in the video and it kinda of mess with the setting angle lines, so Im gonna hunt a stock and just connect it to my current camera setup.... Im using a wireless camera setup... so I will need to change the head or get an adapter if I use the stock camera...

in the glove box next to the Changer Im using this DVD/BLURAY/USB/SD Media Player I can control it from MMI Controller it had both RCA and HDMI outputs, and the USB port can use a hub so I'm putting a USB plug in the dash using the plug above and one in the glove box for HDD or permanent storage, upfront one Ill use for quick access...

in a few day I should have better pics and video...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

How did you do the RVC with dynamic guide lines and sensor graphic without FBAS and all the other various module swaps needed?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My car did not have RVC but i have the option of adding it with this which I installed

Car Video Interface Multimedia Adapter for Audi with MMI 2G Head Unit | eBay

My parking assist at the moment is real good and i'm not sure if the camera will improve it or not so may add it when I am bored.

i do not have dvd player in the front (but the option to add it, plug and play) and will be storing video on usb stick/hard drive/Mem card. I can send the video to the back seats or receive video (DVD) to the front screen MMI. I have not had time to programme the MMI buttons yet but will have a play next week when i get the plate. I will post pic of H rest I'll take a pic later today.I just used the old rosen AV7500 as there are loads quite cheap on ebay since the new nodels came out and I new i wanted to hack them. You will have to cut a groove out of the bottom of the post of the factory headrest if you decide to mod it so that the cable can fit through.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My car did not have RVC but i have the option of adding it with this which I installed

My parking assist at the moment is real good and i'm not sure if the camera will improve it or not so may add it when I am bored.

i do not have dvd player in the front (but the option to add it, plug and play) and will be storing video on usb stick/hard drive/Mem card. I can send the video to the back seats or receive video (DVD) to the front screen MMI. I have not had time to programme the MMI buttons yet but will have a play next week when i get the plate. I will post pic of H rest I'll take a pic later today.I just used the old rosen AV7500 as there are loads quite cheap on ebay since the new nodels came out and I new i wanted to hack them. You will have to cut a groove out of the bottom of the post of the factory headrest if you decide to mod it so that the cable can fit through.
Has anyone installed the touch screen with this interface ??
Old 04-28-2016, 02:06 AM
Engineer

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
How did you do the RVC with dynamic guide lines and sensor graphic without FBAS and all the other various module swaps needed?
if you mean this

I have the 2006 Audi A8L Parking Aid Module 4E0919283C swapped out the A model
if you watch the video closely you will notice the sensor graphics don't come up unless the parking aid is triggered

I have a video interface like what storka say but it doesn't have all that stuff, its basic...

Last edited by Shamoye Lewis; 04-28-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes that's it. I too have the "c" revision park system controller and have the graphical display. However what I don't understand is how you got the dynamic lines, and the sensor graphic superimposed onto the RVC image? Where does the video signal for that come from? From what I understand, those multimedia interfaces just interrupt the video signal from the MMI controller to the screen, not combine them.

Or can they combine the video signal from the MMI controller and whatever other video source you have connected to the multimedia controller?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default They sell these video audio interfaces for the car...

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Yes that's it. I too have the "c" revision park system controller and have the graphical display. However what I don't understand is how you got the dynamic lines, and the sensor graphic superimposed onto the RVC image? Where does the video signal for that come from? From what I understand, those multimedia interfaces just interrupt the video signal from the MMI controller to the screen, not combine them.

Or can they combine the video signal from the MMI controller and whatever other video source you have connected to the multimedia controller?
What it does is muxing the video and audio from the interface units and the original MMI output to the screen. You will need Video box and Audio box to have both.

The output of the MMI will go to the interface box, output of the interface box goes to the MMI screen. The interface box also has the MOST bus to select. This is also a good way to add back up camera without adding the FBAS unit.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-29-2016, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 D3 MMI 2G Custom Entertainment System